HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help needed for a guy who wants to become a nuisance in front of the net

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Hockeylover

vCash: 500
Help needed for a guy who wants to become a nuisance in front of the net

I would like to become expert in annoying the defense and goalie in ball hockey. It worked well yesterday as we scored a goal while I blocked the goalie's view. I would like to have some advice. First off, playing like Claude Lemieux can be a dangerous task. The goalie may get pissed off and hit you at the back of the leg or a defenseman may hit you at the back of the head or hit you in the face with his stick, or you can even get a shot in the eye. So, I've decided to put back my full face visor. I also put protection on my shins, calves, neck, wrists, even put my chest protector and a light chest protector (the kind used by baseball catchers) on the back.

That's for protection. Did I leave anything out? Now let's talk about strategy. This is my idea, correct me if I'm wrong. As soon as I see a winger in possession of the ball, I rush in direction of the net trying to put myself between the goalie and the shooter to block his view. Should I look at the shooter to see when he's going to shoot, or should I look at the goalie what he is doing. Or should I position myself to see both... If you add the task of picking up the ball if it is close to me, that seems to be alot of work! Please help.

Last edited by Hockeylover: 10-27-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old
10-27-2005, 02:18 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Most guys in the NHL who block views look at the shooter and what he does with the puck. Dont look at the goalie IMO. Look where the puck is going and try to deflect it if its close enough. Like, you can look at the G with the corner of your eye but concentrate mainly on the shooter and the puck and position yourself between the G and the puck carrier.

Old
10-28-2005, 03:17 AM
phillyphan

Send a message via AIM to phillyphan
THREE POINT STANCE if you need more clarification...see john leclair in his prime. Bend over, put your stick on the ground, and face the puck holder at all times. If i read your post right then your playing with a ball and anybody with a decent shot it will be really really tough to tip so just try screen and not get hit by the ball. turn as the shotgoes by and position yourself for a reound.

And, of course, my personal favorite, if i whistle blows always take a shot at the glove or leg pad or where ever the ball is covered. Don't be afraid of the repercussions from defencemen or the goalie. If your going to be afraid you should not be in front in the first place.

Old
10-28-2005, 06:51 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Well, pending how much of a nuisance you want to be and if you are willing to take a bit of a beating for being cheeky, there is one move that will almost always get the goalie paying attention to you. When your teammate has the ball on the wing, go stand in the slot stickside on the keeper and tell your teammate to shoot for the five hole. When he fires it, you can use your stick or your hand (i say you can use, its not legal but that never stopped anyone, right?) to pull the top of the keepers stick towards you which will hopefully lift his stick off the ground before the ball gets there. Now, this will result in a penalty if seen and you will have the oppositions attention (particularly the keepers attention) whenever you are around the net (and they will make sure you know it). It can be useful for getting a goalie off their game (if they are a bit shakey) and just generally giving the other team something to worry about.

Otherwise, the posters above gave some good information. If you are going to go to the front of the net in games, during practise, get your teammates to fire some shots on goal as you stand in front and try re-directing them. Its possible to do this without practise, but ive found i really improved my aim and my response to rebounds by practising before hand.

Old
10-28-2005, 01:07 PM
jacklours

My personal favorite, and what works best: Get your mouth running at ALL time. Back it up though, don't say he's a wuss if he just kicked your *** or don't say the goalie sucks if you haven't scored in ten shots. However, as soon as you did, KEEP YOUR MOUTH RUNNING AT ALL TIME. That will piss everyone around in the other team. Plus they'll focus on beating you up so that'll leave room for the rest of your team. However, be ready to drop the gloves once in a while. If your not, then you'll just piss people off even more, however they'll bemore concerned in cheapshotting you instead of being fair. So believe me you want to drop 'em once in a while. I'm no good at fighting, but many people won't drop against me because they think only goons drop so they think your a goon, that'll save a lot of problems. Also, when goons want to drop, GET THE **** OFF because they'll pound you big time. Just drop against the occasional guy who is so piss he'll drop, they are usually the easiest guys to beat because they can't think clearly. Most of all, if you don't have fun doing don't because you won't do it well.

Old
10-28-2005, 04:20 PM
grapeshine

Seriously though, screening the goalie and playing hard in front of the net is one thing, but actually running your mouth and playing dirty in rec hockey ruins it for everyone. Play hard, but don't be a total idiot. If you even think you should be ready to "drop the gloves" I suggest finding another hobby. Most players are out for some fun and exercise. This isn't the NHL.

Old
10-28-2005, 05:31 PM
barfy2000

haha...i dont know about being a nuisance in front of the net, but one thing i always like to do to guys being a nuisance is the old spin-o-rama with your stick between their legs.

Old
10-28-2005, 10:05 PM
DAebi1

Send a message via AIM to DAebi1 Send a message via MSN to DAebi1 Send a message via Yahoo to DAebi1
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeshine
Seriously though, screening the goalie and playing hard in front of the net is one thing, but actually running your mouth and playing dirty in rec hockey ruins it for everyone. Play hard, but don't be a total idiot. If you even think you should be ready to "drop the gloves" I suggest finding another hobby. Most players are out for some fun and exercise. This isn't the NHL.
Agreed...No need to trash talk. I think it would just get the other team fired up, anyways.

Old
10-29-2005, 01:35 AM
phillyphan

Send a message via AIM to phillyphan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAebi1
Agreed...No need to trash talk. I think it would just get the other team fired up, anyways.
or if your good at it...its another way to get the other team off their game

Closed Thread