Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nickerson to Ässät

Old
10-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Dr GLU

vCash: 500
Nickerson to Ässät

Matt Nickerson has been assigned to play with Ässät in Finland. I'm hoping his skill game improves as a result, and that he matures a little bit there as well.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2005, 01:07 AM
LASTAR

wow, how does that happen? With the big ice, and a speedy game over there it would seem to me that Nickerson in Scandanavia would be good for his agility and speed work and bad for his fisticuffs...I'm curious to see how he does stat wise.

LASTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2005, 02:11 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTAR
wow, how does that happen? With the big ice, and a speedy game over there it would seem to me that Nickerson in Scandanavia would be good for his agility and speed work and bad for his fisticuffs...I'm curious to see how he does stat wise.
That's exactly what Nickerson needs. We all know he can fight. The questions lie in the other areas of his game. A league that actively discourages fighting will make him focus on improving in other areas instead of relying on his known skills to get by.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Starsdude

This either works or he will become an EChl /Ahl goon forever.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2005, 12:41 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471
That's exactly what Nickerson needs. We all know he can fight. The questions lie in the other areas of his game. A league that actively discourages fighting will make him focus on improving in other areas instead of relying on his known skills to get by.
I still find that strange, the guys just finish his junior than he sign with Dallas and than he's going to play in Finland,

it's not very commun that a 20 years old Canadian player with NHL contract goes play in Finland

even if what you said look very logical, still strange

Does anyone know if it's Nickerson that ask to go their or Dallas?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Dr GLU

Nickerson signed his pro contract before he went to juniors, but I'm betting that the Stars wanted him overseas so he's less likely to slot in as a goon in the ECHL when he didn't make the Iowa Stars.

And he's American, BTW.

Old
10-07-2005, 02:57 PM
jepjepjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU
Nickerson signed his pro contract before he went to juniors, but I'm betting that the Stars wanted him overseas so he's less likely to slot in as a goon in the ECHL when he didn't make the Iowa Stars.

And he's American, BTW.
Stars pays his salary... Ässät and stars have some kind of agreement...

jepjepjoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2005, 03:20 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTAR
Finland isn't part of scandinavia. And the rinks (except in Elsyée Arena) in the SM-liiga is smaller than the international rinks.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2005, 10:34 AM
aceshigh81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp
Finland isn't part of scandinavia. And the rinks (except in Elsyée Arena) in the SM-liiga is smaller than the international rinks.
Ässät, Pelicans and KalPa has the smallest home rinks; 28m x 58m ( 91,9ft x 190,3ft ). Guess a bit smaller rink suits for Ässät; we have had a trend to fill our defense with big guys, who have no hands - or legs.

So, Nickerson fits in perfect. But I believe he can give Ace-fans some good moments.

aceshigh81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2005, 10:38 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceshigh81
Ässät, Pelicans and KalPa has the smallest home rinks; 28m x 58m ( 91,9ft x 190,3ft ). Guess a bit smaller rink suits for Ässät; we have had a trend to fill our defense with big guys, who have no hands - or legs.

So, Nickerson fits in perfect. But I believe he can give Ace-fans some good moments.
Considering how well "talentless" idiot Sean Avery (albeit a forward) faired with Pelicans in his short stint I think Nickerson can surprise many with Ässät.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2005, 10:21 PM
GlueleG

Quote:
Looks like Nickersons' at it again, 2 games 27 penalty minutes ...

http://www.sm-liiga.fi/tilasto.asp?o...m=13&stats=73#

GlueleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Dr GLU

You get 25 PIM (major+match, I assume) for a fight in Finland though, so it's not as bad as it looks. He had a fight last game, so that's why the total's so big.

Old
10-16-2005, 08:22 AM
Petey21

Found a clip of Nickerson (in white) fighting in the Finnish league, the opponent is Semir Ben-Amor of the Espoo Blues.

http://rapidshare.de/files/6322103/b...erson.avi.html

Petey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2005, 06:40 PM
aceshigh81

In Finland, 5 min penalty is automatically awarded with game misconduct (5+20). Match misconduct is marked 25. I´ve understood, that Ben-Amor gave a hard hit to Rob Hisey and Nickerson commented that somehow. These situations happens fast...but it was a bad trade, the game had only lasted 2 minutes. And they both got match misconduct so they will miss the next game. Match misconduct for a fair fight, that´s f*#*ing ridiculous!

aceshigh81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2005, 05:29 AM
Taze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp
Finland isn't part of scandinavia.
Since when?

