HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

goalie cage question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-28-2006, 06:41 PM
  #1
sabresfan129103
So it begins...
 
sabresfan129103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 19,207
vCash: 500
goalie cage question

i've always wondered about this and nobody can seem to give me a straight answer. why is it that in college hockey, the ohl, the qmjhl, and highschool hockey all those goaile wear the different type of cage on their goalie mask, but as soon as they turn pro they change it to the style that all the nhl goalies use. is that type of cage not allowed until you become a professional. Any feedback on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2006, 07:05 PM
  #2
Khris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
The cateye-cage (used by most professionals) is forbidden in juniors/college because the openings right in front of the eyes are big enough to let a stick (blade) through (if it hits the helmet in an unfortunate way, that is).

Khris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2006, 09:10 PM
  #3
aerialis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: toronto & pittsburgh
Country: Canada
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
you should check out some of the funky cages they have over in europe, like the weird honeycomb/harry potter-style

aerialis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2006, 11:04 PM
  #4
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103
why is it that in college hockey, the ohl, the qmjhl, and highschool hockey all those goaile wear the different type of cage on their goalie mask, but as soon as they turn pro they change it to the style that all the nhl goalies use. is that type of cage not allowed until you become a professional.
For recreational use, you can use that cage in most leagues after you are 18.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 12:31 AM
  #5
Doctor Hook
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
I think they do make a cat's eye cage that is legal for the junior/college/HS leagues, but obviously the eyes are a lot smaller and you might as well be wearing a regular cage anyway.

Remember back in the day when Itech shield facemasks were the big thing? I saw a few goalies use those, but I always thought that was dumb because I'm pretty sure a booming slapper would shatter those like my dreams of a Bruins playoff berth.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 01:54 AM
  #6
Canadian Chris
Registered User
 
Canadian Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hook
I think they do make a cat's eye cage that is legal for the junior/college/HS leagues, but obviously the eyes are a lot smaller and you might as well be wearing a regular cage anyway.

Remember back in the day when Itech shield facemasks were the big thing? I saw a few goalies use those, but I always thought that was dumb because I'm pretty sure a booming slapper would shatter those like my dreams of a Bruins playoff berth.
Dustin Slade for instance uses a modified Cat-eye

This one is from the 04-05 Season with the Surrey Eagles
http://www.bchockey.com/bchockey/ima...pg19chiefs.jpg Tough to tell, but it is modified

this one is from this past season with the Giants
http://cluster.leaguestat.com/downlo...eActionweb.JPG

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 01:56 AM
  #7
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hook
I think they do make a cat's eye cage that is legal for the junior/college/HS leagues, but obviously the eyes are a lot smaller and you might as well be wearing a regular cage anyway.
They are a bit better than a regular cage

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 02:21 PM
  #8
sc37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: OH-IO
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khris
The cateye-cage (used by most professionals) is forbidden in juniors/college because the openings right in front of the eyes are big enough to let a stick (blade) through (if it hits the helmet in an unfortunate way, that is).
I'd sum that all up by saying some cages are HECC/CSA certified, etc and some arn't because of those openings. Take a closer look at the cages that are and the ones that arn't

http://www.hockeygiant.com/goalie-ho...lie-cages.html

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.