HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lowe's Key transactions and Drafting record

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2003, 04:01 PM
  #1
elphy101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
Lowe's Key transactions and Drafting record

I figured I'd do a timeline of Lowe's transactions.

Offseason before 2000-2001 season(this is off memory, sorry if I get a time periods wrong)


Hire Craig Mactavish as head coach
Trades Hamrlik for Brewer, 2nd round pick and Josh Green

2000
17 Alexei Mikhnov
35 C Brad Winchester
83 D Alexander Liubimov
113 C Lou Dickenson
152 D Paul Flache
184 R Shaun Norrie
211 W Joe Cullen
215 C Matthew Lombardi
247 Jason Platt
274 F Evgeny Muratov

(Midseason) Signs Comrie to huge contract to prevent UFA
(Midseason) Guerin for Carter, 2nd, option to switch firsts.

Offseason before 2001-2002 season

Trades Weight, Riesen for Hecht, Reasoner, Horacek.

2001
13 L Ales Hemsky
43 L Doug Lynch
52 Ed Caron
84 D Kenny Smith
133 G Jussi Markkanen
154 Jake Brenk
185 Mikael Svensk
215 L Dan Baum
248 D Kari Haakana
272 D Ales Pisa
278 L Shay Stephenson

Signs Georges Laraque, and Dan Cleary to very large contracts. Cleary contract blows up.

Signs Ty Conklin as an unsigned free agent from college
Signs Marc Andre Bergeron as undrafted UFA from junior

(Midseason) Tom Poti and Rem Murray for Mike York, 4th.

Offseason 2002-2003

Hecht for 2 2nds (DesLauriers, Stoll)
3rd for Dopita

2002
15 C Jesse Niinimaki
31 G Jeff Deslauriers
36 R Jarret Stoll
44 Matt Greene
79 Brock Radunske
106 Ivan Koltsov
111 Jonas Almtorp
123 C Robin Kovar
148 Glenn Fisher
181 D Mikko Luoma
205 L Jean-Francois Dufort
211 Patrick Murphy
244 Dwight Helminen
245 F Tomas Micka
274 Fredrik Johansson

(Midseason)Buys out mistake Jiri Dopita
(Midseason) Carter, Pisa for Dvorak, Cross.
(Midseason)Niinimaa, 2nd for Isbister and Torres.

Offseason 2003-2004

2003
22 Marc-Antoine Pouliot
51 Colin McDonald
68 Jean-Francois Jacques
72 Mishail Joukov
94 C Zach Stortini
147 Kalle Olsson
154 David Rohlfs
184 Dragan Umicevic
214 C Kyle Brodziak
215 D Mathieu Roy
248 Josef Hrabal
278 Troy Bodie

Buys out Dan Cleary
Locks Mike Comrie out of training camp
Signs Smyth to a very affordable 3 year contract.

elphy101 is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 04:20 PM
  #2
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
(Midseason) Guerin for Carter, 2nd, option to switch firsts.
What a great trade just think if he didnt do that we might not have Hemsky right now

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2 is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 04:27 PM
  #3
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
What a great trade just think if he didnt do that we might not have Hemsky right now
Heh, agreed. It's funny how I remember when the trade happened, it was one of the worst trades ever to some Oilers fans. I think the Hemsky portion can't really be included, rather just saying it was a swap of firsts. Besides, they got Shaonne Morrisonn who really could be a good one. He had a nice year in Providence and could play a few games up from the farm if he does well. Good potential top 4 blueliner.

Mizral is online now  
Old
10-05-2003, 04:31 PM
  #4
elphy101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Heh, agreed. It's funny how I remember when the trade happened, it was one of the worst trades ever to some Oilers fans. I think the Hemsky portion can't really be included, rather just saying it was a swap of firsts. Besides, they got Shaonne Morrisonn who really could be a good one. He had a nice year in Providence and could play a few games up from the farm if he does well. Good potential top 4 blueliner.
But still it looks good

To Boston

Bill Guerin
Shaonne Morrison

To Edmonton

Anson Carter
Ales Hemsky
Doug Lynch

elphy101 is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 04:56 PM
  #5
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
But still it looks good

To Boston

Bill Guerin
Shaonne Morrison

To Edmonton

Anson Carter
Ales Hemsky
Doug Lynch
Sure, if you look at it like that. I'm still not sure that's fair though. Since Boston might have picked someone completely different.

Even without looking at whom they picked though, I'd still say Edmonton won out. Right now, I'd rather have Carter than Guerin - Guerin nearly lost his career last year & his money is just insane.

Mizral is online now  
Old
10-05-2003, 05:54 PM
  #6
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,022
vCash: 500
mizral, to make that trade comparison without considering the contract status is pure foolishness. Boston has morrison, we have hemsky, devo, and lynch to show for it.

This isn't some fantasy league where dollars don't matter.

Mr Sakich is online now  
Old
10-06-2003, 05:28 AM
  #7
Vyse64
N64
 
Vyse64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,755
vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
mizral, to make that trade comparison without considering the contract status is pure foolishness. Boston has morrison, we have hemsky, devo, and lynch to show for it.

