HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN future 15 (Hemsky #4)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-07-2003, 03:58 PM
  #1
dem
Registered User
 
dem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,594
vCash: 500
ESPN future 15 (Hemsky #4)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1632492
Hemsky at #4
I dont know what Tootoo is doing on the list.. but whatever.
Looks like it might just be Mcguires list.

dem is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 04:18 PM
  #2
Allan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1632492
Hemsky at #4
I dont know what Tootoo is doing on the list.. but whatever.
Looks like it might just be Mcguires list.
I think it was a list of ambassador types, as opposed to the most skilled players. Tootoo certainly has a chance to get a following in Nashville like Georges Laraque has here - one of the most popular players on the team, but certainly not one of the most talented.

Allan is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 04:22 PM
  #3
riles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I think it was a list of ambassador types, as opposed to the most skilled players. Tootoo certainly has a chance to get a following in Nashville like Georges Laraque has here - one of the most popular players on the team, but certainly not one of the most talented.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...e?statsId=2849

check out Hemmer's profile on ESPN, man he's huge only 20 but look at that birthdate!

riles is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 04:29 PM
  #4
dem
Registered User
 
dem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by riles
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...e?statsId=2849

check out Hemmer's profile on ESPN, man he's huge only 20 but look at that birthdate!

dem is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 05:01 PM
  #5
Vyse64
N64
 
Vyse64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,767
vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by riles
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...e?statsId=2849

check out Hemmer's profile on ESPN, man he's huge only 20 but look at that birthdate!
just goes to show how espn is no.1 hockey in coverage

Vyse64 is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 05:22 PM
  #6
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,060
vCash: 500
I hope Mizral doesn't see that list.

It must be an uniformed rag if they don't have henrik higher than ales.

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 05:57 PM
  #7
elphy101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
Those are quite the honors for Hemsky even if it is ESPN.

He's rated Higher than Marion Hossa, Marian Gaborik, Illya Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, Thornton and Iginla.

I have to disagree with ESPN but still that is quite an achievement for Hemsky no matter who says it.

elphy101 is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 06:10 PM
  #8
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 500
hmmmm so since its 1920 and hemsky is a 6'5 220 lbs guy...way to be espn!!

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2 is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 06:12 PM
  #9
Allan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
hmmmm so since its 1920 and hemsky is a 6'5 220 lbs guy...way to be espn!!
Yeah, but how dominant would a 6'5" 220lb player as fast as Hemsky have been in 1920? Wouldn't have wanted to be playing for the Maroons that year. :p

Allan is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 06:14 PM
  #10
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
I hope Mizral doesn't see that list.

It must be an uniformed rag if they don't have henrik higher than ales.
We should probably give this a rest on Mizral. I don't really want this entire thing to perpetuate any longer than it has already.

That being said... Joe Thornton and Vinny are horribly low.. Hemsky is just way too high on this list. I would even put Heater and Kovy above him no question.

This has got to be Pierre Maguire's work. Parise is up there already and he hasn't played one game in the NHL yet....

momentai is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 06:14 PM
  #11
VayaConDios
Registered User
 
VayaConDios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 592
vCash: 500
Parise is on that list.... Don't get me started.

VayaConDios is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 07:06 PM
  #12
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
at times last year, he looked like a whiley veteran, now i know why, a 104 yr old man has got to know a little bit about hockey.

i wouldnt read too much into this list, as much as i love Hemmer, he doesn't belong that high on the list.

Mowzie is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 08:14 PM
  #13
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,391
vCash: 500
Yeah, I don't think that list is in any sort of order. It's just 15 young players to look for in the future.

Seachd is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 08:22 PM
  #14
GorillazXL
Registered User
 
GorillazXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalieDude
Parise is on that list.... Don't get me started.
Yeah, how the he11 did he get on the list without playing a single game. Then again this is coming from the same guy that was crying bloody murder that no one took Parise within the first ten picks, if I remember correctly.

