HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valiquette an Oiler once again

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2003, 08:57 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Valiquette an Oiler once again

Fresh from my email updates:

The Edmonton Oilers have goaltender Steve Valiquette back in the fold just five days after the Florida Panthers claimed the 26-year-old net minder during last week’s waiver draft.

Valiquette, signed as a free agent this summer by the Oilers, was placed on waivers by Florida, and was subsequently reclaimed by Edmonton. He is now deemed to have cleared waivers, and has been assigned to the Toronto Roadrunners of the American Hockey League. The Roadrunners are on their way to Milwaukee for their first-ever AHL game, and it is expected Valiquette will be in the line-up for the Friday season opener.

Good sign, the Oilers need a reliable #3.

Old
10-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone

The Edmonton Oilers have goaltender Steve Valiquette back in the fold just five days after the Florida Panthers claimed the 26-year-old net minder during last week’s waiver draft.

Valiquette, signed as a free agent this summer by the Oilers, was placed on waivers by Florida, and was subsequently reclaimed by Edmonton. He is now deemed to have cleared waivers, and has been assigned to the Toronto Roadrunners of the American Hockey League. The Roadrunners are on their way to Milwaukee for their first-ever AHL game, and it is expected Valiquette will be in the line-up for the Friday season opener.

Good news as our depth in goal is non-existent and this kid may actually have some potential. A nice addition to Toronto.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:44 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone

...and thus ends one of the weirdest waiver draft stories the Oilers have ever been a part of.

For anyone who thinks the life of a professional hockey player is all glamour and rink rats, I imagine Mr. Valiquette would disagree. He must feel like a tether ball right now.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Big T

Oh Yeah!!

Glad to have this big guy back available for the Oil. I'm not sure Lowe planned it this way (in fact I'd be really surprised if it even occurred to him) but he sure came out smelling like a rose. He's got his goalie and an extra $42,000.00 (I think) for his troubles. Put that money to good use Kev. How about a round of beers at tomorrows opening night game.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:28 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
Glad to have this big guy back available for the Oil. I'm not sure Lowe planned it this way (in fact I'd be really surprised if it even occurred to him) but he sure came out smelling like a rose. He's got his goalie and an extra $42,000.00 (I think) for his troubles. Put that money to good use Kev. How about a round of beers at tomorrows opening night game.
I just think he was shocked someone picked him at all. He knew the only way he could lose him is if someone thought he was good enough to be their NHL backup... and I don't see how an AHL backup will jump to be an NHL backup, especially when he isn't even in your camp.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:33 AM
jofa

Definitely good for him to be back in the fold, and he should play a big role on the Roadrunners. Considering the Oilers' depth in net, it's possible that we may need to look to our third goalie in line sometime during the season, so its nice to have Valiquette there as insurance.

Plus, the guy is still only 26, has good size (6'5, 205lbs) and has been good in the AHL. He may still have a career in the NHL ahead of him, so it will be interesting to watch his progress in Toronto.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:34 AM
barto

And from what I understand, Valiquette gets $5K U.S. from each team, so he's won a nice little bonus. On the other hand, for however-many hours, he was looking at being an NHL (backup) goaltender, and now he's back to being an AHL goalie. I'm sure he'd rather have stuck with the Panthers & been in 'the show', but this is fine from the Oilers' standpoint for sure.

Bart

Old
10-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Boondock Saint

I'm really pleased that we managed to get this guy back. Could you imagine if we didn't and *knock on wood* Salo went down?? That would leave us with *gulp* Conklin and either Morrison or Antilla as our starters..... Shtalenkov and Essensa anyone??? Great insurance policy, and will hopefully help us down on the farm as well.

Old
10-08-2003, 02:01 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
And from what I understand, Valiquette gets $5K U.S. from each team, so he's won a nice little bonus. On the other hand, for however-many hours, he was looking at being an NHL (backup) goaltender, and now he's back to being an AHL goalie. I'm sure he'd rather have stuck with the Panthers & been in 'the show', but this is fine from the Oilers' standpoint for sure.

Bart
Valiquette probably wouldn't of been in the show because Floirda acquired Steve Shields from Boston a day or so after the waiver draft

Closed Thread