HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Observations from MAC Breakfast

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2003, 05:16 PM
TimothyR

vCash: 500
Observations from MAC Breakfast

Today was the annual MAC (Missouri Athletic Club) Blues breakfast. This was probably my fourth one in a row. Here are some of my observations.

This seemed the most somber one to date. This is usually a rah rah event for the season, but it seemed different than previous years. It started about ½ hour late (supposed to begin about 7:30 am) and lasted only til 9 am. Attendance was great as usual.

Began with the introduction of the management and players. Then Sauer, Pleau and Q gave little speeches. Q stating that this team is going to be a “defense first” team this season. After that was the Q&A with Q. Very interesting in that this time nobody seemed to want to ask any questions. There must have been a total of maybe six questions. For the first time they actually quit because there were no more questions as opposed to having to stop due to time restraints. One of the questions was a “hardball” in that the person asked Q why the team “lost steam” in last year’s playoffs. Q blamed it on the flu that had hit the team.

Another question was whether Tkachuk would get time on the PK this season. I was surprised at Q’s response. He flat out looked at Tkachuk across the room and said that it depends solely on his effort each and every shift and whether he was committed to his defensive play. That stunned me.

They only gave away four attendance prizes. Far far fewer than previous years. That took a grand total of about a minute and a half.

All the players were there except for Cajanek. I didn’t go after any autographs this year (first time for that), but from what I saw the players were more than willing to sign.

I am still trying to get a feeling for what actually was going on and why. Like I said, much less enthusiasm from everybody; players and fans alike.

Old
10-07-2003, 06:01 PM
Nick Blue

Thanks for the insightful post. Weird comment about KT from Q. Sounds like he wants more from the KT PD SM line which was awful in its own zone last year. KT and PD have never killed penalties and are almost always thrown out there after the Blues kill a penalty so that was kind of a weird question from a fan. Do you really want your 10 million dollar players out there blocking slap shots?

Old
10-07-2003, 11:25 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
Thanks for the insightful post. Weird comment about KT from Q. Sounds like he wants more from the KT PD SM line which was awful in its own zone last year. KT and PD have never killed penalties and are almost always thrown out there after the Blues kill a penalty so that was kind of a weird question from a fan. Do you really want your 10 million dollar players out there blocking slap shots?
I do, it was a freak thing that he got hurt blocking a shot in that game last year. Blocking shots is a part of hockey. I want KT and all the players going balls out no matter what the score is.

Old
10-08-2003, 03:20 AM
degroat*

What I find amusing is that I heard that the fighting that went on between Johnson and Tkachuk was because Johnson accused him of not being committed defensively.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:07 AM
TimothyR

I think what bugs me the most was the whole attitude around the event. If this is an indication of the season, then we are all in for a very long one.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:36 AM
degroat*

What's odd is that the scene that you're describing is exactly the opposite of what is being described to us in all of the articles that are being published.

Maybe it's just a case of the quiet before the storm... all they can do for a week is sit there anxious about getting the season started.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:27 AM
TimothyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
What's odd is that the scene that you're describing is exactly the opposite of what is being described to us in all of the articles that are being published.
Hmmm. I find that interesting. I always go with two other guys and talking about it after the fact we all had the same conclusions. What articles? Unless you mean ones like the Post's Hockey Preview 2003 section today about how the players are talking about "It's this year" talk.

Closed Thread