Taze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2005, 08:21 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze
Since when?
Since 1850s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2005, 05:55 AM
Taze

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel
Wow, I learn something everyday .

In school (and yes, I was there later than 1850's) they teached otherwise.

Taze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2005, 02:24 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
That's exactly what Nickerson needs. We all know he can fight.
I don't know that anymore. He got his *** handed to him by Shayne Toporowski last night, after Nickerson boarded a player. Toporowski landed about 5 good hits in his face before Nickerson managed to turtle and run away. Once he got away and the refs came to his rescue, he dropped the gloves. I guess he has the sort of gloves that won't drop near the boards or before the refs are around.

But before that incident he played pretty good from what I heard.

psycho_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2005, 03:01 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad
I don't know that anymore. He got his *** handed to him by Shayne Toporowski last night, after Nickerson boarded a player. Toporowski landed about 5 good hits in his face before Nickerson managed to turtle and run away. Once he got away and the refs came to his rescue, he dropped the gloves. I guess he has the sort of gloves that won't drop near the boards or before the refs are around.

But before that incident he played pretty good from what I heard.
You forgot to mention that Toporowski attacked from behind.

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2005, 03:19 AM
Joretus

I saw in telly that Nickerson tryed to get his gloves&helmet off so he could start fighting back meanwhile Toporowski was just hitting him.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2005, 03:31 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel
You forgot to mention that Toporowski attacked from behind.
The reason why I forgot to mention that, is because it never happened. Toporowski pushed him into the boards from his chest, they stared at each other and possibly said something to eachother before it started. They were face to face. If you failed to see it from last nights several sports shows, you might as well wait and check www.raumanlukko.fi for highlights sometime today.

They were clearly face to face for some seconds and even had time to trade a few words.

Next time he boards a player, he probably should expect to drop his gloves, especially when a guy comes and clearly challenges him to do so. Isn't he supposed to be a "tough guy" or some sort of enforcer, at least on SM-liiga level?

He tried to drop his gloves once he had turned his back, turtled, and skated away from Toporowski who did not want to let him go.

In "show fighting" people tend to discuss a fight beforehand, but when a player does something that needs to be punished, you dont usually get a weeks notice before a fight. Especially in finnish league where refs always go between the players if they just have time. Helenius and Vopat tried that show fighting last year and took their helmets and gloves off....the refs had time to grab both players.

Old
10-21-2005, 03:38 AM
Finnpin

I don't think that player like Matt would run away to a guy like Toporowski..

It looked more like he is getting ouf the boards when Topo attacked him from behind, Matt takes off his helmet and turns around to start the real fight with Topo, but then the refs came and stopped it..that would not happen in North America.

Maybe we can say more about Matt's fighting skills against guys like Brad Norton or Sami Helenius..let's c

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2005, 03:41 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeri
I don't think that player like Matt would run away to a guy like Toporowski..

It looked more like he is getting ouf the boards when Topo attacked him from behind, Matt takes off his helmet and turns around to start the real fight with Topo, but then the refs came and stopped it..that would not happen in North America.
I did not think he would run away either, but he did.

And Toporowski definitely challenged him face to face, not "from behind" like you guys claim. Obviously you have not seen the clip if you think it was from behind. Nickerson had all the time in the world to respond.

Old
10-21-2005, 03:58 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad
I did not think he would run away either, but he did.

And Toporowski definitely challenged him face to face, not "from behind" like you guys claim. Obviously you have not seen the clip if you think it was from behind. Nickerson had all the time in the world to respond.
I saw it from last night's news...maybe I need to check it again somewhere before I say any other comments.

Respect to Toporowski, that's a team play!

Matt needs to show us more...He can talk the talk but can he walk the talk

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2005, 04:03 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeri
I saw it from last night's news...maybe I need to check it again somewhere before I say any other comments.

Respect to Toporowski, that's a team play!

Matt needs to show us more...He can talk the talk but can he walk the talk
You can find it now from www.raumanlukko.fi under highlights.

The quality is quite bad but you can see that Nickerson had time to drop his gloves but failed to do so, then he got his *** kicked, ran away, dropped his gloves, refs came to his rescue and he still turtled away from toporowski who was still trying to get to him. The clips last night did not show what happened after the refs got between them.