HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan McDonagh

Old
12-25-2014, 01:23 PM
AHB*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Making MSL C would have been really odd IMO. In that case, having no C would have been preferable.
I agree with this. Rather give McD the C now, if we're just going to stop-gap and give it to him in 2 years anyway. It makes no sense not to.

MSL is still basically a captain of this team. If anyones been in a locker room before, it's not like the C just makes someone the de facto say soer.

I think it's better McD gets it now, then waiting for the inevitable. I also agree with GWOW in regards to the trend around the NHL with top, young, heady players and the fact that MSL dropped a hammer on TBL as captain.

AHB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2015, 01:27 AM
SnowblindNYR

I looked at McD's stats and given his poor start I was shocked how good they were. 14 points in 25 games, prorated to about 46 in points in 82 games and +11. And that's after his poor start.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2015, 01:56 AM
an Girar i

Since his return, 11P in 15GP and +11

We all know how elite he is two-way, especially his defense, but I believe there's even more to come offensively. He was awesome in the NYE game vs FLA, one of the best games I have seen from him

an Girar i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2015, 01:59 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Gs View Post
Since his return, 11P in 15GP and +11

We all know how elite he is two-way, especially his defense, but I believe there's even more to come offensively. He was awesome in the NYE game vs FLA, one of the best games I have seen from him
I wonder if he'll always be streaky though, because he was like that last year too. I guess a D-man like McD who is more of a well rounded D-man rather than an offensive dynamo you'll see streaks like that.

Old
01-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Steve Kournianos
@thedraftanalyst

McDonagh is playing like he did at his peak last year.

The next month will be a big test. Lots of firepower to contend with. His stats may take a dip at ES.

Steve Kournianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2015, 10:05 PM
JesseAtATB
HFB Partner

I thought he would be doing a little better, even with the injury. Now that he's back and getting on a roll, I guess we'll see.

It could be a blessing later down the line either way, especially since that saved him a bunch of minutes.

JesseAtATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2015, 01:09 AM
Ragnarok14

I don't know, but I really think he is playing hurt. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if he has shoulder surgery in the offseason. He just doesn't look like the McD we know and love.

Ragnarok14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2015, 10:42 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok14 View Post
I don't know, but I really think he is playing hurt. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if he has shoulder surgery in the offseason. He just doesn't look like the McD we know and love.
He did in the third period of last game. I'm hoping he's about to turn the corner - especially with the break coming up this week to give him some extra rest.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2015, 10:47 PM
Ragnarok14

Bumping this discussion. I'm actually getting concerned that McDonagh is nursing an injury. Actually, maybe that would be better than the possibility that he has regressed this far, or the C is weighing heavy. His play has been that of a bottom pairing D, outside of a few games.
Is it feasible that his shoulder needs surgery, but with the way we were playing for that stretch, that the collective powers that be gambled on putting that off and hoping that at <100% he would still be able to get it done?
Or, scary thought, has he been permanently damaged by the injuries to his shoulder?
I guess I could pontificate endlessly on what the problem may be, but I think it's pretty clear at this point that something is indeed amiss with the Captain.
He has no explosiveness, hasn't thrown a check all year, and has been uncharacteristically out of position and making bad decisions.
Discuss

Old
01-20-2015, 10:54 PM
mrhockey193195

I've missed the last four or five games, on vacation in India. Before I left, it seemed like Mac was getting back to his old self. He had several weeks of really solid play...not quite the Mac from last year or from 2012, but getting close. I'm guessing he's struggled a lot the last five games or so?

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2015, 10:55 PM
Bulls9220

guys have bad stretches, and were 16 of 19 while hes having his. He'll get it together, he always does.

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2015, 11:11 PM
Ragnarok14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls9220 View Post
guys have bad stretches, and were 16 of 19 while hes having his. He'll get it together, he always does.
I don't know man, I don't ever remember him needing to "get it together " though. He has never really had a bad stretch of games he needed to rebound from. It's not a bad stretch IMO , he doesn't look right at all. He seems very mature and focused, so I don't personally think his problem is mental.