GXL

GorillazXL is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 09:28 PM
  #15
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Ya, I'm fairly confused too.... they have a 7 year veteran, who has been in the running for the hart trophy already in a list with a guy who's never played a game in professional hockey......... ESPN..... those guys should REALLY stick to football.... they are brutal

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 04:49 AM
  #16
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Did some of you even read the friggin intro to the article?

You know the 8 or so paragraphs talking about these are players who will be not only the future stars, but the guy the media can go to later on and get a real quote from, guys who will really appeal to the fan base, and give them stuff to talk about.

It wasn't the order of the most skilled, it was a combination of those factors.

Hemsky is looking like he will be a star in this league. He has already done very well in the few interviews I have seen, both recognizing his shortcomings, but also giving credit to linemates, etc... And let's not forget fan appeal. Is there anyone in Edmonton who doesn't love this kid, and who would organize a seige on Oiler headquarters if Lowe were to trade him? And let's not forget the fans of other teams who have been wowed by him.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 07:20 AM
  #17
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,460
vCash: 500
Let's not be so presumptuous to fawn over our guy being in the top 15 of a very bad article.

I have high hopes for Hemsky as we all do, but to put any weight into that article is just silly.

Slats432 is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 10:46 AM
  #18
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Did some of you even read the friggin intro to the article?

You know the 8 or so paragraphs talking about these are players who will be not only the future stars, but the guy the media can go to later on and get a real quote from, guys who will really appeal to the fan base, and give them stuff to talk about.

It wasn't the order of the most skilled, it was a combination of those factors.

Hemsky is looking like he will be a star in this league. He has already done very well in the few interviews I have seen, both recognizing his shortcomings, but also giving credit to linemates, etc... And let's not forget fan appeal. Is there anyone in Edmonton who doesn't love this kid, and who would organize a seige on Oiler headquarters if Lowe were to trade him? And let's not forget the fans of other teams who have been wowed by him.
Future stars? Joe Thornton already is a star and well on his way to becoming a superstar is his own right. Even Kovy and Heater (before the accident) could be considered stars already as could Vincent.

Hemsky doesn't even have a firm grasp of the English language yet. Let's hold off bfore we coin him the Alex Mogilny of the Czech Republic. If those are the categories that Maguire is ranking them by, it still doesn't work.

momentai is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 12:55 PM
  #19
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Future stars? Joe Thornton already is a star and well on his way to becoming a superstar is his own right. Even Kovy and Heater (before the accident) could be considered stars already as could Vincent.

Hemsky doesn't even have a firm grasp of the English language yet. Let's hold off bfore we coin him the Alex Mogilny of the Czech Republic. If those are the categories that Maguire is ranking them by, it still doesn't work.
See... that is why it is about the future, not about what you have already done. It is about the guys that the league and fans will talk about, and build around.

And you use the term star rather losely there... Vinny? I would think that you would need more than a good season every couple of years to be a star, but hey that is just me.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 05:55 PM
  #20
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,033
vCash: 500
Dawg and Allen are right, this ranking is purely by PR value as a combination of a player's on-ice entertainment level and their ability to represent through the media.

Personally I think that Jarret Stoll is by far the best Oiler I've seen in front of a camera since Mark Messier, but I still wouldn't rank him ahead of Hemsky because his entertainment level won't be very close.

I really have no idea or even care the slightest about most of the guys on that list though, it's kind of a silly topic for an article.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
10-08-2003, 06:25 PM
  #21
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
See... that is why it is about the future, not about what you have already done. It is about the guys that the league and fans will talk about, and build around.

And you use the term star rather losely there... Vinny? I would think that you would need more than a good season every couple of years to be a star, but hey that is just me.
It may be about the future but isn't the future a direct result of what happens in the past? Their past determines what pace they are on in terms of development and glimpses of what their potential could be. If it's about who fans will talk about and build around, I can't see why Joe Thornton is ranked lower than Hemsky at all. He is a guy you definitely build around. It's hard enough finding a skilled center but having one with a mean streak with the size to back it up is even more difficult.

As for Vinny, perhaps. Perhaps not. It's just a matter of definition I suppose. He was a star for them last year and scored nearly a ppg. He's well on his way and I think he'll prove that this season again. I did say COULD of course..

momentai is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.