HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Mackenzie's look at Team Canada 2004

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2003, 06:23 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 120
Mackenzie's look at Team Canada 2004

O'neill, Nolan, and Friesen?

I don't like those picks at all. I guess O'neill isn’t that bad of a selection, but I'd rather see Spezza, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Morrow, Murray, Allison (If healthy) Rucchin, or Morrison over all those guys. (Especially the last 2)

I wouldn't hand anything to Foote either. There's a lot of good young defensemen to choose from. (Blake, Pronger, Neidermayer, and Redden already provide more than enough leadership.)

Turco, Theodore?

Acceptable picks, but I think Luongo & Giguere deserve equal consideration.

Old
10-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Shoalzie

vCash: 500
When are they going to be announcing the rosters? How many players on each team?

The NHL season is just about to start but I'm excited about the World Cup also. Team USA has a lot of motivation...winning it for Herb Brooks, getting redemption for losing to Canada in the Olympics, and defending the first World Cup title.

Old
10-07-2003, 06:35 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
I agree, with Nolan's "100% back", I wouldn't pick him either. But if you're going for power forward, I'd take Murray over Nolan(since it's winger to winger). Allison, Rucchin, Morrison and Spezza are all centres.
Foote still has good years in him. Foote is your classic defensive d-man and if you put him out there against any #1 line, he'll do the job.
Giguere and Turco were a tandem for a previous world championship. If Theodore picks up his play this season, I don't see why he couldn't be there.

Old
10-07-2003, 06:40 PM
tom_servo

Lemieux wants to play in the World Cup.

Old
10-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

is there a link for this?
I'd like to see the full roster as Mckenzie envisions it...

Old
10-07-2003, 07:36 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_wildstabatanything

I don't like those picks at all. I guess O'neill isn’t that bad of a selection, but I'd rather see Spezza, Lecalvalier, St. Louis, Morrow, Murray, Allison (If healthy) Rucchin, or Morrison over all those guys. (Especially the last 2)

I wouldn't hand anything to Foote either. There's a lot of good young defensemen to choose from. (Blake, Pronger, Neidermayer, and Redden already provide more than enough leadership.)

Turco, Theodore?

I agree about Theodore...unless he has another very good season Luongo is everybit as deserving of a shot at the team. I`ve got no problems with O`Neil being on the team but I think there must be better choices than Friesen. Nolans a bit of a question mark but if he`s healthy I wouldn`t mind seeing him on the team either.

Old
10-07-2003, 07:48 PM
Vman

Quote:

I don't like those picks at all. I guess O'neill isnít that bad of a selection, but I'd rather see Spezza, Lecalvalier, St. Louis, Morrow, Murray, Allison (If healthy) Rucchin, or Morrison over all those guys. (Especially the last 2)

Turco, Theodore?

Is there a list of players?

Old
10-07-2003, 07:55 PM
kenabnrmal

He put Friesen on his team???? Yeah, he scored a few big goals in the playoffs, and more power to him. But for god's sakes, the guy scored 20 goals once in the past three seasons. He's a second liner, and thats it. I'd pee myself if he made Team Canada.

Nolan? If its the healthy, energetic Nolan, of course. But thats a big big if.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Snap Wilson

Nolan? You gotta be kidding me. Allison's too slow for international ice. Rooch is my favorite player in the league right now, but he's not fast enough, either. You don't need racehorses, but you do need guys who can get up and down the ice and move the puck well.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:09 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
My what a mistake you'd be making.

Adam Foote was Canada's best defenseman in the Olympics, and is a strong enough skater to keep up with the best of players. His defensive abilities alone should get him a spot on a team, but he also had a career high 31 points and 11 goals last year, so it's not his only asset.

At 31, I don't see why he wouldn't make the team.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:13 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:

I don't like those picks at all. I guess O'neill isnít that bad of a selection, but I'd rather see Spezza, Lecalvalier, St. Louis, Morrow, Murray, Allison (If healthy) Rucchin, or Morrison over all those guys. (Especially the last 2)

i'm not so sure about st.louis or rucchin over o'neill...

and the foote comments are priceless

Old
10-07-2003, 09:55 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

It's an interesting, if provocative, list.

Blake, however, isn't the defenceman he once was, and I'd stick Morris in there in place of him (especially if he takes yet another step forward this season).

Likewise, I'd drop Peca, Friesen and Nolan from the forward corps, and add Rucchin, Lecavalier, and Lindros.

