HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal VS Boston-October, 5th 2005

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Season Ticket Holder

vCash: 500
Great to have hockey back, but man, most of that game was a sleeper, particularly that second period.

Still, take the two points and run like hell.

Better Performers:

Plekanec: First game, nerves are there. No worries. He was possibly the most dynamic offensive player in the game, given his limited ice time. He made a couple feeds (that didn't work) which were smart, heads-up plays. And he's playing defense too.

Higgins: First game, nerves are there. But he had a solid game. Nothing uber-flashy but that's fine. He didn't make any glaring errors, which is important.

Begin: Solid night. One of the better forwards actually. Aggressive, but without taking stupid penalties, and solid defensively.

Bulis: Solid night. Great first goal, driving to the net. Taking advantage of the new rules and his speed. Keep it up.

Bonk: Solid night. Not insanely flashy but he got the job done.

Sundstrom: Solid night. He'll never do anything flashy, but as long as he plays sound defensively and can continue to feed Bulis and Bonk on occasion, he'll stay on the 3rd line easily.

Mediocre Performers:

Ryder: Nice goal at the end, but he's got some rust there from his preseason injury, I'd say.

Crappy Performers:

Kovalev: Come on man, stop floating around, dekeing yourself out of the play and lets move. Not much chemistry with Koivu (and Zednik or Plekanec or Higgins) and I thought he looked a wee bit blech. He's not a speed demon type playing that burns up and down the ice, but I'd like to see a lot more aggressive, intense play.

Koivu: Similar to Kovalev. Looked blech out there. Maybe nerves, I hope that's all it is. It could also be a lack of chemistry right now between him, Kovalev, Zednik (or other linemate).

Dagenais: Stupid penalties, crappy play. He made some defensive plays that were decent (more than I remember seeing in the past) but ya, no good.

Ribeiro: Blech. Like most of the pure offensive players, he didn't show much. A little hotdogging, which if it works makes him a hero, otherwise makes him look like he's trying to play pond hockey. I think you need players with egos, but they have to back it up.

STH

Old
10-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Season Ticket Holder
Crappy Performers:

Kovalev: Come on man, stop floating around, dekeing yourself out of the play and lets move. Not much chemistry with Koivu (and Zednik or Plekanec or Higgins) and I thought he looked a wee bit blech. He's not a speed demon type playing that burns up and down the ice, but I'd like to see a lot more aggressive, intense play.

STH

, he might not have shown his wheels tonight, but when he gets on his game speed is top 10 in the league. He's one of the most beautifull skaters out there.

Old
10-06-2005, 10:07 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Season Ticket Holder

Ribeiro: Blech. Like most of the pure offensive players, he didn't show much. A little hotdogging, which if it works makes him a hero, otherwise makes him look like he's trying to play pond hockey. I think you need players with egos, but they have to back it up.

STH
I didnt see any Hotdogging from him and if ure talking about the move he tried on Raycroft he had no choice, Raycroft had covered all angles and Kovalev was covered, I thought it was a nice play but other than that he didnt do much. Dagenais killed the momemtum of that line, whenver the puck got to him he made a bad play like in the first that indirectly led to Bergeron's goal.

Old
10-06-2005, 10:12 AM
jester099

Just wanted to say...

Man does it feel good to beat the Bruins...

I can't get enough of that

Old
10-06-2005, 10:18 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
A few comments about what I saw......

Theodore. Definatley looked shaky early on. His first period was forgetable, but his game improved as the game progressed. Overall when a goalie stops 29-30 shots you can't say he played bad. I think he is capable of better mind you.

Boullion was great. He created scoring chances, drew penalties, played well defensively, saved a goal, just an overall good game. If Boullion keep playing like this he is going to become one of our top 4 rather quickly.

Higgins and Plekanec looked good tonight. If our forwards stay healthy, and Begin, Plekanec and Higgins remains our fourth line, that would be our best fourth line since.......I don't know when. Really happy with how those guys played tonight.

