HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

WAIVERS - Does anybody know how it works?

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Sam I Am

vCash: 500
WAIVERS - Does anybody know how it works?

Can anybody out there offer a coherent explanation of the nesw rules reagarding waivers? How can you claim a player? In that time period? Going down or up or both? Does the claiming team have to trim its roster? Does the original team have to pay half the salary and under what circumstances?

It's crazy that no one really seems to know...

Old
10-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Snap Wilson

A player with three or more years of professional (not just NHL) experience is subject to waivers when being sent down. A player who is making more than $75k in the AHL is subject to waivers when being called up.

Teams have 24 hours to claim a player on waivers. Priority is in order of this year's entry draft (Pittsburgh #1, Anaheim #2, etc.) They must keep the player on the NHL roster, though, or else... you guessed it, the player becomes subject to waivers again. Wade Brookbank had quite an NHL oddysey in 2003-04 because of this rule.

The waiving team only has to pay half the salary (and take half of the cap hit) of a player claimed on waivers coming up, not down. Yes, the claiming team would have to trim their roster if adding the claimed player's salary meant they exceeded the salary cap or it put them over the 23-man limit.

Clear as mud?

Old
10-04-2005, 12:35 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
A player with three or more years of professional (not just NHL) experience is subject to waivers when being sent down. A player who is making more than $75k in the AHL is subject to waivers when being called up.

Teams have 24 hours to claim a player on waivers. Priority is in order of this year's entry draft (Pittsburgh #1, Anaheim #2, etc.) They must keep the player on the NHL roster, though, or else... you guessed it, the player becomes subject to waivers again. Wade Brookbank had quite an NHL oddysey in 2003-04 because of this rule.

The waiving team only has to pay half the salary (and take half of the cap hit) of a player claimed on waivers coming up, not down. Yes, the claiming team would have to trim their roster if adding the claimed player's salary meant they exceeded the salary cap or it put them over the 23-man limit.

Clear as mud?
Where did you get this information. I can't dind any thing about waivers on the new CBA. Are you sure about the half salary. Also if a player clears waivers and returns to the AHL and his contract pays him 150,000 in the AHL, wouldn't that players entire AHL salary count against his NHL teams salary cap. I know that anyone over 75,000 has to clear waivers going both up and down.

Old
10-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Where did you get this information. I can't dind any thing about waivers on the new CBA.
Various news sources. I'm not going to bother to list them all. They've appeared in several articles that have been linked from this very board. Or set up a Google Alert for "NHL waivers."

Quote:
Are you sure about the half salary.
Yes.

Quote:
Also if a player clears waivers and returns to the AHL and his contract pays him 150,000 in the AHL, wouldn't that players entire AHL salary count against his NHL teams salary cap.
No, players in the AHL don't count against the cap regardless of salary.

Quote:
I know that anyone over 75,000 has to clear waivers going both up and down.
No, they don't. Your salary going down doesn't matter. It's only three years of professional experience.

Feel free to provide a link contradicting anything I've said above.

Old
10-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Various news sources. I'm not going to bother to list them all. They've appeared in several articles that have been linked from this very board. Or set up a Google Alert for "NHL waivers."

Yes.

No, players in the AHL don't count against the cap regardless of salary.

No, they don't. Your salary going down doesn't matter. It's only three years of professional experience.

Feel free to provide a link contradicting anything I've said above.
Almost everything you said is correct. Except the 3 years professional service part. The amount of professional service required goes down as the players age goes up. A 26 year old player would be subject to waivers with only one game of NHL experience.

Old
10-04-2005, 01:27 PM
OpinionatedMike

Alright, if people here seem to know enough about the waiver question I have a few questions...

It's just players getting called up, who are claimed, whose salaries are split?
So this Andy Delmore being sent down and claimed means nothing to the Red Wings Cap?

