HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sit Him Out!

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2003, 09:25 AM
HotToddy

vCash: 500
Sit Him Out!

Its become obvious that the problem in the Comrie situation is that MC is pretty ticked about the way Lowe critisized him and others after the playoff loss last year. To be honest I don't blame him, K-LO goes and trades the teams best D-man and their power-play sniper at the deadline and then after the team fights hard to make the playoffs they get a date with the Dallas Stars. What did he expect? We've lost 5 playoff series to the Stars, they're suffocating defence and Mike Modano have owned this team. I don't beleive any Oiler "took a night off" during that series and to expect the Oil to do better than 6 games and out is unrealistic. I also think Comrie was unfairly critisized whe nhe came back from a broken wrist (still injures) and played poorly.

..........Having said all that I firmly believe that K-Lowe and the Oiler ownership should refuse to move Mike. Doing so would send the message that the Oilers truly are a development team for richer franchises. Since there is going to be a 1-2 year lockout I would explain to MC and Winter that the choice is clear. Sign with the OIl and we'll mend the fences or sit out the whole year and risk not playing hockey for sometime. In fact I would go so far as to explain that Mike will never be moved no matter how intense the media and fan pressure becomes. Yes it will hurt the team but it will also send a message to other players that when you are drafted by this team you are here until free agency. I hope Ottawa and Minny take the same stance with Gaborik and Havlat. Trading Restricted free agents who want more money is a short-term solution for small market teams that creates a long term problem.

Time to draw a line in the sand

Old
10-08-2003, 09:31 AM
o98

Send a message via MSN to o98
The Sens have just announced their own hardline stance with Havlat
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=56489
Quote:
General manager John Muckler told reporters on Wednesday that if Havlat isn't under contract by 7:30 pm Thursday, he will not play for the Senators this season.

Old
10-08-2003, 09:34 AM
Obsessed

Nice post. I agree completely. KLo should take after Muckler and the Havlat situation. Give him a deadline and if he doesn't pony up then call block his ass and let him sit till the "dont pay a cent event" is over in 2005. Go splurge you savings on a UFA such as Berard or Oates.

Old
10-08-2003, 09:38 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy
Its become obvious that the problem in the Comrie situation is that MC is pretty ticked about the way Lowe critisized him and others after the playoff loss last year. To be honest I don't blame him, K-LO goes and trades the teams best D-man and their power-play sniper at the deadline and then after the team fights hard to make the playoffs they get a date with the Dallas Stars. What did he expect? We've lost 5 playoff series to the Stars, they're suffocating defence and Mike Modano have owned this team. I don't beleive any Oiler "took a night off" during that series and to expect the Oil to do better than 6 games and out is unrealistic. I also think Comrie was unfairly critisized whe nhe came back from a broken wrist (still injures) and played poorly.

..........Having said all that I firmly believe that K-Lowe and the Oiler ownership should refuse to move Mike. Doing so would send the message that the Oilers truly are a development team for richer franchises. Since there is going to be a 1-2 year lockout I would explain to MC and Winter that the choice is clear. Sign with the OIl and we'll mend the fences or sit out the whole year and risk not playing hockey for sometime. In fact I would go so far as to explain that Mike will never be moved no matter how intense the media and fan pressure becomes. Yes it will hurt the team but it will also send a message to other players that when you are drafted by this team you are here until free agency. I hope Ottawa and Minny take the same stance with Gaborik and Havlat. Trading Restricted free agents who want more money is a short-term solution for small market teams that creates a long term problem.

Time to draw a line in the sand
You have to realize that Lowe traded the players mentioned for the good of the organization. Comrie's poor showing in the playoffs have nothing to do those trades. Salo, Smyth and others were critisized and came back with more fire. I can't believe you're defending Comrie on this. The non-financial issues that need to be resolved are the fact that Comrie is still not happy with the way he was treated.

I wan't them to keep him but if all this is true that the only thing holding up a contract agreement is Comrie wanting an apology for Lowe and having a clause saying he won't be critisized, then forget it. Build the franchise around Hemsky or some other player that requires less maintenance. Lowe already has to deal with the restrictions of operating financially in a small market. He doesn't need the other crap.

Old
10-08-2003, 09:48 AM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
You have to realize that Lowe traded the players mentioned for the good of the organization. Comrie's poor showing in the playoffs have nothing to do those trades. Salo, Smyth and others were critisized and came back with more fire. I can't believe you're defending Comrie on this. The non-financial issues that need to be resolved are the fact that Comrie is still not happy with the way he was treated.

