HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leetch

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2005, 12:16 PM
GothamRanger

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Leetch

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=179833

Funny to see a player that good can cause so many "problems". Looks like the B's have the same problems we did when Leetch was here.

Old
10-09-2005, 12:33 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Yep, definitely the kind of guy you want to keep the kids away from.

Old
10-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Fletch

So for one year...

do you spend $4 million on Leetch, or $4.86 million on Poti and Malik? Considering that the Rangers appear that they may not need both Poti and Malik, and need help on the point of the PP...eh, it's early, this could all change anyways, but it's still an interesting thought to me.

Old
10-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Fletch

That was actually the first time..

it was brought up. I've said Malik vs. Leetch in the past, but considering many believe the team doesn't need Poti, and he was benched last night and so many feel the defense looked better without him, it's now two for one, since only one is needed. It's a different comparison. Yeah, semantics...

Old
10-09-2005, 01:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
do you spend $4 million on Leetch, or $4.86 million on Poti and Malik? Considering that the Rangers appear that they may not need both Poti and Malik, and need help on the point of the PP...eh, it's early, this could all change anyways, but it's still an interesting thought to me.
How about for this year spending over 8M for Poti, Malik and Kasparaitis?

Old
10-09-2005, 01:16 PM
GothamRanger

Having Poti making as much as he does and scratching him is gonna cause serious problems for the team down the line when it comes to resigning free agents on our team thanks to the salary cap. Players will use analogy to demand certain money or walk. You can tell it has already come to be an issue with the Lightning and Thrashers. If Poti continues this pace, it is imperative that he gets moved at all costs, if anything for the sanity of the other players in the locker room.

Old
10-09-2005, 01:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
Having Poti making as much as he does and scratching him is gonna cause serious problems for the team down the line when it comes to resigning free agents on our team thanks to the salary cap. Players will use analogy to demand certain money or walk. You can tell it has already come to be an issue with the Lightning and Thrashers. If Poti continues this pace, it is imperative that he gets moved at all costs, if anything for the sanity of the other players in the locker room.
Agreed. It's not just his underachieving, its the fact that he does not fit in with what this team is supposed to be: hard working, gritty and hard to play against.

But trading him is not going to eay. He's a greatly flawed player who is making a pretty hefty salary in a salary cap NHL.

Old
10-09-2005, 02:28 PM
GothamRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
But trading him is not going to eay. He's a greatly flawed player who is making a pretty hefty salary in a salary cap NHL.
One man's trash ...

Old
10-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
One man's trash ...
Yeah but he's our trash. You have to cover his back with a defensive partner as if he was an offensive defensemen because he goes out of his way to hit people. He's ok in his own zone but nothing spectacular and not worth his salary. Unless the Rangers get Cory Cross back Kaspar will be an average player.

Old
10-09-2005, 02:57 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

There are not going to be many trades during the season.As we get closer to the trading deadline,teams will be in position to add players and salary.Poti is making $2.356 million and is on a one year deal which is not hefty

Old
10-09-2005, 03:01 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
What are you talking about? How is scratching Poti going to affect the Rangers?Do you really think the other players care about Poti getting scratched?Sanity?What are you talking about?

Old
10-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
That's way too much ice-time. I'm kind of hoping if Poti flops, Pock gets recalled and takes his place.

Old
10-09-2005, 04:07 PM
GothamRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
What are you talking about? How is scratching Poti going to affect the Rangers?Do you really think the other players care about Poti getting scratched?Sanity?What are you talking about?
Rangerboy -- yes, they do care. This is a team built around character and hardwork. There are about a dozen players scratching and clawing their way to earn a spot on this team @ < 1,000,000. Having a player like Poti which a.) does not show character or hardwork b.) is grossly overpaid c.) is clearly one of "Sather's guys" d.) is one of the only remaining vestages of the last 5 years will do severe damage to the overall progress of the team, whether he is on the ice making ****nut plays or not.

I liked Poti at first when he arrived, I thought he could've been the flagship of our defensive corps., but he has gotten progressively worse as the years have gone on. He clearly is more valuble to other teams than ours... if we can get value back and soon is another issue. Having a player like Pock replace him is not good enough... if he is on the team still dressed in street clothes and collecting a paycheck it will be a problem. Not beleiveing that it is a problem is to ignore all the angst this team has gone through in the last 5 years.

His problems didn't really matter in the past seasons because it got drowned out in the myriad of other problems this team had trying to make the playoffs each year. However with this new start from scratch his very existence on this team will be a major mental distraction. Add that to the fact that the fans hate him, and it doesn't get much better.

So "" yourself!

Old
10-10-2005, 05:45 AM
eco's bones

Not sure what you're getting at Dakose but playing Poti causes problems too and at this point in time finding a buyer might not be as easy as some think. Poti's game is pretty much the same as it has been if you ask me. And if you read some of the commentary by Oiler fans in the leadup to the York trade you'll pretty much get the idea we got exactly what they said we would which is more or less---a defensive nightmare who doesn't like to take the body despite his size-- who is gifted offensively but inconsistent in his production. From a personal standpoint I didn't miss him at all against New Jersey.

Old
10-10-2005, 07:45 AM
eco's bones

In any case to go back to the original argument. No way on earth I would take Poti's performance over Leetch. Whether Leetch should be back though is another question. He was for a long long time my favorite player. At this point I think we've turned that corner and at least with our rhetoric going in the right direction with youth ---->which brings us to Malik. 3 years at 2.5 million is a questionable move. We shall see.

Old
10-10-2005, 07:48 AM
GothamRanger

I never said moving him would be easy. I never said I would rather have him playing than scratched. I was just pointing out that the situation is between a rock and a hardplace. Having him scratched is by no means ideal as opposed to him being on another team.

Closed Thread