HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who's the best goalie at handling the puck in the NHL?

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2003, 09:41 AM
-MrBean-

vCash: 500
I would say Turco slightly edges out Broduer, but only becuase of his overhand style which gives him a bit more power to playing the puck.

If you haven't seen it. He actually overhands his glove hand to give himself better control.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Hold the Pickles

Not Irbe for sure!

What do you have against the amazing skating goalie ?

Maybe this thread should be changed to the 3rd best puck handling goalie.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Snap Wilson

I guess some people don't watch the games. Turco is the best puckhandling goalie the NHL has seen in YEARS. Brodeur is good, but they're not even in the same zip code. Turco is better than Brodeur, better than Kirk McLean was, probably the best since we've seen since Fuhr and Hextall in their primes. And it's a heck of a lot tougher for a goalie to handle the puck now as it was then.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:45 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
You my friend know nothing about hockey or history of hockey.

Of course you have a mountain of data to support your position..... At least M=G is an endearing homer, you're just obnoxious.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
I guess some people don't watch the games. Turco is the best puckhandling goalie the NHL has seen in YEARS. Brodeur is good, but they're not even in the same zip code. Turco is better than Brodeur, better than Kirk McLean was, probably the best since we've seen since Fuhr and Hextall in their primes. And it's a heck of a lot tougher for a goalie to handle the puck now as it was then.
What are you on? I haven't been impressed by Turco's skills but I've only seen him play 1 game against the Devils. He made bad decisions and I believe one of them led to a goal. Gun to my head, back against the wall I'd go with Brodeur

Old
10-08-2003, 11:56 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey
What are you on? I haven't been impressed by Turco's skills but I've only seen him play 1 game against the Devils.
So then, why value your response?

Old
10-08-2003, 12:01 PM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
There is really no way to objectively justify your pick; but everyone knows there are 2 great puckhandling goaltenders in the nhl; I guess I will take Brodeur since he's been doing it longer and has scored a few goals(though those aren't great reasons).

Old
10-08-2003, 12:01 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Brodeur
Turco
Dipietro
-
-
-
-
-
-
Markkanen*

*Homer pick.

Old
10-08-2003, 12:03 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by meehan
I guess I will take Brodeur since he's been doing it longer
This ain't stats, it's an attribute..

It's like saying:

"Sergei Fedorov is faster then Jason Chimera since he's been doing it longer"

Old
10-08-2003, 12:05 PM
Teezax

I say Hextall, he will always be remembered as the best then and even now. Now, i could careless because both Eshce and Hackett are mediocre in opuck handling ability.

But if you really want an answer i'll say Brodeur.

Old
10-08-2003, 12:13 PM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
This ain't stats, it's an attribute..

It's like saying:

"Sergei Fedorov is faster then Jason Chimera since he's been doing it longer"
Well like I said; it isn't a great reason. You have a better one? As far as I can tell both goalies are great at clearing the zone and making the first pass and initiating their respective teams transition games; is there anything else of importance as far as puckhandling for goaltenders? As far as I can see both are the same in puckhandling skills and until they invent some nhl goaltender puckhandling skills competition(don't hold your breath) we can't objectively say one is better than the other. For that reason I said I would take Brodeur as since he has been doing it longer, if both men died today, Brodeur would be more remembered for his puckhandling skills as more people have seen him utilize them. Again, that's not to say he's better than Turco.

Old
10-08-2003, 12:18 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by meehan
Well like I said; it isn't a great reason. You have a better one? As far as I can tell both goalies are great at clearing the zone and making the first pass and initiating their respective teams transition games; is there anything else of importance as far as puckhandling for goaltenders? As far as I can see both are the same in puckhandling skills and until they invent some nhl goaltender puckhandling skills competition(don't hold your breath) we can't objectively say one is better than the other. For that reason I said I would take Brodeur as since he has been doing it longer, if both men died today, Brodeur would be more remembered for his puckhandling skills as more people have seen him utilize them. Again, that's not to say he's better than Turco.
Point taking, and agreed on. Thanks for clearing that up..

Old
10-08-2003, 12:20 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
I say Hextall, he will always be remembered as the best then and even now. Now, i could careless because both Eshce and Hackett are mediocre in opuck handling ability.

But if you really want an answer i'll say Brodeur.
Not in my eyes. Brodeur was the clear cut best up until Turco showed up and then Dipietro.

Old
10-08-2003, 12:21 PM
Brock

While I'm not saying that Dipietro is the best yet, I think he deserves more credit than he is getting right now in this thread.

While he does tend to get to aggresive at times, thats a mental thing. His skills are absolutely amazing for a goaltender.

I remember in one of the games he played against the Leafs last year he completely altered the way we had to attack the offensive zone because with each dump in, he beat our players to the puck and got it out. It was quite amazing.

Old
10-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
While I'm not saying that Dipietro is the best yet, I think he deserves more credit than he is getting right now in this thread.

While he does tend to get to aggresive at times, thats a mental thing. His skills are absolutely amazing for a goaltender.

I remember in one of the games he played against the Leafs last year he completely altered the way we had to attack the offensive zone because with each dump in, he beat our players to the puck and got it out. It was quite amazing.
I've seen Ricky make dumps on the PK to a breaking player by the red-line for possible breakaways. Even last Saturday night, on the PP, Rick decided to get the puck from behind the net and waited for a defenseman. He saw a NJ Devil coming at him and stickhandled around the player and to the front of the net for an outlet pass. He is truly amazing at what he does, and if he can control himselfon certain situations on handling the puck, he could be one of the very best at his craft.

-TL

Closed Thread