I wan't them to keep him but if all this is true that the only thing holding up a contract agreement is Comrie wanting an apology for Lowe and having a clause saying he won't be critisized, then forget it. Build the franchise around Hemsky or some other player that requires less maintenance. Lowe already has to deal with the restrictions of operating financially in a small market. He doesn't need the other crap.
I'm sorry but Comrie has a right to be peeved at being publicly chastized by K-Lowe. Why does K-Lowe need to vent himself in public? What good does it do? Would it be right if Mike Comrie in the summer told a reporter "Gee K-Lowe really undermined our team by trading two of our best players and I really think he should of waited to the draft where he would have gotten more value and gave us a better chance in the playoffs this year"

That statement would have been pretty acurate yet I guarantee you the Oiler management would have been fuming. K-Lowe needs to bottle up his intensity and keep his big mouth shut.

Old
10-08-2003, 09:50 AM
goldenchild

All along i have felt that the both parties are in the right. Comrie is in the right to wait for a deal he feels comfortable with and K-Lo has the right to wait for a deal that makes sense for the organization. Untill now I had hoped that a deal would be eventually reached.

The thing I have a problem with is this business about Comrie having his feelings hurt by Lowe's comments. Now I don't bemone any pro athlete for making the money they do, I don't buy into the "Nobody is worth X dollars to play a game" they generate a ton of money and there are few people that can play at that level. But as a professional you have to be accountable just like any professional and in a highly public position like pro athlete you have to have some thick skin. Comrie wasn't the only one that was called out but he is the only one that seems to feel he is above that. I love the NFL and there are a lot of coaches like Parcells that call guys out on a weekly basis. If this is the hold up and the reason that Comrie doesn't wanna be back then good ridence my only hope is that Lowe make the deal quickly so we can move on.

Old
10-08-2003, 09:58 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
I'm sorry but Comrie has a right to be peeved at being publicly chastized by K-Lowe. Why does K-Lowe need to vent himself in public? What good does it do? Would it be right if Mike Comrie in the summer told a reporter "Gee K-Lowe really undermined our team by trading two of our best players and I really think he should of waited to the draft where he would have gotten more value and gave us a better chance in the playoffs this year"

That statement would have been pretty acurate yet I guarantee you the Oiler management would have been fuming. K-Lowe needs to bottle up his intensity and keep his big mouth shut.
Atheletes get criticized all the time. They make enough money that they should be able to take it. Look, Comrie made $3.5M in bonuses. I totally agree that he earned these bonuses and worked hard get them, battled through injury etc. But the fact is, he disappeared in the playoffs. That's what probably pissed Lowe off. Remember, players aren't paid in the playoffs. Also, he wasn't singled out by Lowe. He was part of a group. Smyth could have done the same when he re-negotiated his deal. Salo could have requested a trade. Comrie has probably never been critisized in his whole career. Now he gets criticized and he can't take it, pure and simple.

Hey this subject has been beaten to death.

I do agree 100% with you that I hope K-lo, Muckler and Risebrough stick to their guns. Actually I am kinda surprised about Muckler's very rigid stance (previous post).

Old
10-08-2003, 10:04 AM
Digger12

Quote:

Do you have a link to what Lowe supposedly said? From my memory, Lowe's comments were rather tame compared to what someone like Burke or Quinn would've done in his place, nor was Comrie the only Oiler player singled out...yet he is the only one reportedly with his nose out of joint about it. If this is truly the case, time for him to grow a set.

IMO, this impasse has a LOT more to do with Comrie not wanting to live in a fishbowl anymore than anything about being publicly criticized.

Sitting him out for the whole year will not solve anything, because he just doesn't seem to want to be here anymore. He can say this or that, but his actions and demeanour say more.

At the beginning of camp, some of the players (Smyth for one) were talking about how it would be good to get Comrie back into the fold...they're not talking anymore.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:31 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
It could be more than just what Lowe said.

It could also have a lot to do with what the fans and media were saying about him as well.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:31 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
It could be more than just what Lowe said.

It could also have a lot to do with what the fans and media were saying about him as well.
I wonder if he's reading these boards as we speak.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:45 AM
jadeddog

Quote:

in all sports, everywhere in the world, this happens on a daily basis (management publicly criticizing their players).... its just that some people are men and some people are little boys..... i guess we know what comrie is now

Old
10-08-2003, 10:48 AM
jofa

What's the problem with Lowe being publicly critical of his players? It happens in every sport and in every city. Comrie wasn't even completely singled out for his lack of game in the playoffs. If I remember correctly, they were aiming their criticism at all of their star players who needed to step up, but didn't.

Look at what was said by the Sens about Spezza, about how he was still a boy and a boy can't play in a man's game. Spezza didn't like it, sure, but he went down and worked harder and improved his game, and I'm sure he'll be a better player as a result.

