HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

EHM 07 - Part 11: "Wants a new challenge"

Old
02-27-2015, 12:17 PM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

vCash: 500
I just had this massive mind-blowing thought in my mind. When we see player ratings, are those always accurate? Or are those numbers based on what scouts saw? So if our scouts or asst. GM's stats aren't amazing, will that skew what we see as player ratings?

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunthepeg View Post
I just had this massive mind-blowing thought in my mind. When we see player ratings, are those always accurate? Or are those numbers based on what scouts saw? So if our scouts or asst. GM's stats aren't amazing, will that skew what we see as player ratings?
No, I don't think so. Not for the numbers themselves. Because they correspond with the editors, right?

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2015, 02:28 PM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
No, I don't think so. Not for the numbers themselves. Because they correspond with the editors, right?
I was thinking per-game ratings, not the attributes. Still that's another interesting one. Would be kind of cool if it worked like that for difficulty's sake. If your scouts/coaches/asst wasn't good enough, your perception of their skill might be altered.

Old
02-27-2015, 02:39 PM
archibalduk
EHM The Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by duari91 View Post
Does anyone still play in EHM 2005 or 2007 online leagues?
There's the DMHNL League for EHM 2005. It will have been running for 10 years this August: http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums...orum.php?f=103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savi View Post
Game keeps crashing. Same date everytime, May 11th 2020.
Tried to pass it by going on holiday mode, but crashed as well.
Always applied CSD patch during the first season. Didn't change anything after that.
Or maybe just 1 thing, when I left Dallas I set NHL on 'quick sim' within 'Detail Level'. Don't know if that has anything to do with it..
That far into the game, it sounds like it's an issue with the game.

archibalduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2015, 08:16 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibalduk View Post
That far into the game, it sounds like it's an issue with the game.
something happened in this saved game. You can play easilly the game for 200 or even more (ok, i dindt tested 300) seasons. The saved file is then pretty big, much about 1 GB, but fot this day computers its a no issue.
I had such crashes in my 200 season game too. But luckily, i did regularly backups. More than 1 file.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2015, 02:08 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

I want to do a ehm07 story.. my favorite west team is wild but favorite east team is sabres... donno which one to do..

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2015, 07:48 AM
Ambisextrous

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonOHL View Post
I want to do a ehm07 story.. my favorite west team is wild but favorite east team is sabres... donno which one to do..
Usually when I'm torn on what team to do that with I'll do the sim two or three years and choose the worse off team and build them up.

My original DB file crashed, running with the new TBL one. Did the sim three years, Buffalo is by far still the worst so going to work to build them up. They took Matt Blackwood first overall over Mcdavid and Eichel, and traded Zadorov and Reinhart for ufas that they didnt resign but caused them to finish 10th overall in the draft, where they drafted a tiny defenseman with awful mental stays. Just joined them midway through the next season so I can get some scouting going, traded off some of their prospects for picks and running half the team with waiver wire pickups I'll drop in the offseason. This may be one of worst teams I've tried to rebuild, so its been fun so far.

Anyone know about appealing suspensions? Seems like its ultimately random, but I appeal almost every one of them (usually only 1 or 2 game ones), and get maybe half of them overthrown. The last few I've tried have been upheld, so wondering if appealing all of them isnt a good strategy.

Ambisextrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2015, 09:19 AM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambisextrous View Post
Usually when I'm torn on what team to do that with I'll do the sim two or three years and choose the worse off team and build them up.

My original DB file crashed, running with the new TBL one. Did the sim three years, Buffalo is by far still the worst so going to work to build them up. They took Matt Blackwood first overall over Mcdavid and Eichel, and traded Zadorov and Reinhart for ufas that they didnt resign but caused them to finish 10th overall in the draft, where they drafted a tiny defenseman with awful mental stays. Just joined them midway through the next season so I can get some scouting going, traded off some of their prospects for picks and running half the team with waiver wire pickups I'll drop in the offseason. This may be one of worst teams I've tried to rebuild, so its been fun so far.

Anyone know about appealing suspensions? Seems like its ultimately random, but I appeal almost every one of them (usually only 1 or 2 game ones), and get maybe half of them overthrown. The last few I've tried have been upheld, so wondering if appealing all of them isnt a good strategy.
I find the better the player's rep, the more likely they will revoke. I'm not 100% sure how it works though. It seems pretty random sometimes.