Old
01-20-2015, 11:14 PM
Ragnarok14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I've missed the last four or five games, on vacation in India. Before I left, it seemed like Mac was getting back to his old self. He had several weeks of really solid play...not quite the Mac from last year or from 2012, but getting close. I'm guessing he's struggled a lot the last five games or so?
He has been awful. Not picking up his man, not playing the body, making bad pinches and fumbling the puck. Now, by awful, I mean by his standards. Not like Hal Gill awful
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if right after the season he goes for surgery. Remember when he got hurt this season, we were all relieved and a little shocked he didn't need surgery? Well ...

Old
01-20-2015, 11:16 PM
Raspewtin
Free Kat Dennings

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls9220 View Post
McDonagh has been hot garbage all season outside of like 12 games.

"It's going to be a zoo no matter what, Staalmania, Staals everywhre, omg Staal on Staal action, three brothers hockeying! Staal returning to Carolina omg what news! All the feels he is feel..." - Ail on Eric Staal's return to Carolina.
Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2015, 11:21 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
He has been awful. Not picking up his man, not playing the body, making bad pinches and fumbling the puck. Now, by awful, I mean by his standards. Not like Hal Gill awful
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if right after the season he goes for surgery. Remember when he got hurt this season, we were all relieved and a little shocked he didn't need surgery? Well ...
But his best games have come after the injury.

Old
01-20-2015, 11:22 PM
Carnival Barker

Much like Nash last year with his concussion issues, McDonagh looks hesistant to consistently engage physically. Two fairly major shoulder injuries in such a short period of time can have a big mental effect on a player, a la Nash's two concussions. We may not see the real McDonagh until next season, although there's still plenty of time left this year.

Carnival Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2015, 11:26 PM
Ragnarok14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
But his best games have come after the injury.
That's still not saying much. He's so talented and smart that even at like 70% he is a good player. I just feel like he's playing hurt still. Even if it's not a surgery kind of thing, he clearly is laboring out there.

Old
01-20-2015, 11:26 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Much like Nash last year with his concussion issues, McDonagh looks hesistant to consistently engage physically. Two fairly major shoulder injuries in such a short period of time can have a big mental effect on a player, a la Nash's two concussions. We may not see the real McDonagh until next season, although there's still plenty of time left this year.
Let's hope the all star break helps him out a bit.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2015, 11:28 PM
Ragnarok14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Yeah, and that's very concerning. Can we win a cup with him gimping it up? Last year was the exact opposite. Nash was Trash, and McD was McGod. If this year we have killer Nash and a hurt/nervous McDonagh, I don't think we can compete for the cup. We need our best players to be our best players.

Old
01-23-2015, 06:02 PM
The Torts Identity

Quote:
Yeah, and that's very concerning. Can we win a cup with him gimping it up? Last year was the exact opposite. Nash was Trash, and McD was McGod. If this year we have killer Nash and a hurt/nervous McDonagh, I don't think we can compete for the cup. We need our best players to be our best players.
The good thing is McD was garbage in the first 7-10 games of last year's playoffs after that shoulder injury then just turned it on...as more time goes on he'll get back to his level of play.

The Torts Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 10:42 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Of all the concerns I have with this team, McDonagh is pretty far down on my list.

01-23-2015, 11:49 PM
Machinehead
Our Bayley is better

vCash: 50
On the brightside, if we're this good with McDonagh playing well below his level, imagine when he's on his game.

01-24-2015, 02:32 AM
Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
He's getting there.
yeah, hopefully in playoffs.
'sigh, yeah, lets hope so..
Maybe he still have minor injury in his shoulder?

Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2015, 05:12 AM
Problematique

This season needs more of Mcdonagh's smug goal scoring face.

Problematique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2015, 06:48 AM
charliemurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori View Post
yeah, hopefully in playoffs.
'sigh, yeah, lets hope so..
Maybe he still have minor injury in his shoulder?
No doubt this break is needed.

charliemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote