HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Denis Shvidki on waivers.

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 11:55 AM
DLaCouture39

vCash:
Denis Shvidki on waivers.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...ports-panthers

"SAN ANTONIO Expectations were high for Denis Shvidki when the Panthers drafted him with the 12th pick in 1999. But another subpar preseason got the right wing assigned to San Antonio's camp Sunday.
Shvidki, who played 54 games for the Panthers' American League affiliate last season, was one of 12 cut."

"For Shvidki to start the season in the minors, he'll have to clear waivers, meaning the Panthers could lose him and get nothing in return."

Come On Sather, you took a chance with Fata and heck even with BTR Tibbetts, take a chance on Shvidki... What you think???

Old
09-24-2003, 12:10 PM
#37-#93-#27*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaCouture39

"SAN ANTONIO Expectations were high for Denis Shvidki when the Panthers drafted him with the 12th pick in 1999. But another subpar preseason got the right wing assigned to San Antonio's camp Sunday.
Shvidki, who played 54 games for the Panthers' American League affiliate last season, was one of 12 cut."

"For Shvidki to start the season in the minors, he'll have to clear waivers, meaning the Panthers could lose him and get nothing in return."

Come On Sather, you took a chance with Fata and heck even with BTR Tibbetts, take a chance on Shvidki... What you think???
We don't need to be garbage collectors, who cares about Fata what's he doing now and what will he be doing in 5 years?

Old
09-24-2003, 12:35 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:

you are always making posts about guys that we can/should pick up that would have no fit here. Just no reason to pick the guy up.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

Several questions for you: Are you willing to lose LaCouture in the waiver draft in order to pick up this kid? And are you willing to keep Shvidki for a month on the NHL roster? Has he ever killed a penalty in his NHL career?

Old
09-24-2003, 07:45 PM
DLaCouture39

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Several questions for you: Are you willing to lose LaCouture in the waiver draft in order to pick up this kid? And are you willing to keep Shvidki for a month on the NHL roster? Has he ever killed a penalty in his NHL career?

To be honest, id rather lose Petrovicky to waivers, and Id be willing to take a chance on Shvidki and maybe deal carter for some defensive help like Gauthier or Mara.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
To be honest, id rather lose Petrovicky to waivers, and Id be willing to take a chance on Shvidki and maybe deal carter for some defensive help like Gauthier or Mara.
Why do you think that Petrovicky is even going to be protected in the first place? He's been hurt since training camp and is not as solid a defensive player as LaCouture in any case. Petrovicky was never in Sather's plans for this season as an anything more than a backup.

The questions still remain unanswered: Who would you rather have, LaCouture or Shvidki? Are you willing to keep Shvidki on the roster for a month? And has Shvidki ever killed penalties?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Old
09-24-2003, 09:27 PM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Why do you think that Petrovicky is even going to be protected in the first place? He's been hurt since training camp and is not as solid a defensive player as LaCouture in any case. Petrovicky was never in Sather's plans for this season as an anything more than a backup.

The questions still remain unanswered: Who would you rather have, LaCouture or Shvidki? Are you willing to keep Shvidki on the roster for a month? And has Shvidki ever killed penalties?

Inquiring minds want to know.
I take Shvidki on potential alone. He's 23, has world class skills, slipped at the '99 draft, but mark my words -- five years from now, NO ONE would take LaCouture over Shvidki. And that's no knock on Danny boy.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:58 AM
robertch

i'd take Shvidki over Lacoutore

Old
09-25-2003, 08:28 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
I take Shvidki on potential alone. He's 23, has world class skills, slipped at the '99 draft, but mark my words -- five years from now, NO ONE would take LaCouture over Shvidki. And that's no knock on Danny boy.

Potential like Pavel Brendl and Daigle?