Lowe's comments were likely intended to light a fire under Comrie in order to get him motivated to take his game to the next level, and apparently they've backfired. But if he can't take simple criticism like that, if that is in fact the reason why he wants out, then I'm not sure if that's the type of attitude we need on this team. The Oil are all about getting more out of less, about winning games because they want it more. Maybe he would be happier playing for a city that doesn't care as much about hockey or that wants to win as much as Edmonton does. Then he can get his paycheque and be anonymous on the street, and life will be perfect.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:00 AM
copperandblue

Comrie has the swagger of a star, gets paid like a star and has the potential of a star.

Most stars take critsism as a challenge and feed off of it. Many GM's use this tactic as a motivator to great success.

If Comrie can't use the critisism to make himself better than he isn't the star material everyone thinks he is.

It all comes with the territory and he gets paid well for it.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:05 AM
Big T

Pavel?

It does seem that Comrie is uneasy with playing in his hometown. He feels he can't go anywhere without being recognized and/or hounded. Does thie remind you of anyone. "I want to go somewhere that I'm not noticed" Boo Hoo.

Players make lots of money b/c they are very good at what they do, but also b/c they can be moved to another team at any time, and they have to deal with public pressure. I like Comrie and wish it didn't have to be this way but I'm not sure we want someone with such thin skin in the dressing room.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:20 AM
HotToddy

I don't agree that publicly dressing down athletes in sports is either common or effective. Management, Coaches, Players, Owners, whomever when critical of a team usually address the team as a whole. They rarely ever point at one player and say, he was terrible. Some exceptions are Bobby Clarke, George Steinbrenner but does the Oiler management want to be in the same breath as these two?

As for effectiveness I have one simple question. If you are an employee or an employer what is a better way of communicating your desire for improvement. Announcing in the coffee room,in front of everyone, that so and so needs to be more productive or taking that person in your office and telling them privately that you expect more.

Never mind how much they make or that the should have thick skin, the point is criticism should be handled internally. Telling everyone in town how dissapointed he was in York, Smyth, Salo and Comrie was a BAD move on Lowe's part as was bad mouthing Carter after he traded him. If he keeps this up we'll have no players who are happy to be drafted or traded to this organization.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
As for effectiveness I have one simple question. If you are an employee or an employer what is a better way of communicating your desire for improvement. Announcing in the coffee room,in front of everyone, that so and so needs to be more productive or taking that person in your office and telling them privately that you expect more.
I didn't make $3.5M last year. Don't even start comparing us average workers to a professional hockey player. Two different things completely. I don't work in the public eye also. I have to be accountable for what I do but not in front of an audience who helps pay my salary. If Comrie sucks and Lowe does nothing and acts like he doesn't give a crap, he the one in the end who's accountable for this team winning or losing and will will take the heat.

Hey, it's a matter of opinion I guess.

Old
10-08-2003, 12:12 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
I don't agree that publicly dressing down athletes in sports is either common or effective. Management, Coaches, Players, Owners, whomever when critical of a team usually address the team as a whole. They rarely ever point at one player and say, he was terrible. Some exceptions are Bobby Clarke, George Steinbrenner but does the Oiler management want to be in the same breath as these two?

Never mind how much they make or that the should have thick skin, the point is criticism should be handled internally. Telling everyone in town how dissapointed he was in York, Smyth, Salo and Comrie was a BAD move on Lowe's part as was bad mouthing Carter after he traded him. If he keeps this up we'll have no players who are happy to be drafted or traded to this organization.

dont EVER compare regular people with professional sports athletes.... i *work* for my money, not play a game for it.... and my boss is prolly a lot harder on me than most coaches are to the cry-baby professional athletes out there..... NEVER make that comparison again please

Old
10-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Slats432

I agree with the "Don't compare me to the millionaire hockey player." sentiment.

As for the original post, if you would rather have Comrie rot to prove a point rather than have a number 3 blueliner or another scoring forward I think that is poor judgement on your part.

This is a business. You have an asset and you maximize the asset. If Comrie can be moved for good value...then I say sooner the better.

Old
10-08-2003, 12:37 PM
PigeonCamera

I couldn't disagree more!

Quote:

Its called accountability. It happens all the time in sport, and "grown-up" players uses it as motivation. Slats used to do it all the time with *many* of the great Oilers, let alone cocky future stars.

I can sympathize with the idea of having to live in a fishbowl. It would suck, and while I don't agree with his stance, I can at least respect that. But if this is all about Comrie being upset over being held accountable publicly, it literally makes me sick. Grow the hell up! If Comrie doesn't want to be in the spotlight, he sure made a poor career choice. And he sure as heck doesn't mind when the public and the media are fawning over him!

Just pathetic. The perception is: the first time he doesn't get his way, he takes his ball and goes home. I sure hope its not true.

:mad:

Old
10-08-2003, 03:41 PM
heavyhauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_85
Its called accountability. It happens all the time in sport, and "grown-up" players uses it as motivation. Slats used to do it all the time with *many* of the great Oilers, let alone cocky future stars.