Ribeiro look pretty good out there. He will definately improve his numbers under these new rules. So dangerous when given that little extra space to work in. Ryder also looked O.K., but crips did Dagenais look crappy. I wouldn't doubt if this game buys him a trip to the press box. The funny thing about that is, I actually think Dagenais's skating looked better than I've ever seen it before. Just some stupid mental lapses.

Expected a little better game from Koivu and Kovalev, but didn't really see anything out there that disappointed me. Too bad that Zednik went down, the line definately looked better with him out there, but...... I think Higgins should replace Zednik if he can't go tomorrow.

Bonk-Bulis-Sundstrom line played well tonight as well. For those who think Bulis has stone hands, watch that goal ten times and get back to me. Bulis could score 20+ this season. He still doesn't have the softest hands, but the guy should never be compared to the likes of Turner 'bricks' Stevenson.
Bulis has a bullet it just isnt always accurate. There was very little give and go and completed passes by the Habs. They were lucky to get this win.

Old
10-06-2005, 10:23 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Bulis has a bullet it just isnt always accurate. There was very little give and go and completed passes by the Habs. They were lucky to get this win.
Bruins didnt have many good scoring chances, they had the puck but our D did a great job.

Old
10-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Guy!

Well.

What a difference a year and a half makes - or, for Montreal fans, quite the opposite as they continue to beat the Boston Bruins. It wasn't pretty and we certainly tried to toss the game away on a few occasions, particularly late when a certain Pierre Dagenais tried everything in his power to hand the win to the home side, but in the end, somehow, the Habs prevailed. I certainly hope the team comes out better tomorrow because, even though the Rangers aren't supposed to be as good as the Bruins, they're still going to be tough, and we're not going to win a lot when we're just mailing it in.

Here's the link to follow for the rest of the write-up.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=889

Old
10-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
I'm not going to go as far and say the habs were lucky. I think it was a combination of things, including the Bruins inability to get quality shots on net when chances arose.

The habs passing was a weak point in the game, imo. Too many times, especially on the PP, the habs seem to want to make long passes that the Bruins could easily break up, but hey, first game of the season, stuff like that sometimes happens.

Bulis shot isn't always accurate, if it was he would be a 35 goals a season guy. Very few 15-25 goal guys have accurate shots (outisde of your Dagenais types, who have accurate shots, but don't create enough situations to use it).

10-06-2005, 10:44 AM
jester099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
The habs passing was a weak point in the game, imo. Too many times, especially on the PP, the habs seem to want to make long passes that the Bruins could easily break up, but hey, first game of the season, stuff like that sometimes happens.
Great coaches are good at making the adjustments quickly... And I think CJ is a very good coach because he as a great understanding of the game, can pinpoint what's not working, and is good at communicating the information to the players and make them adjust...

I think the habs will play better in the coming games, starting tonight...

The Bruins do have a decent lineup...

Old
10-06-2005, 11:10 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!

Here's the link to follow for the rest of the write-up.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=889
Guy;

Thanks for the write up, as usual I think you've assessed things very fairly.

Wasn't Zednick hurt on the high forearm/elbow from Leetch?

I agree we need more from our 2nd line. Their job is to unload on the other teams 2nd best checking line, and they didn't show much at all.

Didn't it look like the ice got really bad after the few minutes of each period?

Old
10-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P
I like Dagenais for the low salary and as a depth guy
I do too, but i just cant figure this guy out. I dont know if its cos of the radio commentary or not, but i never hear him driving to the net. Its the new NHL for gods sake, you dont have to be quick, you dont have to fight of hooks and trips as much now, he just needs to keep his legs wide apart, lean on his stick if need be for strength and balence, and use his damned long reach to get the puck. all i heard from him in the B's zone last night was him shooting from the blue line and from the boards. He's gotta try and change it up every now and again. Everyone knows he will try and shoot, use that to his advantage, do something they dont expect, pass, deke, skate with it down low - SOMETHING! If all he has got is stand in front of the net on the PP and shoot from the blueline, then i'd rather take my chances with Pez. He can really shift, shoot, pass, ok defensively and although he wont go looking for huge physical plays, i know he'd take a hit to make the play. Dagenais deserves another chance, preferably at a home game, i just hope he aint used against the rags tonight.

Closed Thread