I'd foresee the lineup something like this (provided Heatley and Lemieux aren't there)

Kariya-Lecavalier-Bertuzzi
Gagne-Sakic-Iginla (why break up what works?)
Smyth-Thornton-O'neill (this line will hurt)
Madden-Rucchin-Lindros

Foote-Jovanovski
Niedermayer-Morris
Pronger-Redden

Old
10-07-2003, 10:00 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 120
Kariya Sakic Iginla
Smyth Thornton Bertuzzi
Lecavalier Lemieux Spezza
Madden Peca O'Neill
Gagne

Pronger Redden
Blake Neidermayer
Jovo Foote
Brewer

Brodeur
Giguere (As long as he keeps it up)
Luongo

Old
10-07-2003, 10:06 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Some people are letting their love of prospects/young guns get the best of them by listing guys like Spezza and Luongo over proven NHLers who have done much more to earn positions on such a competitive team. I'm surprised (in a good way) that no one has tried to give Bouwmeester a place on the team yet. With a pool of potential players as deep and talented as Canada's, they should not be looking to set some kind of style point but instead look towards fielding the best team possible. World Championships is the place to invite some of the kids and see what they are made of, not this.

Old
10-07-2003, 10:15 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Guys like Peca, Rucchin, Foote are needed in a hockey team so it is wise to pick players like that. Also, in a tournament like this it is always nice to show off some younger stars. By that I mean Thornton, LeCavalier, Iginla and not Spezza.

Old
10-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
Guys like Peca, Rucchin, Foote are needed in a hockey team so it is wise to pick players like that. Also, in a tournament like this it is always nice to show off some younger stars. By that I mean Thornton, LeCavalier, Iginla and not Spezza.
I don't mean to suggest that all you want is aged veterans, far from it in fact. Having younger players is fine because you don't want your entire team to change from one tournament to the next because everyone retired. But the younger players have to be guys like the ones you named: players that have put up good, consistent NHL results. The difference between Turco, Giguere, and Theodore vs. Luongo is a good example of this.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:38 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
Nolan? You gotta be kidding me. Allison's too slow for international ice.
The teams in the North American pool play on NHL rinks. The European pool plays on the larger ice surfaces.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:30 AM
islandnucker

Send a message via ICQ to islandnucker
I like how McKenzie has two of the better defensive centres on the team (Madden and Peca). That should form a darn good first PK unit.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:39 AM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Bertuzzi - Thornton - Iginla
Kariya - Sakic - O'Neill
Smyth - Peca - Madden
Lindros - Lecavailler - Spezza
Nolan

Pronger - Redden
Foote - Blake
Jovanovski - Niedermayer
Brewer

Brodeur
Luongo
Turco

Old
10-08-2003, 07:20 AM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandnucker
I like how McKenzie has two of the better defensive centres on the team (Madden and Peca). That should form a darn good first PK unit.
I agree. Anyone who wants to give Peca's spot to Rucchin is nuts. In the World Championships that Peca has played in he was a leader and an invaluable asset to his team. Rucchin, while a fine player (when, if ever, healthy) is nowhere near Peca.

Also up front the Friesen selection reminds me of the Zamuner pick from Nagano. I would rather hold the spot open for that one guy who has a huge year, where everything he touches goes in the net, like Iginla's big year. There always seems to be one.

Other D-men like Morris and Jackman deserve a good look as alternates.

Having Brodeur and Turco there makes sense as both play similar styles so there is little in terms of adjustments for defencemen. I would take Theo over Luongo in a second. Besides which, we all know the 3rd guy watches from the press box anyway.

Old
10-08-2003, 07:58 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
I agree. Anyone who wants to give Peca's spot to Rucchin is nuts. In the World Championships that Peca has played in he was a leader and an invaluable asset to his team. Rucchin, while a fine player (when, if ever, healthy) is nowhere near Peca.
I dunno about, "nowhere near." They're about equal offensively over their careers, and both are top notch defensive players. Peca's a little quicker/nastier, while Rucchin has more size and seems to be better on faceoffs. Either guy would be a great role player.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:04 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

If I recall, this list was put out almost a year ago, December 2002. It was a part of the TSN Magazine, Team Canada. So, if some of the selections seem unlikely now, it's probably because its the same list as back then.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:14 AM
degroat*

This is next summer, right?

There's no reason to leave off Al MacInnis. He's was only the best Canadian defenseman in the league last year and as long as he wants to play, he should.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:52 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Madden over Levacalier

Old
10-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
If I recall, this list was put out almost a year ago, December 2002. It was a part of the TSN Magazine, Team Canada. So, if some of the selections seem unlikely now, it's probably because its the same list as back then.
If it's the same list, then they rebroadcast it last night with little or no change on their NHL Preview Special. Mackenzie sat there and said his only change would be to remove Heatley who would have been on it, with Lemieux who says he wants to play.

As for positions, many of these forwards can easily play all 3 forward spots. These are some of the very best players in the league after all, so the restriction to only having 4 centres seems a little ridiculous to me.

Closed Thread