HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 10/8 New York Rangers @ New Jersey Devils - 7:35pm - Lundqvists Debut

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2005, 02:37 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494
Why mess with a first line that is clicking? Nieminen is not a good enough to play 2nd line IMO either and Prucha should play LW...I agree about Malik on the PP though
Thats true. If Prucha's LW, he's most likely fourth line though. I'd really like to give him a better shot. We all know he has TONS of heart. But he's supposed to come with great offensive skills. For Nieminen, I don't really think it matters the number of the line. Niemo is such a different brand of player that we have aside from Hollweg that he may do wonders for guys like Rucchin and Hossa. Open the ice up for Hossa to dangle and shoot. Aside from Jagr's line, 2/3/4 are interchangeable for me.

Old
10-09-2005, 02:57 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic
Hey, I like the New Look Rangers, that's what we should call them, not the NEW YORK Rangers, they hustle, and try their damndest, I think that's what anyone would wanna see out of their team, it might even put life back into a fading rivalry! Reminds me of my Blue Jays, they didn't make the playoffs, or finish .500 but they were exciting and never gave up. I congratulate this team for being a team, great stuff. That being said, Marty has been facing ALOT of rubber, but so far he's been pretty darn good........alot of goal mouth goals against is what's costing him.
What's up with the Devils? They haven't looked the same. Even in the 5-1 Pittsburgh game (maybe it was all of the penalties), I thought that they didn't look great. This isn't the Devils defense I have been accustomed to seeing.

Old
10-09-2005, 03:00 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
What's up with the Devils? They haven't looked the same. Even in the 5-1 Pittsburgh game (maybe it was all of the penalties), I thought that they didn't look great. This isn't the Devils defense I have been accustomed to seeing.
Everyone questioned how good the Devils would be in this "New" NHL.

Old
10-09-2005, 08:19 AM
Fletch

The Devils will adjust..

their large defensemen didn't have much trouble keeping up, especially late in the game. They seemed to start flat, but dominated the second half of the game. Brodeur was asked to do a bit more than normal, but they're a smar team with skill, size and grit and will figure things out, I believe.

Old
10-09-2005, 08:20 AM
Fletch

Prucha can play...

either wing..left or right..

Old
10-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Fletch

Marley...

I actually totally forgot about Nienimen...

Trottier...I agree that this team has the possbiliity to work hard throughout the season because the bottom two lines will work hard and there are plenty of guys to fill-in those spots if there's sign of faltering.

Old
10-09-2005, 08:25 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
their large defensemen didn't have much trouble keeping up, especially late in the game. They seemed to start flat, but dominated the second half of the game. Brodeur was asked to do a bit more than normal, but they're a smar team with skill, size and grit and will figure things out, I believe.
After seeing the quotes from Larry Robinson in the papers its obvious that he have no clue what to do. NJD had a headstart on everyone(beeing so organized) gooing into the season, thanks to Larry they aren't using it.

Old
10-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
no way can you bench Hollweg at all, that would send completely the wrong signal. he has gotten 3 completely bogus calls against him already.. Let the kid keep going nuts out there.
Believe me, I'm all with you on Hollweg...Nobody likes his game better then I...But a "learning" sit down against a non-physical team could be advantageous as long as the plan is to get him back into the line-up...Mistakes and all, his energy and physicality is desperately needed on the Rangers on most nights...But there's also a numbers game with Prucha, Moore, lundmark, etc who also bring good stuff on most nights...We need a trade or send-down to clear out a body...

Old
10-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice
Hollweg takes a **** load of penalties. He should sit for Ville
At least 2 of his penalties this season have been marginal at best. In the context of what some of the Devils were getting away with last night, one could make the argument that Hollweg was a victim again.

So what do you do with Poti now that every other defenseman on the team has proven they can put together a better game than he can?

Old
10-09-2005, 09:59 AM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
So what do you do with Poti now that every other defenseman on the team has proven they can put together a better game than he can?
Its certainly not a coincidence that this team played its best defensive game in years with Poti sitting in the stands. The answer is simple Melrose; either trade him to the highest bidder (regardless of what the return is) or cut him. Poti has no business taking minutes from any one else on this team!

Old
10-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Fletch

How did Jersey have a headstart?

Elias is sick. Stevens retired. Niedermayer was counted on inititially to be on the team, but they lost out. There are a couple new guys at forward. They signed defesnemen in the offseason. They lost, or purged, a guy or two due to the salary cap, and they're getting used to the new rules just like everyone else. I'm not sure how they had much of a headstart. Some continuity at forward and in goal, maybe, but I don't know how much a headstart that is.

Old
10-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Fletch

Best defensive game in years?

they gave up three goals and 17 shots in the third period. I can't imagine what it would've looked like if the penalties weren't so one-sided. Amazingly enough, the defensively challenged Poti is even in two games and is perfect on the penalty kill in those two games. I guess that's all Strudwick, his partner, who I think is actually the weak link.

The Rangers are going to have to find someone other than Rozsival and Straka to man the power play. Special teams should've been the difference last night - and I guess the Devils felt the same since they stayed in the game by going 7-8 on the penalty kill.

Old
10-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Trottier...I agree that this team has the possbiliity to work hard throughout the season because the bottom two lines will work hard and there are plenty of guys to fill-in those spots if there's sign of faltering.
And that is the essense of rebuildling: instilling a work ethic, a consistent team personality that is carried on game-to-game, month-to-month, year-to-year. Of course, you need talent to win; ultimately talent wins out. But players come and go. If the correct work approach/attitude remains, you can build a consistently (highly) competitive team. Put it this way: think anyone is ever allowed to slack off on NJD? Put another way: despite the talent on the roster, did NYR fans know what type of an effort they would get night-to-night in recent years?

If NYR can ingrain that solid work ethic - to the extent that it becomes expected/demanded - this season will be a positive, regardless of the end result. For it will become the environment in which your young players are developed. Sounds corny, but it's true.

Old
10-09-2005, 02:31 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Believe me, I'm all with you on Hollweg...Nobody likes his game better then I...But a "learning" sit down against a non-physical team could be advantageous as long as the plan is to get him back into the line-up...Mistakes and all, his energy and physicality is desperately needed on the Rangers on most nights...But there's also a numbers game with Prucha, Moore, lundmark, etc who also bring good stuff on most nights...We need a trade or send-down to clear out a body...
There is no way you can justify sitting Hollweg. The kid is playing his heart out and being aggressive, which is what you have to be to play the role he's playing. He's taken some penalties, but that's the nature of his game. He's a pest. His job is to drive the opposition to distraction, and he's not going to be able to do that by looking at them funny or telling mother jokes. Those are the penalties this team is just going to have to kill. When the other team starts running back at him, and they will, you'll be more than happy to accept the power plays. And replacing him with Niemenen, who is going to go out and do EXACTLY the same thing, to me, sends Hollweg the wrong message. Give him a little time to get his feet wet for crying out loud, before you're benching him. It would be another thing entirely to say "Ryan, we're going to give you a break tonight because we know you've been banging the hell out of the other team and we want to get (fill in the blank) some minutes to shake the rust off" than to say "Hey, that was a bad penalty you took the other night, why don't you spend a night in street clothes to think it over". The first message makes him understand that there are other guys on the team chomping at the bit to get out there too, and he should really value his ice time because it's not guaranteed. The second makes him wonder if he were doing the right thing at all and second guess himself. If Hollweg is not out there hitting and being physical, he's just not going to be valuable enough to keep on the roster. If he is, he'll be a tremendous asset.

Closed Thread