Also, let us assume that Boston goes to recall John Smith - 450,000K salary, and is picked up on waivers by Buffalo half of his total salary is then split by Boston and Buffalo? Or is it half of his remaining salary depending on the year? Since he won't be getting paid the full 450K if he's called up mid-season he's be getting 225K if called up at the 41 game mark.

Also, what happens if Buffalo sends him down, John Smith clears, and then is recalled but now Vancouver takes him, does Buffalo now split that difference with Vancouver? So now Boston Pays Half and Buffalo and Vancouver each pay a quarter?

What if it was Boston that reclaimed him? Do they return with the full cap hit? of do they still split the difference with Buffalo?

Old
10-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedMike
Alright, if people here seem to know enough about the waiver question I have a few questions...

It's just players getting called up, who are claimed, whose salaries are split?
So this Andy Delmore being sent down and claimed means nothing to the Red Wings Cap?

Also, let us assume that Boston goes to recall John Smith - 450,000K salary, and is picked up on waivers by Buffalo half of his total salary is then split by Boston and Buffalo? Or is it half of his remaining salary depending on the year? Since he won't be getting paid the full 450K if he's called up mid-season he's be getting 225K if called up at the 41 game mark.

Also, what happens if Buffalo sends him down, John Smith clears, and then is recalled but now Vancouver takes him, does Buffalo now split that difference with Vancouver? So now Boston Pays Half and Buffalo and Vancouver each pay a quarter?

What if it was Boston that reclaimed him? Do they return with the full cap hit? of do they still split the difference with Buffalo?
To answer your first question...no it does not affect Detroit's cap number.

In reference to the rest.....This scenario probably would never happen. But the remaining salary/cap hit would be split between the two teams. If his new team tried to send him down then another team could pick him up for his 1/2 cap status. If he cleared again then the chances of him being called up a second time are almost nil. But once the second team sent the player back to the minors his original team would be off the hook for half of his salary/cap hit. If he was called up again and claimed the 50/50 split would start all over again. But the original team would no longer be involved.

Last edited by Captain Ron: 10-04-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old
10-04-2005, 01:52 PM
boredmale

Quote:
this makes no sense, i personally think you should have to pay the salary if you send the guy down. I think this rule will stop teams from calling guys up in fear people will pick up the guy in question.

Any clue what the rule is if you trade a guy who plays for your farm team? ie you trade a guy on your farm team to another team for a draft pick or another player, does that guy have to pass waivers?

Old
10-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
this makes no sense, i personally think you should have to pay the salary if you send the guy down. I think this rule will stop teams from calling guys up in fear people will pick up the guy in question.
Exactly....that is why the rule is put there. The NHL did not want teams to hide players making big salaries in the AHL in order to circumvent the cap. With this new rule you can put a guy on a 1-way contract in the minors.....but you will not be able to bring him back for the rest of the season. Unless you wanted to risk losing him while still paying half of his salary/cap hit.

Old
10-04-2005, 02:01 PM
OpinionatedMike

Ok, so your understanding is that his salary would just continue to get split X amount of ways as he was plucked from the waiver wire.

What about the salary remaining. If someone is called up mid season and has a 450K salary, then when being called up (assuming he stays up the whole year) he'll be owed 225K, if he's grabbed in waivers, I can only assume that it's the 225K that's "split" between the two teams.

Old
10-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedMike
Ok, so your understanding is that his salary would just continue to get split X amount of ways as he was plucked from the waiver wire.

What about the salary remaining. If someone is called up mid season and has a 450K salary, then when being called up (assuming he stays up the whole year) he'll be owed 225K, if he's grabbed in waivers, I can only assume that it's the 225K that's "split" between the two teams.
No, once he was sent down to the minors by team "B" then team "A" would then be off the hook for the half salary/cap hit. If team "B" recalled the player again and he was claimed again then the 50/50 split would then be between team "B" and team "C"....and so on and so on.