There's a reason he's on waivers.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:50 AM
Fletch

take him to do what?

play 2 minutes on a fourth line? He can't go to Hartford without clearing waivers, and he's not good enough for any position on the Panthers right now, why waste a spot on him? And heck, he' nearly 23 years old and scored 8 goals (18 points) in 50+ AHL games last season...how good is that?

Old
09-25-2003, 08:52 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

What does Shvidki bring to the Rangers that they need? Can he play with Holik or on the 4th line and be effective? Can he kill penalties? Is he responsible defensively? Would playing 10 minutes a night bring out his potential?

The grass is always greener....

PS: Danny boy, I'm waiting for your answer! Or have you decided to change your screen name again???

Old
09-25-2003, 09:36 AM
pld459666

Quote:
What does Shvidki bring to the Rangers that they need? Can he play with Holik or on the 4th line and be effective? Can he kill penalties? Is he responsible defensively? Would playing 10 minutes a night bring out his potential?

The grass is always greener....

PS: Danny boy, I'm waiting for your answer! Or have you decided to change your screen name again???
I would take my chances with a kid like Shvdiki over Rucinsky every day of the week.

Considering that Martin has shown didly in preseason why not try different things out. Personally I would rather keep Lundmark with Holik but I would surely try Shvdiki with Eric and Anson.

Old
09-25-2003, 09:48 AM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Even if we don't have a spot for him right now, I think we should try and make one. What's the worst thing that could happen? You waive him again and send him to the minors.

It's one of those low-risk, high-reward chances that you gotta take if you're a struggling team in need of youth. He's got boatloads of talent and he actually likes hockey (unlike Daigle) and isn't out of shape (unlike Brendl). He's 6'2", 210-lbs, and even though he doesn't use his size, he's strong and has tremendous offensive potential.

It's a very low risk project (not involving trading anything) with a likely low result but the potential for a great reward. I'd take a chance.

Even if you don't have room for him, you can make room (a la Avalanche (Fleury/Kamensky replaced with Tanguay/Drury/Hejduk), Devils (Holik with Madden), or make a trade and acquire something of value for him. In the end, you get something out of nothing -- or you lose very little and took a chance.

Old
09-25-2003, 09:49 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
I would take my chances with a kid like Shvdiki over Rucinsky every day of the week.

Considering that Martin has shown didly in preseason why not try different things out. Personally I would rather keep Lundmark with Holik but I would surely try Shvdiki with Eric and Anson.

Funny how a year ago i didnt want rucinsky, this year i didnt want rucinsky and so many people fought me tooth and nail over him.

As for Shvdiki, i am not as high on him. Unlike a guy like Fata who has a few different attributes that could salvage an nhl career, Shvdiki has only his offense which has been a inconsistent and disappointing since his OHL days.

Old
09-25-2003, 10:15 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
Even if you don't have room for him, you can make room (a la Avalanche (Fleury/Kamensky replaced with Tanguay/Drury/Hejduk), Devils (Holik with Madden), or make a trade and acquire something of value for him. In the end, you get something out of nothing -- or you lose very little and took a chance.
Shvidki is not one of those players though. Make room for what? He certainly is NOT anything close that resembles any of the 'Lanche 'yutes. Trade him for something of value? What is of value that is to be obtained by a waiver-cast off?
If you pick him up off of waivers then someone else that is here now will have to be exposed. And there is no way that Shvidki would have enough time from now until the waiver draft to prove himself. If you are 23 and you cannot crack even the Florida forward top 12, how much value can you possbily have? I know that Jackass loves the waiver wire, but how many waiver players can we collect? The chaces of finding a gem on the wiaver wire is slim.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:46 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666

What has Shvidki shown in his whole career to justify picking him up AFTER the pre-season and giving him a job on one of the top lines? Wouldn't you rather see Lundmark playing with Lindros? Or Moore (who's at least shown something in pre-season) or even Stals??? It's very clear that Sather has no intention of throwing Rucinsky away before the season starts, so the fantasy of getting rid of him is just that, a fantasy.

