HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Semin?

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2003, 06:48 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

vCash: 500
Semin?

where will this guy play this year?
what line and with who?
will he be on the farm?

Old
10-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Weary

He made the team for now. The quotes coming from the organization don't seem to indicate that he'll be getting a lot of minutes. He'll be "worked in". If working him in doesn't work out, he won't be sent to the AHL, he'll be returned to his Russian team in Togliatti.

Old
10-07-2003, 07:28 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Its kinda hard to predict where the forward lines will be next week. Cassidy likes to change them a lot (despite what he says I think this year will be like lasts), I think he can earn himself a spot on one of the top 2 lines...with excellent play early on.

Old
10-07-2003, 07:48 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

The Washington Post is reporting that he'll be in and out of the lineup. I don't think this is a bad. The season here is almost twice as long as in Russia, plus the ice is smaller, the play more physica, and the language different. I'm sure he'll be kept here as long as he can keep up, everything indicates that he can keep up. He'll play in as many games as he can handle without getting tired/injured/overwhelmed. I think it's been reported that he'll be playing with Grier and Lang when he's in the lineup.

Old
10-08-2003, 03:27 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsFan@Vassar
The Washington Post is reporting that he'll be in and out of the lineup. I don't think this is a bad. The season here is almost twice as long as in Russia, plus the ice is smaller, the play more physica, and the language different. I'm sure he'll be kept here as long as he can keep up, everything indicates that he can keep up. He'll play in as many games as he can handle without getting tired/injured/overwhelmed. I think it's been reported that he'll be playing with Grier and Lang when he's in the lineup.
Its just speculation on my part, but I think the decision to use Gordon on the first line which leaves Semin with questionable ice time has a lot to do with the schedule. The Caps are front loaded with games against Toronto, Ottawa, Dallas, St. Louis, Anaheim, NYI, Philadelphia. The Caps play two games against teams under .500, both Atlanta, in their first 13 games. I think with the Caps being forced to play Boumedienne, Eminger or Kwiatkowski on just about every defensive shift, the Caps are looking to minimize defensive issues and turnovers by forwards.
Konowalchuk indicates that Gordon has been a solid defensive player...
"First of all, the kids have earned their spots," emphasizes Konowalchuk, the Capitals' captain. "Emmy has improved over last year and he has proved he is ready for a spot. Boyd has played great all camp and not just with the puck. He has played strong off the puck too, which I think is the hardest part for a young guy. Semin has all the talent. I haven't seen hands like that come through here in a long time.
Cassidy backs up his concern in the Washington Times....
"We love Alex's skills with the puck but have to get him to understand that there are so many 2-1 games that making safe, no-risk plays are what wins you games some nights," Cassidy said. "We had a lot of risky plays last year, and we want to get away from that."

I would imagine they would play Semin more if the schedule wasn't so front loaded with the top half of the league. My guess is that the longer the season goes on the more you will see of Semin. Frankly I can't imagine a first line of Gordon-Miller-Jagr lasting very long. I can see Zubrus leading the team in scoring and this makes that even more likely.

Closed Thread