HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

pre game habbits?

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Bench Warmer

vCash: 500
pre game habbits?

what do you guys do on game day.. you know, so you feel well on the ice?

I ussually try to eat a balanced diet, while loading up on water all day..... i get home from work ( we start at 5am... our games are at 10 and 11 oclock at night so I'm pretty much obligated to hybernate in preperation of the next days work) and take a 3 hour nap.. when i wake up I drink as much water as I can and thne an hour before game time take a hot shower and stretch while showering.. then drive off the the rink gear up stretch again and play..

PS I DONT RECCOMEND THIS HABBIT CUZ I SUCK AT HOCKEY TO DAMN SLOW.. LOL

BENCHWARMER

Old
10-19-2005, 05:39 PM
damoose212001

Send a message via AIM to damoose212001
Don't eat too much, don't eat fastfood, drink powerade/gatorade. And since i'm a goalie, i do alot of stretching. Stretch before I leave, just moderate stretching though, make sure the reflexes are working, since i'm a goalie mainly based off alot of speed and agility, and my one superstition, is not to have a superstition. Is that weird? heh, it works though. Stretch once in the lockerroom with all my equipment on. Then last but not least, probably the most important one, when i'm on the ice, i try to do at least 5-10 almost full splits, at least get them as far down as I can. I notice when I do that, my performance is always better.

Old
10-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Haha...
Before my game like lastnight say this was my pregame prep

Worked from 10am-630pm
Go to Dads house and hang out before the game....sit around watchin TV i actually had pizza before the game yesterday but usually i get Mickey D's 10 piece nugget
Then i head to the rink game started yesterday at 930 i was there at 915 or so i get into the locker room down a coke real quick then get suited up.
Head out to the ice where i do my pregame stretches for about 2 mins take a few shots then play the game...
you would think i would have a bad game after that but i played one of my best games lastnight. Scored 2 goals and had 2 assists we won. and i could flat out fly lastnight...could be the coke or could be the hour of stationary bike i do every night!
but i dont really do a good job on the off season so i usually take a few games to get into game shape

Old
10-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Hockeylover

A good habit is to arrive at least 30 minutes before the beginning of the game to play around with a stick and a ball, or puck, to have my reflexes ready for the game. Nothing more frustrating than to arrive late at a game. While you're dressing up, the game is on, and you're there looking for your equipment! "Where's that glove! Oh! It's in the car!" Even worse if you're a goalie. When you finally make it to the floor, it's already 4-0 for the other team! Can you imagine if that happens in the playoffs???

Old
10-20-2005, 10:37 AM
Kardi

vCash: 800
eat something that wont upset my stomach head to the rink listening to songs that pump me up and if avaliable 2 shots of vodka and off i go

thats my new pre game thing so far this year and i got 2 goals and 1 assist in my first game ohh ya

Old
10-20-2005, 10:54 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 2-1 vs KC

me and the goalie meet for two pints of Stella in the bar above the rink.

Old
10-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
I don't drink any beer. That's about it....

Old
10-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Oilerfan120582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy76
Haha...
Before my game like lastnight say this was my pregame prep

Worked from 10am-630pm
Go to Dads house and hang out before the game....sit around watchin TV i actually had pizza before the game yesterday but usually i get Mickey D's 10 piece nugget
Then i head to the rink game started yesterday at 930 i was there at 915 or so i get into the locker room down a coke real quick then get suited up.
Head out to the ice where i do my pregame stretches for about 2 mins take a few shots then play the game...
you would think i would have a bad game after that but i played one of my best games lastnight. Scored 2 goals and had 2 assists we won. and i could flat out fly lastnight...could be the coke or could be the hour of stationary bike i do every night!
but i dont really do a good job on the off season so i usually take a few games to get into game shape

And by 'coke' you mean...?

Old
10-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Nfumass

vCash: 236
3 or 4 beers hits the spot and dont feel right out there if i dont rub one out before i play,

Old
10-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Kardi

vCash: 800
i recommend drinking alcohol before your game (if you do drink)
so far in 2 games i have 3 goals 4 assists and i couldnt of done it without the vodka

Old
10-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Hockeylover

I hate a teamate talking to me before a game. It just deconcentrates me. I prefer that no one talks.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:39 PM
Avery4Byng*

Get to the rink about 37 minutes before the game.....go in the room and hang out and have a big dip, then go on the ice and snipe a few.

