HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa: Revisited..

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Hossa: Revisited..

since I re-watched the Montreal game to monitor Malik (in another thread), I paid close attention to Hossa. What we seem to have here is a floater. He starts moving when the Rangers start moving the puck up ice. Straka and Rucchin work hard out there. Hossa waits for their work to pay off to start moving (and his first couple steps are like he's stuck in molasses). He is talented. Good hand-eye coordination. Good size, which he used once or twice. But no drive.

Old
10-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
since I re-watched the Montreal game to monitor Malik (in another thread), I paid close attention to Hossa. What we seem to have here is a floater. He starts moving when the Rangers start moving the puck up ice. Straka and Rucchin work hard out there. Hossa waits for their work to pay off to start moving (and his first couple steps are like he's stuck in molasses). He is talented. Good hand-eye coordination. Good size, which he used once or twice. But no drive.
Pretty much the same as in Montreal and why I didn't like his aquisition...That being said, if he continues to be in the right place at the right time, meshing with his linemates, and revs it up a little..I will gladly eat the crow that is warming up..

Old
10-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Fletch

I'd love to see you eat crow...

and his lack of desire actually landed him a goal, and maybe two. But he's not going to keep batting a thousand. He'll need to get involved, otherwise we'll be pretty disappointed come mid-November. He has the size and ability. He just needs to want to do it.

Old
10-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Hossa

2 games 2 goals

keep it up marcel

Old
10-08-2005, 12:08 PM
eco's bones

Not that you might not be right but I think it's a little early to be judging these two. Especially Hossa as he's in a different enviroment from a week ago.

Old
10-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Fletch

I'm only evaluating...

what I'm seeing based on three games. I think I've said that in the past. I saw him play once or twice before, but I can't count that. I can say what I believe he needs to do to be successful. I think in seeing him in four games one can surmise that he has good skill, decent size and good hand/eye coordination, as well as a quick shot. My observation was that he's a floater, and needs to become involved otherwise come mid-November, he likely won't be on that goal-a-game pace. I haven't said sit him, demote him, or anything else. Having said all that, I'd still love to see Prucha play in his favor. I think Prucha works harder and creates more opportunities (from what I've seen in limited play) and he would mesh well with Straka, who is a very hard worker too. I'm still upset that Prucha didn't get a shot with the big boys, even though I thought he seemingly deserved such a shot. No worries though...I think in time, we'll see him.

Old
10-08-2005, 12:21 PM
in the hall

Hossa is very good on the offensive zone, he works with the puck and does not lose it.. he can create plays.. his D is nonexistant and does float

Old
10-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Hossa waits for their work to pay off to start moving (and his first couple steps are like he's stuck in molasses). He is talented. Good hand-eye coordination. Good size, which he used once or twice. But no drive.
sounds alot like another ranger, sounds alot like bure, granted bure did actually play two way hockey once he got here, but the knock on him in florida was that he was a one way player who floated and scored lots of goals

im hoping that in time hossa may become a more complete player, hes only been a ranger for a total of 2 regular season games and 2 pre season games, sometimes its hard to break bad habits, im willing to give him a chance as long as he produces and doesnt hurt this team defensively

Old
10-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Fletch

I was thinking more along the lines...

of Kovalev, Jan. He doesn't have nearly the speed of Bure, and he has Kovalev's size.

Hall - I'm not too impressed with his ability to keep the puck - I've actually noticed an inability in three games. He benefits greatly from having Straka working his butt off to get the puck to him - and that's paid off now...twice.

Old
10-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Hossa

2 games 2 goals

keep it up marcel
Exactly, how do guys go on tears and produce significantly? They get confidence early on and they build on it. It doesnt matter if joe schmo on the internet wants to designate his goals as luck and say its no big deal. What should be obvious to some people is that this isnt EHM. This is real, and renney/sather have to take founded actions. Hossa is young enough and he has scored, so whats the reason to want him out of the lineup? And Hossa WONT be sat for Prucha. Production=in the lineup, plain and simple. If you take a guy out who has 2 in 2, youre making a big mistake.

Old
10-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
If he's scoring, let him float. Others will play d and get the puck out of the zone. It's a good thing he's on a line with two solid two-way players since it obviously makes him look less defensively retarded.

Old
10-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Fletch

Balej...

part of what I say is me looking ahead. If he keeps playing like this, the pucks will not go in. He's not going to be 100% on shots this season. I don't think I've called his goals luck. They were, however, the result of others' hard work, for which someone else could benefit too, or perhaps even produce some of his own magic with the same linemates. I've gone on to say what I think he'll need to be done in the long-run to remain in the lineup and be successful. To me, it's not as simple as saying two goals in two games and that's it. I like to look at bit deeper.