Old
03-05-2015, 10:21 AM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

That's my impression as well. Except I thought it was more on the lines of GM rep. But yes, seems virtually random.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Wow, I've never, ever had one revoked. I appeal every time too.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2015, 12:11 PM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Wow, I've never, ever had one revoked. I appeal every time too.
Really? If for whatever reason one of my top-6 gets ejected, I usually will appeal and get it revoked. I also find that if it's a 4th line guy, I don't try appeal and then the next time it's a guy I need back, he will be more likely revoked.

It's interesting that our computers seem to make a difference with some of the mechanics.

Riz, can you confirm that?

Because when I'm an NHL GM, I can NEVER EVER become the U20 Canada GM (I can get USA if I want it) but if I GM a junior team then I can.

Old
03-06-2015, 02:38 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

I appeal every single time one of my players gets suspended and I have about a 65% success rate in getting it revoked.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2015, 12:00 PM
axepig

I don't know how to feel about my teams, I'm usually top3 for offense with most shots/game everytime but I'm also top 3 for least shots against and that makes my save% is horrible... I'm usually midpack for defense but I cannot ever get a goalie get past .900 unless he's a hasek, roy or brodeur type of goalie..

axepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2015, 12:35 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

trying to update AHL with the new update roster with the changes for next season but cant seem to get a grip around it...

Currently:

West - chicago, grand rapids, milwaukee, okc, rockford, SA, texas (must have 7)
North - Charlotte, hamilton, lake erie, norfolk, st. johns, toronto (must have 6)
East - Binghamton, hershey, lehigh, rochester, syracause, utica, wbs (must have 7)
Atlantic - adirondack, albany, hartford, mancester, providence, springfield, worcester (must have 7)

Keep in mind:

OKC - Bakersfield
Norfolk -> San Diego
Mancester -> Ontario Reign
Adirondack -> Stockton
Worcester -> San Jose

Here is what i thought of i could be wrong:

West -> Bakersfield, Stockton, San Diego, Rockford, Texas, San Jose, SA
North -> Chicago, Hamilton, St. Johns, Toronto, Grand Rapids, Lake Erie
East -> Milwaukee, Binghamton, Hershey, Lehigh, Rochester, Utica, Wbs
Atlantic -> Charlotte, Syracuse, Albany, Hartford, Ontario (no where else to put a California team), Providence, Sprignfield..

The only thing i can think of for Ontario is to switch them with St. Johns

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2015, 01:47 PM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by axepig View Post
I don't know how to feel about my teams, I'm usually top3 for offense with most shots/game everytime but I'm also top 3 for least shots against and that makes my save% is horrible... I'm usually midpack for defense but I cannot ever get a goalie get past .900 unless he's a hasek, roy or brodeur type of goalie..
Welcome to my EHM life. And I say this as someone who's been playing 4+ years now Over the last few pages Mike Farkas gave me (and you, if you read them ) some great tips on playing a defensive system. If you want that rock solid goaltending you'll have to give up some of the offense. I've yet to try some of the stuff but I should this weekend. Been too preoccupied with Destiny if I've been at home gaming.

Last edited by irunthepeg: 03-06-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old
03-06-2015, 02:17 PM
axepig

Quote:
Welcome to my EHM life. And I say this as someone who's been playing 4+ years now Over the last few pages Mike Farkas gave me (and you, if you read them ) some great tips on playing a defensive system. If you want that rock solid goaltending you'll have to give up some of the offense. I've yet to try some of the stuff but I should this weekend. Been too preoccupied with Destiny if I've been at home gaming.
Yeah I've read a few of them and that's way past my current level at the moment, I'm still trying to learn slowly since I haven't won a cup yet. I'm not sure how to become an offensive powerhouse either, I'm always just barely over the leader in pts/games nothing too fancy. My players tend to shoot a LOT though and I think if there was some possession stats I'd be rocking that! My goalie usually gets 15-20 shots a game and this is the problem, it's hard to get a good sv% when you don't get shot and no matter what I try, I can't make the opponent shoot more often :\

axepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2015, 07:09 AM
Ambisextrous

Finally ended a season in the top10 for goals against, Blackwood with a respectable .919 s%, 1.99 GAA. I somehow took my very mediocre team into the conference finals, upsetting Pittsburgh and Tampa, 1st and 2nd seed, but only to lose every game 1-0 to a powerhouse Capitals (They traded all their draft picks for Mackinnon and Taylor Hall). Even with Ovi being shadowed, he got every goal, hoping Ristolainen and Zadorov can really emerge next year as a top shutdown pair.