Old
10-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
Almost everything you said is correct. Except the 3 years professional service part. The amount of professional service required goes down as the players age goes up. A 26 year old player would be subject to waivers with only one game of NHL experience.
Okay, I do recall something about that.

Old
10-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
Any clue what the rule is if you trade a guy who plays for your farm team? ie you trade a guy on your farm team to another team for a draft pick or another player, does that guy have to pass waivers?
No. A number of these trades have already taken place. Craig Adams for Bruno St. Jacques, Michael Leighton for Milan Bartovic...

Old
10-04-2005, 03:45 PM
buffalu

Injuries??

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an exemption on injury call ups where they don't have to go through waivers?

Old
10-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalu
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an exemption on injury call ups where they don't have to go through waivers?
At this point this question is unknown. It has not been addressed in any article and the CBA has not been released to the public.

Old
10-04-2005, 10:04 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:

Clear as mud?
Mostly right (as far as I understand it) - repeat the mantra - Release the whole CBA dammit.

Exemption from waivers isn't just based on years of professional experience - it's based on number of NHL games played (60-160 for skaters, 60-80 for goalies) based on age and number of years from first professional contract.

Before the start of the season, waiver claim priority is based on last ('03-'04) years regular season record - worst to best. Once the season starts, waiver priority is based on the current season's records.

The waiver claim period is 48 hours.

As far as I can tell, waivers haven't changed that much from the old CBA, except for the call up waivers (>$75K minor league salary) and the elimination of the waiver draft.

Old
10-05-2005, 01:14 AM
boredmale

Anybody know the rules if you call up a player during the playoffs? after the trade dealine? 5 games left?

Old
10-05-2005, 03:40 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209

Before the start of the season, waiver claim priority is based on last ('03-'04) years regular season record - worst to best. Once the season starts, waiver priority is based on the current season's records.
For what it's worth, Brian Burke has stated that the Ducks have the 2nd priority in waivers to start the season based on the draft order.

Old
10-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
The waiver claim period is 48 hours.
It was lowered to 24.

Old
10-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Chili

Quote:

I thought the changeover was later...i.e. after a month or ~20 games?

You could have 10 teams or more tied with 0 points after tonights games so I would think there is a specific date.

Old
10-05-2005, 02:09 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
repeat the mantra - Release the whole CBA dammit.
Personally, I don't think we're going to see it. If we do, it will be several years from now. They just told us "yeah yeah, we'll release it" to placate us hardcore types, and then knew most would forget about it.

Old
10-05-2005, 02:30 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
I thought the changeover was later...i.e. after a month or ~20 games?

You could have 10 teams or more tied with 0 points after tonights games so I would think there is a specific date.
Correct. It was November 1 under the old CBA:

Quote:
13.17. If only one Club makes a claim for the player on whom waivers have been requested, such player shall be transferred to that Club. In the event that more than one Club makes a claim for such player, he shall be transferred to the claiming Club having earned the lowest percentage of possible points in the League standing at the time of the request for waivers or, if waivers are requested outside the playing season, then to the Club having earned the lowest percentage of possible points in the preceding season's Schedule of Regular Season Games. If the successful waiver claim is made before November 1st then the priority shall be determined by the final standing in the League's Regular Season schedule the preceding season.

Old
10-05-2005, 02:32 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Personally, I don't think we're going to see it. If we do, it will be several years from now. They just told us "yeah yeah, we'll release it" to placate us hardcore types, and then knew most would forget about it.
It will eventually come out. It may not be posted on the NHL or PA sites, but it will be leaked and be available somewhere.

Old
10-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
It will eventually come out. It may not be posted on the NHL or PA sites, but it will be leaked and be available somewhere.
I keep hoping to find a copy on Ebay. For really cheap though.

Old
10-07-2005, 05:11 PM
burgess1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalu
I know the old CBA would let players go on a 'conditioning assignment'. I think it was 10 days or 2 weeks in the minors. If you see one of these transactions pop up some time then it's probably something similar.

Closed Thread