Old
10-08-2005, 02:43 PM
in the hall

i think jagr is the best comparison!!

of course not nearly as good but same type of player

kovalev is way more shiftier then hossa but he's not a bad comp too

Old
10-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Fletch

I was real surprised...

how big he looked on the ice. The perspective from four rows back is pretty amazing. Moore is tiny. His hockey shirt looks like it's a size too big on him. And Malik is huge.

The reason I said Kovalev is I saw one shift in which he seemed to play by himself without a purpose. I saw another, when he was with Jagr, I forget which game, in which he over-handled the puck. In other words, he reminds me of the Kovalev the Rangers had prior to the PITT trade, minus some skill and a huge slapshot and great wrister...or, a floater who plays up high, occasionally poking his stick in, and allowing his mates to do all the hard work (by the way, Kovalev's been my favorite player since he scored a hattrick against Buffalo in December 1992 - so I guess I like floaters).

Old
10-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
You want another Kovalev type? We just traded Balej for him. Fedor Fedorov is going to look like a younger, poor man's Kovalev.

Old
10-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Fletch

How poor?

I've never seen Fedor play...and for some reason didn't think I ever would. I do wonder what Sather's got planned...will he be Lundmark's replacement? Is this just a bit of a tryout, which I somehow doubt.

Old
10-08-2005, 04:15 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Please watch that game 16 more times and tell us how much each of our players suck, it's really encouraging.

It was ONE game.

And Fedorov is absolutely horrible, much worse than Balej.

Old
10-08-2005, 04:34 PM
JAGRISTHEMAN

He (Hossa) uses his body to ward people away from the puck in teh offensive zone behind the net and along the boards the same way his brother does. I do not see any way this wasnt a good trade. Garth Muarry may never play 30 games in the NHL.

Old
10-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Fletch

I understand it's one game...

it just seemed as though I was on a different page than so many, even on the analysis of that one game. So, I decided to re-visit it and post my thoughts. I've had the same opinion of Malik for about 5 or 6 years now, so really, for me, it's not just one game. It's the last several years, a couple preseason games and a couple regular season games. The recap was on one game, yes.

Hossa's a different story since I've seen him play little. And to JAGRISTHEMAN...I don't think I've mentioned that it was a bad trade. I've been of the opinion that I'd rather see Prucha out there instead of Hossa, that's all.

Thanks for the encouragement on Federov...he will be in a Rangers uniform shortly. When will Val Bure arrive? I assume he's the next brother of a superstar to join. We've already had the wrong Hatcher, the other Hossa, and now the lesser-known Federov, while flirting with a Tselios, who was too distant in relation to make this team.

Old
10-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
part of what I say is me looking ahead. If he keeps playing like this, the pucks will not go in. He's not going to be 100% on shots this season. I don't think I've called his goals luck. They were, however, the result of others' hard work, for which someone else could benefit too, or perhaps even produce some of his own magic with the same linemates. I've gone on to say what I think he'll need to be done in the long-run to remain in the lineup and be successful. To me, it's not as simple as saying two goals in two games and that's it. I like to look at bit deeper.
This is the best post yet, you've completly understood Marcel Hossa in just a few lines. He did EXACTLY the same when he got his first stint in Montreal. I'm not hoping for him to fail, on the contrary(Rangers need to be good), but he's not that talented at all and he has a lot of problems keeping pace. He's been like that in every league including last year in Sweden where a lot of people we're tired of his play. However, the Rags didnt give anything of value so its not a bad trade.

Old
10-08-2005, 05:59 PM
in the hall

hes talented enough to be a top 6 forward, i'm not sure what you're trying to say because no one is confusing him for a future first liner

Old
10-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
hes talented enough to be a top 6 forward, i'm not sure what you're trying to say because no one is confusing him for a future first liner
Thats what I meant, I dont think he's even talented enough for a top 6 position. I started noticing it 2 years ago and i was really hoping I was wrong this year.

Old
10-08-2005, 06:05 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Thats what I meant, I dont think he's even talented enough for a top 6 position. I started noticing it 2 years ago and i was really hoping I was wrong this year.
that is plain silly, because he has no third line qualities, in fact his talent is all offense

he is smooth with the puck, doesn't have the best shot but he can handle the puck, skate with it and does have enough to net it

Old
10-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
that is plain silly, because he has no third line qualities, in fact his talent is all offense

he is smooth with the puck, doesn't have the best shot but he can handle the puck, skate with it and does have enough to net it
The problem is that like any goal scorer Hossa will go through droughts where he doesn't score. Then, his lack of talent in other areas will become that much more obvious. What does he bring to the lineup if he isn't scoring?

Old
10-08-2005, 06:40 PM
NYRangers

I think he heard you, he just made a crazy back checking play.

Closed Thread