HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We have a real goalie!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2005, 09:48 AM
SENSible1*

vCash: 500
Hasek 2W 0L 0.96 GAA .967 sv%

Lalime 0W 3L 6.00 GAA .833 sv%

Old
10-09-2005, 10:20 AM
cage

ottawa has always made mediocre goalies look better. rhodes/tugger/lalime.

hasek, right now, looks like the goalie who will make the whole team better.

Old
10-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Mister Brownstone

You can compare almost every goalie's numbers in the NHL against Hasek and they will come out on the losing end.

If like the thread says we have a real goalie why are we talking about Lalime?

That chapter is closed, lets leave it that way.

Old
10-09-2005, 11:10 AM
LannysStach
Thou shall

hey wingsfan guy!
nice to see you follow Dom here!
and nice to read your observations, and that you've been watching him a long time and have come to the same conclusions.
that was quite a trip with the Red Wings eh!!!
the greatest goalie and the greatest coach -- yeah, i bet that team'll lose!!!

that he is back and playing as he is -- to me it's almost like the Beatles getting back together! -- something great you thought you'd never see happen.

it's kind of funny hanging out with the Sens fans (you should stick around, they're some of the smartest and most civilized fans in the league) but they've been so burned in the past, and were kinda like Dominik Who? and a little slow to get it -- i'm not dissing the fans at all -- it's just like being somebody who knows about a great, over-the-top restaurant, and being in a back 'regulars' booth watching people come in and have their first meals, and the looks on their faces as it hits them! "Hey, this is REALLY Good!" "Mmmm!" "Holy heck!" "I thought it might be hype, but WOW!"

ya know?!

and wait'll they taste the playoff dessert!!!

i'm ordering two!

peace & hasekness!

Old
10-09-2005, 12:12 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup2006sensrule
Then you must have not been watching it live. It was great. Buffalo didn't play bad even though they got shut out. It was end to end. Havlat had 7 shorthanded breakaways!!! It was the best non-playoff games I have seen at the Corel Centre. I totally enjoyed it, the whole atmospher, the opening ceremonies, the absolutely packed arena like 19 600+. I don't know how you could call this game boring.
It was tough to watch it live when the morons to my left got up at every whistle to go for a piss or buy more beer, which in turn only made them have to go to the can even more.

End to end? I don't quite agree with that assessment.

7 shorthanded breakaways? Where'd you read that stat?

I"m not saying that the game was boring from beginning to end, but there were a lot of stretches that made the game a snoozefest - and others I went with said the same thing. A 5-0 score makes one think that the Sens dominated the Sabres, which wasn't the case.

On the plus side, I can get a free slice of pizza!

Old
10-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
I was watching the tail end of the game, and the announcers said that Lalime has played well. I have no idea how a goalie plays well, while allowing 7 goals to get by him. I guess the St. Louis defence is non-existant right now.

Still, I think Lalime is going into a completely different situation than he had in Ottawa, and it's exposing his weaknesses.

It makes me appreciate what we now have in Hasek.
Well, it was a 7-6 game and he made 32 saves...doesn't sound incredible, but it's hard to judge if you don't see the game and with such a high scoring game it's probably tough to tell on just the numbers alone.

Lalime is one of my fave players, and I really want him to do well in St. Louis (although he's in a tough situation there with that team), but I couldn't be happier than having Hasek right now. The guy is proving any doubts I had wrong. It looks like he's gonna be on top form.

Old
10-09-2005, 12:41 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannysStach
hey wingsfan guy!
nice to see you follow Dom here!
and nice to read your observations, and that you've been watching him a long time and have come to the same conclusions.
that was quite a trip with the Red Wings eh!!!
the greatest goalie and the greatest coach -- yeah, i bet that team'll lose!!!

that he is back and playing as he is -- to me it's almost like the Beatles getting back together! -- something great you thought you'd never see happen.

it's kind of funny hanging out with the Sens fans (you should stick around, they're some of the smartest and most civilized fans in the league) but they've been so burned in the past, and were kinda like Dominik Who? and a little slow to get it -- i'm not dissing the fans at all -- it's just like being somebody who knows about a great, over-the-top restaurant, and being in a back 'regulars' booth watching people come in and have their first meals, and the looks on their faces as it hits them! "Hey, this is REALLY Good!" "Mmmm!" "Holy heck!" "I thought it might be hype, but WOW!"

ya know?!

and wait'll they taste the playoff dessert!!!

i'm ordering two!

peace & hasekness!
LOL, I agree.