The question is would Shvidki help the Rangers more than LaCouture? I still haven't seen anyone make that argument. Hockey rosters are a zero-sum game and someone has to lose his spot in order to pick up Shvidki. Petrovicky is not going to be protected, but LaCouture is, so that's the choice. Would it be nice to see a thirtysomething veteran who did NOTHING in pre-season waived in favor of a 23 year who hasn't managed to cut it so far in his career? Sure, but we all known that it ain't going to happen. Thus, it's a choice between Shvidki on the roster or LaCouture.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:55 PM
Barnaby

Sather had better grab Shividki! I can't believe we missed out on this guy during the 99 draft. Another talented offensive player who can't live up to his potential should be an awesome fit next to Lindros!!

Old
09-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Sather had better grab Shividki! I can't believe we missed out on this guy during the 99 draft. Another talented offensive player who can't live up to his potential should be an awesome fit next to Lindros!!
And you really think that Sather would pick him up and play him with Lindros. OK, no problem. I've got a great deal on a Bridge--historic and sturdy--that I'd like to sell you.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:05 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
And you really think that Sather would pick him up and play him with Lindros. OK, no problem. I've got a great deal on a Bridge--historic and sturdy--that I'd like to sell you.
LoL... read it again.... it was sarcastic

Old
09-25-2003, 04:29 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
LoL... read it again.... it was sarcastic
Tricky, tricky...just like your namesake

Old
09-25-2003, 05:30 PM
pld459666

Quote:
What has Shvidki shown in his whole career to justify picking him up AFTER the pre-season and giving him a job on one of the top lines? Wouldn't you rather see Lundmark playing with Lindros? Or Moore (who's at least shown something in pre-season) or even Stals??? It's very clear that Sather has no intention of throwing Rucinsky away before the season starts, so the fantasy of getting rid of him is just that, a fantasy.

The question is would Shvidki help the Rangers more than LaCouture? I still haven't seen anyone make that argument. Hockey rosters are a zero-sum game and someone has to lose his spot in order to pick up Shvidki. Petrovicky is not going to be protected, but LaCouture is, so that's the choice. Would it be nice to see a thirtysomething veteran who did NOTHING in pre-season waived in favor of a 23 year who hasn't managed to cut it so far in his career? Sure, but we all known that it ain't going to happen. Thus, it's a choice between Shvidki on the roster or LaCouture.

Totally forgot about Moore and Stals.

While I would give both of them a shot first, I would still rather Denis him over rucinsky (even with 2 goals tonight)

Old
09-25-2003, 07:40 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

A few points to ponder.
Firstly if the kid is going to be a waiver wire pickup, it will probably be by a team that selects before NYR do. I am sure a team in need of a kid with some upside.... say Nashville, or Pittsburgh or Carolina coud use him IF his potential is all that great.
Secondly the rangers have pretty much proven over time, that just because a guy looks good on paper doesn't mean he is going to play that way when he gets to broadway.
thirdly I trust Iron Mike, and if he cut the guy, I wouldn't want him playing for my team either.

Old
09-26-2003, 09:11 AM
Absolut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown
Potential like Pavel Brendl and Daigle?

There's a reason he's on waivers.
I don't want Shvidki here. But lets be fair: there is a difference between him and guys like Brendle & Daige. Shvidki has never been accused of bad attitude, poor work ethic or lack of desire. Concussions did him in.

Old
10-07-2003, 10:25 AM
PanthersRule96

What use would a 23 year old skilled player serve to the rangers aside from being offered for another high priced overpaid superstar?

Old
10-07-2003, 11:01 AM
Edge

tell you what, when he lights up more then AHL goalies and sticks with a club in need of scoring wingers {like the panthers} i'll call him a skilled forward.

all the skill in the world isn't worth a dime if you cant do it at the nhl level.

Daigle, {Brendl possibly}, Chris Wells, Jason Bonsignore, steve kelly, etc. etc. etc.

Closed Thread