Old
10-22-2005, 03:01 AM
chum

i try not to eat 5 hours before the game starts.

Old
10-23-2005, 01:52 AM
jiggs 10

If you are serious (not like most of the previous posters in this thread), a good habit to get into would be:

-Eat pasta about 3 hours before your game.

-Get to the rink at LEAST 45 minutes early, just to get your head in the game, and to check on your equipment. Nothing worse than forgetting your jersey or something!

-Bring a bottle of water to the rink, if only for yourself.

Be the first one on the ice after the Zamboni is done, in order to get that extra 3 minutes or so of skating in to break a sweat. I HATE players who get to the rink 5 minutes before the game starts, then wonder why everyone is mad at them!

Everyone is different, but I like to get there early (if possible) to make sure I haven't forgotten anything (like stick tape, etc.), and to jump on the ice while the Zamboni is clearing the ice. But that's just me.

Old
10-23-2005, 10:59 AM
Hockeylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
If you are serious (not like most of the previous posters in this thread), a good habit to get into would be:

-Get to the rink at LEAST 45 minutes early, just to get your head in the game, and to check on your equipment. Nothing worse than forgetting your jersey or something!

Be the first one on the ice after the Zamboni is done, in order to get that extra 3 minutes or so of skating in to break a sweat. I HATE players who get to the rink 5 minutes before the game starts, then wonder why everyone is mad at them!

Everyone is different, but I like to get there early (if possible) to make sure I haven't forgotten anything (like stick tape, etc.), and to jump on the ice while the Zamboni is clearing the ice. But that's just me.
Those habits just prove on thing: You are serious about you're doing. You behave like a professional.

Old
10-23-2005, 11:25 AM
name

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10

Thank you, this is very helpful. With all the quadruple A players who apparently read these forums, I was hoping that *someone* would respond seriously.

Old
10-23-2005, 06:52 PM
nspeen

i always make sure i eat at least a few hours before the game. i make sure im very hydrated the entire day and also i drink some water on the way to the rink. i like to get to the rink about 35 minutes before gametime so i dont feel rushed (unlike my teamates who arrive when the zamboni is on the ice!)

Old
10-23-2005, 06:59 PM
Galchenkel

Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
i'll be at the rink as early as i can. i think about the game sometimes, i stretch, i drink some powder gatorade (once mix with water ), and if i can, i like to go on the ice without any gear and i stikchandle a lil' bit.

Old
10-23-2005, 08:49 PM
DaveyCrockett

I only play adult league and intramurals at university, but I take it fairly seriously.
-Arrive 30 min before a game, so I can relax while putting my equipment on.
-Eat 2-3 hours before game, either a sandwich or pasta (always whole wheat)
-Drink a cup of water an hour before the game, but nothing else until the game starts. (I drink tonnes of water throughout the day, so dehydration is never an issue)
-I tape my stick before I leave for the rink.

Old
10-23-2005, 08:57 PM
name

Early Game

What do you guys do as far as eating is concerned in the case of an early game (7:30 am or earlier)?

Old
10-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Avery4Byng*

You know something, a good pre-game crap usually gets the system cleaned out and prepares you for a good on ice peformance.

Old
10-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Hockeylover

What about a strong coffee? If you already drink a coffee a day, then you may not feel anything. But if you hardly ever drink any, then you may get a serious boost!

Old
10-23-2005, 11:56 PM
DaveyCrockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray
You know something, a good pre-game crap usually gets the system cleaned out and prepares you for a good on ice peformance.
A pre-game dump can not be stressed enough.

Old
10-24-2005, 04:49 AM
grapeshine

A pre-game crap is good advice, but I've always been devoted to the pre-game nap. I'm certainly nowhere close to NHL caliber, but I'm told this is also a favoured ritual with NHL-ers. A nice 1 hour nap before game time always makes me feel extra energetic.

Old
10-25-2005, 03:03 PM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by name
What do you guys do as far as eating is concerned in the case of an early game (7:30 am or earlier)?
If you are at home, eat something light like an egg sandwich at least an hour before you plan to be on the ice.

If you are at a tournament, eat something like an English Muffin or whole wheat toast with a little water or juice a good hour before you have to play. Most motels have a continental breakfast room these days where you can this stuff (if it opens early enough!).

I agree with the other posters about the pre-game poop. Drink water about an hour before the game to get your system working and flush yourself out. Nothing worse than playing the game when you have to have a bowel movement.

Closed Thread