Those defensive strategies helped so much. I've never really tried this style of game in the many years I've been playing, been a huge challenge. First year was a lesson players really were unhappy, was the most shutout team and just about in the middle for goals against, but each year has been much better.
Have been drafting mainly defenseman, and signed a few of my favorites like Max Talbot, somehow my best forward with a 8.8 rating, 25 goals and 34 assists, and winner of the selke for the past two years. Have a few top guys ready in the AHL, so trying to at least be an above average offensive team, so will set them as a bit offensive and the rest of my team continuing as a passive defense.

Seriously though, I just can't get enough of this game, there's a new challenge every new game I start, I dont even want to think of how many hours I've put into it.

Ambisextrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2015, 03:50 AM
riz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambisextrous View Post
Seriously though, I just can't get enough of this game, there's a new challenge every new game I start, I dont even want to think of how many hours I've put into it.
The strength of the game is the re-playability factor really. I'm always amazed to see how well the game has held itself up thru these years and a huge thanks goes to the community who have kept the game alive with the roster updates etc.

Hopefully we can one day give something back to all of you guys who have kept on playing the game and keeping the community around it alive.

riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2015, 07:48 AM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz View Post
The strength of the game is the re-playability factor really. I'm always amazed to see how well the game has held itself up thru these years and a huge thanks goes to the community who have kept the game alive with the roster updates etc.

Hopefully we can one day give something back to all of you guys who have kept on playing the game and keeping the community around it alive.
Honestly, I'm kind of glad there's never been a new version of EHM. I'm not one for change and I hate having to re-learn games with different interfaces, especially little quirks.

Old
03-12-2015, 08:58 AM
riz

Quote:
Honestly, I'm kind of glad there's never been a new version of EHM. I'm not one for change and I hate having to re-learn games with different interfaces, especially little quirks.
I'm gonna have to disagree here, as I'm kinda sad we haven't been able to do a new version of EHM. I'm not a fan of massive changes myself though, but little improvements are never out of place. I think the EHM versions we did with SI had a nice evolution of the interface, although I can appreciate it was a huge change from the freeware days.

Old
03-12-2015, 09:03 AM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

Quote:
I'm gonna have to disagree here, as I'm kinda sad we haven't been able to do a new version of EHM. I'm not a fan of massive changes myself though, but little improvements are never out of place. I think the EHM versions we did with SI had a nice evolution of the interface, although I can appreciate it was a huge change from the freeware days.
Oh definitely. And I'm sure the EHM team would have put a lot of effort in to making changes that the community would appreciate for each release, instead of just releasing the same game every year. A mold that certain other video game companies could learn from

Old
03-13-2015, 02:21 AM
riz

Quote:
Really? If for whatever reason one of my top-6 gets ejected, I usually will appeal and get it revoked. I also find that if it's a 4th line guy, I don't try appeal and then the next time it's a guy I need back, he will be more likely revoked.

It's interesting that our computers seem to make a difference with some of the mechanics.

Riz, can you confirm that?

Because when I'm an NHL GM, I can NEVER EVER become the U20 Canada GM (I can get USA if I want it) but if I GM a junior team then I can.
The suspension appeal process includes some random factors and also depends on the type of offense (some are easier to appeal), so there can be differences in results.

I'll have a look at the U20 GM issue one of these days to see what I can find out. There may be some special cases the hockey associations consider when hiring national team managers.

Old
03-13-2015, 03:05 AM
alko

Quote:

Stop talking, start working.

And now seriously. We are waiting for the new game, like for new baby. :-)

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2015, 05:26 AM
riz

Quote:
This is because the Canadian U20 team will always prefer to have their manager come from the junior leagues as most of the players are from that league. Just looked it up in ye olde code.

Old
03-13-2015, 07:50 AM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

Quote:
This is because the Canadian U20 team will always prefer to have their manager come from the junior leagues as most of the players are from that league. Just looked it up in ye olde code.
Very weird considering how many on here have said they've been the Canada GM while being in the NHL. It makes sense though! Thanks for checking