If I had a choice to pick a goalie for the regular season and the playoffs...I would pick Dominik any day off the week! This guy can stop pucks like no one else, he plays the game with his "feeling" and that is the best way to do it. When I look at him and he makes one of his unbelievable saves, it looks actually "normal" to me!

People say that his style is "unorthodox". I don't see it that way, it looks making sense to me! Because off his style he gets pucks that other goalies don't get. This guy won 6 Vezina, 2 MVP, 2 Lester B. Pearson, gold medal, etc, etc, etc...well you get my point! His record speaks for itself!

People say that Roy was the best off his generation (well Canadian people say that!), but the record tells an different story. He played his entire career for the Sabres we all agree that, that was a mediocre team and with Hasek in net...it became an Stanley Cup team. Then finally he came to the Red Wings an team with by far better players and he wins the most games during the regular season and wins the Stanley Cup with 6 SO!

To be honest I don't think that there will ever be a guy that can dominate like Hasek did. Like you said when he makes an save he follows the puck with his eyes the entire time, even when there is an scrabble in front him he is aware of where the puck is. They don't teach you that in practice, that is his talent!

You can have many discussions about this (I already had enough off those), but the bottom line is: "Hasek is the best goaltender ever"!

Old
10-09-2005, 01:35 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenJen#9
Well, it was a 7-6 game and he made 32 saves...doesn't sound incredible, but it's hard to judge if you don't see the game and with such a high scoring game it's probably tough to tell on just the numbers alone.

Lalime is one of my fave players, and I really want him to do well in St. Louis (although he's in a tough situation there with that team), but I couldn't be happier than having Hasek right now. The guy is proving any doubts I had wrong. It looks like he's gonna be on top form.
Yeah, that was my assumption, that he must have made some big saves.

Still though, I think it highlights the problem with Lalime. He has his flaws as a goalie, but, you can't help but root for him. He was always reported to be a great guy, that, even in a defeat, you look for ways to praise him.

I hope he finds his game in St. Louis. That team looks to be in trouble. Losing MacInnis and Pronger is a huge blow, and, when you have as much tied up into guys like Tkachuk and Weight, it's hard to provide much support for the rest of the team.

Old
10-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
Yeah, that was my assumption, that he must have made some big saves.

Still though, I think it highlights the problem with Lalime. He has his flaws as a goalie, but, you can't help but root for him. He was always reported to be a great guy, that, even in a defeat, you look for ways to praise him.

I hope he finds his game in St. Louis. That team looks to be in trouble. Losing MacInnis and Pronger is a huge blow, and, when you have as much tied up into guys like Tkachuk and Weight, it's hard to provide much support for the rest of the team.
No doubt he has his flaws (although sometimes I think he gets a lot more flak from Ottawa fans than he deserves) but I think when he plays with confidence he's a good goalie. Right now the situation isn't good, I mean his last real game was game 7 against against the Leafs, and now this start to the season...He needs something from his defence to get a boost because right now it's a rather dire situation...that team is in major trouble.

Old
10-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Gus Fring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup2006sensrule
Then you must have not been watching it live. It was great. Buffalo didn't play bad even though they got shut out. It was end to end. Havlat had 7 shorthanded breakaways!!! It was the best non-playoff games I have seen at the Corel Centre. I totally enjoyed it, the whole atmospher, the opening ceremonies, the absolutely packed arena like 19 600+. I don't know how you could call this game boring.
thats true i was in the nosebleeds where there is no booze sold and it was carzy great game great atmospher

Old
10-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
Tonight's game was the most boring 5-0 game I've ever seen.
seriously??
i was HUGELY entertained.