I can sympathize with the idea of having to live in a fishbowl. It would suck, and while I don't agree with his stance, I can at least respect that. But if this is all about Comrie being upset over being held accountable publicly, it literally makes me sick. Grow the hell up! If Comrie doesn't want to be in the spotlight, he sure made a poor career choice. And he sure as heck doesn't mind when the public and the media are fawning over him!

Just pathetic. The perception is: the first time he doesn't get his way, he takes his ball and goes home. I sure hope its not true.

:mad:
I hope they let him sit out and think about it for a year, Lowe holds the cards now and i hope he plays hard ball.
Maybe by the time comrie is back in the nhl he may have growen up a little and fired his agent.

Old
10-09-2003, 07:26 AM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I agree with the "Don't compare me to the millionaire hockey player." sentiment.

As for the original post, if you would rather have Comrie rot to prove a point rather than have a number 3 blueliner or another scoring forward I think that is poor judgement on your part.

This is a business. You have an asset and you maximize the asset. If Comrie can be moved for good value...then I say sooner the better.

Yeah like me maximized our return on Marchant! By sitting Comrie out you hurt the team short term but you decrease the odds of this ever happening again. Besides if Comrie say he won't play here how good is K-Lowes trade leverage? Not Very.

Old
10-09-2003, 07:42 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Yeah like me maximized our return on Marchant! By sitting Comrie out you hurt the team short term but you decrease the odds of this ever happening again. Besides if Comrie say he won't play here how good is K-Lowes trade leverage? Not Very.
The situations have some differences you would have to agree. I was in the trade Todd at the deadline camp because I knew he was gone. I thought it was ridiculous that Lowe didn't qualify him. But Lowe wasn't not qualifying him to prove a point. Lowe didn't hang on to him to prove a point.

Lowe decided they needed him to make the playoffs. They needed him if they were to attempt another first round upset.

The distraction of not having the Comrie situation from a player's standpoint is a negative. Wouldn't you want to eliminate that negative?

The other part and let's just throw out a name for the sake of argument. And you have one of these two choices.

Mike Comrie learning a lesson.

or

Jiri Fischer as your number 4 guy pushing Ferguson to the press box.

Let's not let our emotion do our talking for us. Sure the situation sucks and we would all love a Comrie-Smyth-Hemsky line for a full season.

As far as leverage. Mike Comrie sits as long as Kevin Lowe says so. Kevin Lowe has good forwards that he sent to the minors so he has the depth to live without Mike for a while. As the team plays well, the Oiler's leverage moves up. If the team falters, Mike's goes up. But I think Lowe would accept that fact and not trade Mike until the value is there. And to me...that is all that matters.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Sit him out?

We do not have the roster to sit out our top centre. Muckler can play hardball with Havlat because he has Hossas, Alfredssons, Bonks, Spezzas, etc. Our top 2 centres are injured wingers. I don't think we have a skilled enough team to make a statement like this. KLO, sign him or trade him soon. The way I see it, M.Comrie, J.Rita, J.Smith, F.Pisani can all be trade bait and with maybe a 2nd rounder should warrant enough in return to get us a decent centre and a top 4 D-man.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:28 AM
dem

:p

Old
10-09-2003, 09:23 AM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
The situations have some differences you would have to agree. I was in the trade Todd at the deadline camp because I knew he was gone. I thought it was ridiculous that Lowe didn't qualify him. But Lowe wasn't not qualifying him to prove a point. Lowe didn't hang on to him to prove a point.

Lowe decided they needed him to make the playoffs. They needed him if they were to attempt another first round upset.

The distraction of not having the Comrie situation from a player's standpoint is a negative. Wouldn't you want to eliminate that negative?

The other part and let's just throw out a name for the sake of argument. And you have one of these two choices.

Mike Comrie learning a lesson.

or

Jiri Fischer as your number 4 guy pushing Ferguson to the press box.

Let's not let our emotion do our talking for us. Sure the situation sucks and we would all love a Comrie-Smyth-Hemsky line for a full season.

As far as leverage. Mike Comrie sits as long as Kevin Lowe says so. Kevin Lowe has good forwards that he sent to the minors so he has the depth to live without Mike for a while. As the team plays well, the Oiler's leverage moves up. If the team falters, Mike's goes up. But I think Lowe would accept that fact and not trade Mike until the value is there. And to me...that is all that matters.
I still don't agree. If you trade MC all you are doing is rewarding bad behaviour. What's to stop Hemsky or Chimera or Resaoner to think next contract time "HMM if I hold out during Training camp I can go to a an American Team/Contender and make more money". Yes Jiri Fischer would be nice but sending a message to all current and future Oilers that they're rights are ours for 10 seasons is much more critical. I remember when the Oilers moved Guerin to free up money to sign Comrie to a bonus-laden contract that the reasoning was "We pay now, but we get this player for 10 years

Closed Thread