This isn't some fantasy league where dollars don't matter.
you forgot Cross lol

Vyse64 is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 02:51 PM
  #8
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
mizral, to make that trade comparison without considering the contract status is pure foolishness. Boston has morrison, we have hemsky, devo, and lynch to show for it.

This isn't some fantasy league where dollars don't matter.
What the heck!? I said it was a great trade for the Oilers! God dammit, try reading the post. Contracts were obviously a huge factor.

I simply said I do not think draft picks can be included as value. Rather, I would say:

The Oilers got a 1st round pick and whatever round pick Lynch was (forget), and Dvorak, and Cross. The Bruins have Morrisonna .

Mizral is online now  
Old
10-07-2003, 03:46 PM
  #9
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,374
vCash: 500
Yeah, I don't think you can say Hemsky, Lynch, and Morrisonn were included in that trade. It's like saying the Oilers got Comrie for Satan.

I think the best you can say is that the Oilers got the pick that resulted in Hemsky, etc...

But at the same time, when looking back on the trades, you can't ignore what those draft picks became.

Seachd is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 05:26 PM
  #10
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
What the heck!? I said it was a great trade for the Oilers! God dammit, try reading the post. Contracts were obviously a huge factor.

I simply said I do not think draft picks can be included as value. Rather, I would say:

The Oilers got a 1st round pick and whatever round pick Lynch was (forget), and Dvorak, and Cross. The Bruins have Morrisonna .

eeeek. It wasn't a slam at you Mizral but when I re-read it , it comes off as quite pompous. Sorry

Mr Sakich is online now  
Old
10-07-2003, 05:36 PM
  #11
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
well then look at it this way... Dvo, Cross, Lynch, first A Guerin first B where first A is obviously superior to first B.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 05:51 PM
  #12
HOZ
Registered User
 
HOZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Country: Japan
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
But still it looks good

To Boston

Bill Guerin
Shaonne Morrison

To Edmonton

Anson Carter
Ales Hemsky
Doug Lynch


It was a awesome deal when it happened. Guerin's contract meant the Oilers were going to lose him for nothing. Lowe turned that loss into a forward with similar, slightly lesser, talent and picks.

That trade now looks like this

Boston
supplimentary pick (whoever that was I don't know)
Morrison

Edmonton
Dvorak (Cross - Pisa)
Hemsky
Lynch

That is a loss for the Bruins no matter and a win for the Oilers how many time you bake it and flip it.

HOZ is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 05:53 PM
  #13
elphy101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
I have to disagree. I think you should at trades based totally on results.

The Oilers got Hemsky as a result of that trade, Boston got Morrison.

The NHL is based on results. Hemsky was a result of that trade. I agree different teams would have picked different players, but the Oilers ended up with Hemsky because of the Guerin trade. It's as simple as that in my opinion.

elphy101 is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 05:57 PM
  #14
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I have to disagree. I think you should at trades based totally on results.

The Oilers got Hemsky as a result of that trade, Boston got Morrison.

The NHL is based on results. Hemsky was a result of that trade. I agree different teams would have picked different players, but the Oilers ended up with Hemsky because of the Guerin trade. It's as simple as that in my opinion.
I agree, and like I said, the results can't be ignored. One problem comes in, though, when you look at the possibility that the Oilers could have gotten Hemsky without doing the trade. It's not as concrete as saying the Oilers got Hemsky in that trade. They got a draft pick, and at the time of their pick, took Hemsky. He may very well have still been available if the Oilers hadn't switched picks.

But it's all basically the same thing. You're right, though - when we look back now, the results are the important thing.

Seachd is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 06:06 PM
  #15
VayaConDios
Registered User
 
VayaConDios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I agree, and like I said, the results can't be ignored. One problem comes in, though, when you look at the possibility that the Oilers could have gotten Hemsky without doing the trade. It's not as concrete as saying the Oilers got Hemsky in that trade. They got a draft pick, and at the time of their pick, took Hemsky. He may very well have still been available if the Oilers hadn't switched picks.

But it's all basically the same thing. You're right, though - when we look back now, the results are the important thing.
He would have been available, i remember when watching it the announcer said that Hemsky was a surprise pick and was rated alot lower than some other guys.

VayaConDios is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 06:18 PM
  #16
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
It was a awesome deal when it happened.
I know it had to be done.. but it came at a time when Guerin was clicking so well with Weight and Smyth. I think they were one of the most dominant lines in the NHL at the time and that is quite a feat in of itself. We took a little dive after that I believe...

I know that his value was probably at its highest point... but it hurt at the time in the regular season. Everything more than worked out in the long run though.

momentai is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 08:01 PM
  #17
kraigus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
I gotta go with elphy on this one: you can't just say "a first round pick for another", because it wasn't just that. It was a higher pick, and one that was used to select the player Lowe wanted. Perhaps Hemmer would have still been available; Lowe thought probably not, else he would have asked for something else. Maybe he was wrong, but maybe he wasn't. So, give the GM exchanging the picks the benefit of the doubt. (Easy for us Oilers fans to say, sure. )

At any rate, exchanging picks is not without value, so discounting the trade altogether is foolish. Ditto for discounting prospects "because they may not turn out". Prospects are not without value, else people wouldn't trade for them, and if you're gonna play that game, Guerin may have gotten hurt playing for Edmonton. We're none of us prophets.

rant OFF!

kraigus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.