Id rather be "bored" like that in a 5-0 firewagon hockey game than put to sleep by the craptacularly unwatchable tight opening game in TO.

Now THAT was bad hockey.

Old
10-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Rico__Persson*

How the hell did the Chicago Blackhawks trade Hasek back in the early '90's?

I hope someone payed for that mistake.

Trivia:

Who did the 'Hawks get in return?

Old
10-09-2005, 04:52 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson
How the hell did the Chicago Blackhawks trade Hasek back in the early '90's?

I hope someone payed for that mistake.

Trivia:

Who did the 'Hawks get in return?
A fourth round pick which turned out to be Eric Daze.

However, wasn't the trade made because of the impending expansion draft, which would have likely seen him taken for nothing, since, they had Belfour as their starter.

Old
10-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
A fourth round pick which turned out to be Eric Daze.

However, wasn't the trade made because of the impending expansion draft, which would have likely seen him taken for nothing, since, they had Belfour as their starter.

I'm not sure about the expansion draft info.

One thing is for sure, between Hasek and Belfour, they let the wrong guy go. At that time, no one could have predicted Hasek's career. It could easily have went on to be compared to Marty Prusek.

He was a diamond in the rough.

Daze was a pretty good scoop in the 4th round. If only he could have stayed healthy.

Old
10-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Sens Rule

[QUOTE=Rico_Persson]I'm not sure about the expansion draft info.

One thing is for sure, between Hasek and Belfour, they let the wrong guy go. At that time, no one could have predicted Hasek's career. It could easily have went on to be compared to Marty Prusek.

Actually they were allowed to keep 2 goalies and they kept Belfour and another goalie who was medicore instead of Hasek. Who was that other goalie?

????

Old
10-10-2005, 07:58 AM
It Kills Me

Let's give Hasek 13 - 14 games and see how his groin holds up ..

Old
10-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles

I agree, much like we need to wait and see if Lindros' head is still attached at the neck. Its just too easy to assume right now that all will be well. So far, so good though

Old
10-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Very true. Just like we should wait and see how Belfour's surgically repaired back holds out.

Old
10-10-2005, 10:55 AM
HF2002

Quote:
Antropov army? Why would you want to be associated with that flop?

Old
10-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat

Very true. Just like we should wait and see how Belfour's surgically repaired back holds out.
looks like we had the same joke with a different punchline. Its HFboards version of the aristocrats!

Old
10-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Goldark

Another Wing's fan here and trust me, I know how you guys feel. After having to put up with Osgood and his center-ice debacles, getting a goalie who could bail you out was the difference between night and day. Even at the ripe old age of 40, he sounds like he still has it.

When he was at his best, I've never seen a better goalie in my lifetime, and that includes the likes of Roy, Brodeur, etc. I often make the comparison of Hasek vs. Roy to Lemeiux vs. Gretz. Gretz and Roy have the accomplishments, but Lemeiux was the most talented and skilled forward I've ever seen and Hasek is the single most talented goalie I've ever seen.

Enjoy what you have guys have; you're watching a living legend.

Old
10-11-2005, 10:05 AM
chara

Belfour and Hasek At 40

People tend to forget that both Hasek and Belfour essentially started their NHL careers relatively late, both in their mid to late 20s. Hasek played in Europe prior to that but didn't play anywhere near 60 games a year until 93-94. Belfour's NHL career took off in 90-91 after a short stint with the Can Olympic team.

Both these guys may be 40 but they've really only seen the hockey action of a 35 year old. When Patrick Roy retired a couple years back, he played 18 NHL seasons. Belfour and Hasek are a few years under that number. So playing another year or two for both guys shouldn't be out of the question.

Old
10-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Chili

Trivia: Who was the last 40 year old goaler (or over) to win a playoff game?

Old
10-12-2005, 08:44 AM
LannysStach
Thou shall

jacques plante?

Old
10-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannysStach
jacques plante?
Close, he's the second to last. JP last won a playoff game in 1970.

Closed Thread