HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Ryan Oulahen

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Jim Boeheim

vCash: 500
Ryan Oulahen

I don't know much about the kid.

What are his strengths? Weaknesses?

Anyone seen him play? (I'm talking about more than just one game)?

WHen should he be ready to make the Wings?

THANKS

Old
10-05-2005, 12:32 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
I don't know much about the kid.

What are his strengths? Weaknesses?
From what i know without looking at his profile, he was i believe nominated or won defensive forward of the year award in the OHL or whereever he played. Played a ton of minutes against top line forward of opposing teams so hes a shutdown forward. I think hes got a solid offensive game but un sure. I dont know weaknesses

Anyone seen him play? (I'm talking about more than just one game)? I havent

WHen should he be ready to make the Wings?
Depends. Im guessing hes 2-3 years away because its gonna take him a little while to adjust his game against AHL top liners if thats the case and since he aint a finesse scorer or a scorer period hes gonna have to take time and learn things. All in all i assume this Kid has a decent shot at making it, depends on a lot tho. I wouldnt mind seeing him play in a few years and get taught by the likes of Draper and Maltby, we always have great luck when kids play with Vets of high end skill of there types they always suceed later. Fischer and Chelios, Hull and Datsyuk (hull taught dats a lot more then i think we think)

Old
10-05-2005, 06:30 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Scouting reports I've read say that Oulahen is a defensive center and penalty killer with limited offensive potential. A solid positional defender and stick checker, but not a physical player at all. Could be a third line center in 2 years. Max potential at the NHL level is probably 20-30-50. Not sure about faceoffs. Haven't seen him play though.

Old
10-05-2005, 03:40 PM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
In the OHL coaches poll, he was in the top three in faceoffs, PK, skating, hardest working, and defensive forward.

I haven't seen him play.

He logged a ton of minutes against the OHL's best forwards every night. And he still scored nearly a point per game. I've heard people say that if he hadn't been limited to a shutdown role, he probably could have had pretty impressive offensive numbers in the OHL. But his offensive upside is still limited. I don't know of anybody who thinks he has the offensive ability to be a 2nd line center.

He's not a hitter, but he doesn't shy away from contact either.

To me he seems like a poor man's Kris Draper, but less physical, a bit bigger, and maybe better finishing skills (though last year, Draper proved he can score a few goals). Maybe PJ Axelsson would be a good comparison, but Oulahen's a center.

He wasn't one of the first players cut during camp, so he's probably ready to play in the AHL right now, as opposed to the ECHL. He might be ready in two or three years, but Detroit has a few 3rd-4th liners already that might keep him in GR longer.

Old
10-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
Maybe PJ Axelsson would be a good comparison, but Oulahen's a center.

I've seen him play. He reminds me a lot of Stephane Yelle.

IMO, he will be a very underrated 3rd-4th line center, who does the little things to win.

Old
10-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Grift69

Send a message via AIM to Grift69 Send a message via MSN to Grift69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette
I've seen him play. He reminds me a lot of Stephane Yelle.

IMO, he will be a very underrated 3rd-4th line center, who does the little things to win.
Which is exactly what the wings have been missing for quite a few years. QUALITY role players.

Old
10-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Jim Boeheim

Thanks to all who replied.
I feel like I know the kid now

Closed Thread