HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany

German talent for the 2006 NHL Entry Draft?

Old
04-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Sanderson

vCash: 500
I know that he would be ranked on the NA list, but he isn't there. The only player from Saint John is Martin Bartos.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 04:44 PM
rbeeler

YIKES! I could have sworn I saw him on the centralscouting.com NA list! But when I checked through nhl.com, he wasn't there.

Interesting...

rbeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Safir*

Results from the boards mock drafts (German players):

Felix Schütz: 4th round 105th overall, 3rd round 85th overall
Marcel Müller: 5th round 146 overall, 3rd round 86th overall
Chris Gawlik: 4th round 105 & 120th overall
Constantin Braun: 4th round 117 & 120 overall

(...more to come)

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 02:35 AM
Sanderson

The draft always surprises me. There are always some players you expected to get drafted, who go completely overlooked.

The first German who was drafted wasn't Schütz, Gawlik or Müller, no it was Korbinian Holzer (at 111 to Toronto), who was pretty much at the end of the all rankings for Germany.
Felix Schütz went a bit later to Buffalo (at 117), Constantin Braun to LA (at 164) and Justin Krueger with the last pick (213) to Carolina.

No Müller, Gawlik or Ostwald. Gawlik should be a free agent after being passed up in the draft again. Who knows, maybe he gets an NHL-offer after the next season.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 03:29 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson
The draft always surprises me. There are always some players you expected to get drafted, who go completely overlooked.

The first German who was drafted wasn't Schütz, Gawlik or Müller, no it was Korbinian Holzer (at 111 to Toronto), who was pretty much at the end of the all rankings for Germany.
Felix Schütz went a bit later to Buffalo (at 117), Constantin Braun to LA (at 164) and Justin Krueger with the last pick (213) to Carolina.

No Müller, Gawlik or Ostwald. Gawlik should be a free agent after being passed up in the draft again. Who knows, maybe he gets an NHL-offer after the next season.
Thought those guys would be mid round picks

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 08:48 AM
rbeeler

Puzzling indeed. I am very surprised nobody took Gawlik, especially in the late rounds. I also thought Ostwald and Marcel Mueller would go in rounds 4-6.

rbeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 10:15 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Really bizarre results.

*crosses fingers that the Sharks sign Gawlik as an undrafted FA*

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 05:37 AM
Safir*

I think that NHL scouts see Ostwald and Müller as too much of project to be drafted. Gawlik might have wrongfully gotten labeled as an injuryprone player, judging from last year.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 04:07 PM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
It's begining to look like Gawlik may end up like Patrick Thoresen. I was sure he'd get picked this time around, but it wasn't to be.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 04:55 PM
EHCler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kärppä32
I think that NHL scouts see Ostwald and Müller as too much of project to be drafted. Gawlik might have wrongfully gotten labeled as an injuryprone player, judging from last year.
Considering that one only has 2 year to sign Euro players Ostwald and Mueller are too high risk this year. Gawlik is not explainable well I am sure someone will give him a chance sometime.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCler
Considering that one only has 2 year to sign Euro players Ostwald and Mueller are too high risk this year. Gawlik is not explainable well I am sure someone will give him a chance sometime.
This may well be the reason, why Ostwald and Müller weren't picked.

On the other hand, I don't see how there is any less risk with Holzer and even Braun.
I just hope Gawlik continues to improve his play in Berlin and shows all those NHL scouts how shortsighted they were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis
Really bizarre results.

*crosses fingers that the Sharks sign Gawlik as an undrafted FA*
I would love to see Gawlik with the Sharks, though it would also be fun to see him in Buffalo along with Schütz and Gogulla, as they were on one line for the national team.

Another thing: Gawlik opted out of the 2005 draft and went undrafted this year. Does that mean he could be signed as an undrafted FA or could he be drafted next year?

Maverick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Bleifooss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41

On the other hand, I don't see how there is any less risk with Holzer and even Braun.
I just hope Gawlik continues to improve his play in Berlin and shows all those NHL scouts how shortsighted they were.

I would love to see Gawlik with the Sharks, though it would also be fun to see him in Buffalo along with Schütz and Gogulla, as they were on one line for the national team.

Another thing: Gawlik opted out of the 2005 draft and went undrafted this year. Does that mean he could be signed as an undrafted FA or could he be drafted next year?

I think since his b-day is Aug 10, 1987 he has one more shot at a draft next year. This year the rule was:

"... * Non-North American players born between January 1, 1985 and September 15, 1988 are eligible for selection in all rounds..."

Bleifooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 09:23 PM
EHCler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41

Maybe the Kings and Maple leafs have some form of prearanged deal with the 2 players in place that they play junior hockey in N/A or some other form of arrangement.

Braun played a very good U18 tournament against international competition and with scouts watching.
Additionally he is further in his development at the moment than Mueller and Ostwald.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote