HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Name your top five players off all time (Richard fans, skip this one out)

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2005, 11:39 PM
KariyaIsGod*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch
First of all, there's no comparison between 66 and 99; Mario was so much better. As for PPG ..well..he ******* drew the penalties, whereas I NEVER saw 99 draw nuthin;. No one slashed, tripped 99 or hooked him etc etc.
That's all you have?

A worthless statement drawn from your clearly biased opinions?

Do you have any penalties drawn numbers to back this argument up, or is it just more silly propaganda?

Bottom line, the numbers do not lie. Mario whooped it up on the powerplay...

Isn't it amazing how even though Wayne scored far more goals, he still has a lower percentage number of them on PPs...

Talk about a guy whooping it, Mario used the powerplay as a damn crutch...

Old
11-25-2005, 06:01 PM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses
Mario whooped it up on the powerplay...

You saw Mario jump into a defencemens arms over and over - he didnt even raise his stick when he scored!

Old
11-25-2005, 07:21 PM
pappyline

Hey. I'm a Mario fan too and I have been watching hockey for over 50 years and have seen all of the players on my list. Bobby Hull was setting goal scoring records back in the days when goals were hard to score. Watching him wind up behind his net and go end to end was something to watch. by the way I am not on any drugs but wat are you smoking?

Old
11-25-2005, 08:23 PM
tape-2-tape

AWESOME THREAD!!! Here goes...

1-Orr
2-Gretzky
3-Howe
4-Richard
5-Yzerman
5A-Lemieux

Old
11-26-2005, 12:27 AM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
You saw Mario jump into a defencemens arms over and over - he didnt even raise his stick when he scored!
Seriously?

Do you even watch hockey?

Mario's celebrations during his younger days were at times outlandish..

To say Wayne celebrated more or Mario celebrated more is total nonsense anyways...

Old
11-26-2005, 09:08 AM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Hey. I'm a Mario fan too and I have been watching hockey for over 50 years and have seen all of the players on my list. Bobby Hull was setting goal scoring records back in the days when goals were hard to score. Watching him wind up behind his net and go end to end was something to watch. by the way I am not on any drugs but wat are you smoking?
Dont worry about Omopopo, JCD, Dr Moses or BringBucky.

By the way: Did Hull have a goon protetcor to help him score unimpeded in the 60's? or did he take care of himself?

Old
11-26-2005, 11:03 AM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Dont worry about Omopopo, JCD, Dr Moses or BringBucky.

By the way: Did Hull have a goon protetcor to help him score unimpeded in the 60's? or did he take care of himself?
Mario Lemieux - Rod Buskas
Bobby Hull - Gilles Marotte, Keith Magnuson
Guy Lafleur - Doug Riseborough, Larry Robinson...

Old
11-26-2005, 01:00 PM
boredmale

My top 5 Favorite Players of all time

1 Billy Smith - i used to love how he slashed other players when they were in his zone, he probably would have 100 Penalty minutes if he played the same style in the new NHL. I remember on a few occasions where he would jam his stick into a players legs or body then they turn around and wack him and they would get the penalty.

2. Mike Bossy - Probably best Islander ever although Denis Potvin might have something to say about that.

3. Kelly Hrudey - sucks he took the #1 position from my favorite guy but i always loved him in NY and LA. On a side note i think he is 100 times more entertaining on HNIC then Don Cherry. I still remember his appearence on Reading Rainbow when i was a kid.

4. Ziggy Palffy - one of the few bright spots in the mid to late 90s for the Islanders

5. Pierre Turgeon - class act who i find myself still routing for today as long as he isn't playing the Islanders.

Last edited by boredmale: 11-26-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old
11-26-2005, 06:49 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses
Mario Lemieux - Rod Buskas
Bobby Hull - Gilles Marotte, Keith Magnuson
Guy Lafleur - Doug Riseborough, Larry Robinson...
In the 60's the superstars fought their own battles. Goon's didn't make the NHL. Howe, Howe & Orr fought their own battles quite capably. Hull had some big battles with John ferguson And Bugsy Watson. Teams always put a shadow on him. Never heard of Marotte or Magnussen fighting a battle for Bobby.

Old
11-26-2005, 08:01 PM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
In the 60's the superstars fought their own battles. Goon's didn't make the NHL. Howe, Howe & Orr fought their own battles quite capably. Hull had some big battles with John ferguson And Bugsy Watson. Teams always put a shadow on him. Never heard of Marotte or Magnussen fighting a battle for Bobby.
Thanks Murray. Dr Moses thinks a 2x Norris Trophy winner and Hof'er was a goon protector for Guy Lafleur. Nuf said. Case closed. Over and out. He's Owned.

Old
11-27-2005, 03:16 AM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Thanks Murray. Dr Moses thinks a 2x Norris Trophy winner and Hof'er was a goon protector for Guy Lafleur. Nuf said. Case closed. Over and out. He's Owned.
He was an oaf. Why would anyone in their right mind fight him anyway?

His protection was present through intimidation...

That's probably going to go over your head..

Old
11-27-2005, 07:04 AM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
No mention of Lafleur? By the way I dont get the horrible hart part for Lemieux... anyone who had a horrible heart wouldn't have come back from cancer to play hockey and lead the league in scoring. Also anyone with a horrible heart wouldn't have saved a franchise the way he did.
That is a bad mis-representation of what happened.

What Mario did was sue the team over back pay. When they were on the verge of bankruptcy, he was given two options: let them fall and get pennies on the dollars (millions in losses) or use that back pay towards purchase.

He didn't swoop in with a red cape on, he protected his investment.

Old
11-27-2005, 07:09 AM
JCD

Quote:
Hows this for no heart - refuses to allow others to hit him or else face a bashing by some bodyguard goon;arranges a trade out of the city that supported him for US bucks and the limelight and then blames his wife; doesnt support the oldtimers like Gordie in pension fight but instead supports the NHl eventhough he's an active player at the time; raises his kids in US while pimpin' chevy trucks ad nauseum and selling lousy food at a cheezy diner in Canada; hires the suspended goon Marty McSorley; hires himself as a coach and lets experienced ex-coaches run the team while hogging the limelight; as Sather pointed out recently, always wanted to be out there with the empty net goal possibility.
The only thing more pronounced than your tenacity is your stupidity.

You really don't have to worry about me, I already know what you are. Murray will figure it out soon enough.

Old
11-27-2005, 09:46 AM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
The only thing more pronounced than your tenacity is your stupidity.

You really don't have to worry about me, I already know what you are. Murray will figure it out soon enough.
Murray saw all the players and says Mario was better than your hero. accept it. 99 was a product of nhl marketing towards the uninitiated like you.

btw I'm still waiting for youre first intelligent post, JCD(or Omogogo or Drmoses or Bucky or whatever you call yourself.)

Old
11-27-2005, 09:51 AM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Murray saw all the players and says Mario was better than your hero. accept it. 99 was a product of nhl marketing towards the uninitiated like you.

btw I'm still waiting for youre first intelligent post, JCD(or Omogogo or Drmoses or Bucky or whatever you call yourself.)

Sorry chaunch, I'm not involved in your argument. I implore you to stop your continued obsessing over me; I've made it perfectly clear I am not interested. Please stick to the topics at hand without insulting other posters and especially without continued referencing to myself.

Thanks in advance.

Old
11-27-2005, 10:07 AM
JCD

Quote:

You are simply a pathetic joke. MY first intelligent post? Good grief. You got assreamed in every debate and constantly degrade every single thread into another "I hate Wayne" diatribe. You are like some bizarre cartoon character who parrots the same line endlessly and doesn't realize just how stupid they look and sound. A punchline. Like Alice the Goon, but instead of "I love Popeye", it is "I hate Gretzky". How you have not been banned yet is a mystery to me. You are the very definition of a troll and have contributed NOTHING to this board.

Old
11-27-2005, 10:29 AM
KariyaIsGod*

Chooch...

Are you a masochist?

It must be true because you seem to be enjoying the intellectual abuse you receive from us daily, way too much...

Old
11-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:

The difference is you constantly try to degrade Gretzky in your arguments. Nobody does that with your hero, Mario. Everybody realizes both players are amongst the greatest ever, but only argue who may or may not have been the best. Who is best is a matter of opinion. Logical arguments are there to make in both Mario's and Wayne's favour, but when it comes to Wayne, you throw logic to the wind, unlike people who rate Wayne higher. Do you not see the difference or are you just an attention *****?

Old
11-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
That's enough.