HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What's going on with Kiprusoff?

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2005, 10:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
I think your problem lies with that statement. Calgary was only a top team for a couple of months. This is the same team that only made the playoffs by 5 points last season and missed them by 17 points the season before. No matter how you slice it, the pieces fell together for them when it counted. Following this, they were then predicted by the majority of analysts and fans to not only with their division, but also the conference. It's as if we learnt nothing from Anaheim and Carolina. I'm not saying that Calgary is a bad team that got lucky, but a team needs to earn their way to elite status with consistent performance. Far too much has been expected of the Flames. They're a better team than their record indicates, but they should not be "assumed" to be an elite team yet.

You make some good points. Great analysis.

Old
10-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
I'm just glad he fell off the moon and back down to Earth big time

Old
10-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
I think Calgary will bounce back but I find this stat funny. In 39 games last year Kipper allowed 65 goals, in 4 games so far this year he let in 20 goals.

I know his defense has left him out to dry, I think a few of the heart players left Calgary with the cup run.

Old
10-10-2005, 11:08 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
I think your problem lies with that statement. Calgary was only a top team for a couple of months. This is the same team that only made the playoffs by 5 points last season and missed them by 17 points the season before. No matter how you slice it, the pieces fell together for them when it counted. Following this, they were then predicted by the majority of analysts and fans to not only with their division, but also the conference. It's as if we learnt nothing from Anaheim and Carolina. I'm not saying that Calgary is a bad team that got lucky, but a team needs to earn their way to elite status with consistent performance. Far too much has been expected of the Flames. They're a better team than their record indicates, but they should not be "assumed" to be an elite team yet.

Well said. Thats what I've been trying to tell people, but apparently less succinctly(bad spelling)

Old
10-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Resolute

Well, I suppose all the little crows are going to get to pile on despite likely seeing not a single second of any Flames game, but meh.

Aside from a couple of weak goals, Kiprusoff has been fine. His biggest problem is that he has been left out to dry by a Flames team that has completely forgotten what got them into the playoffs, and into the finals last year.

The biggest problem for the Flames on the backend has been the loss of Regehr. And I don't say that to use injury as an excuse, even though losing that kind of talent is a major blow. I say that beause nobody has stepped up to take Regehr's place as the leader of the defense. It is especially notable in Ference's play, as his bonheaded moves have lead to at least four goals against already. Hamrlik and Warrener are the two guys who should be picking the D up, but it simply has not happened.

The Flames simply have not adapted to being the hunted yet. Everyone is gunning for them, and they havent quite figured out that outworking their opposition wont be as easy as it was last year, because teams are smart enough not to take us lightly anymore. Until that gets corrected, Kiprusoff will be in for some long nights, as he is being hung out to dry on a regular basis.

From our perspective, Kiprusoff is the least of our worries. Hell, if it wasnt for him, we'd proably have given up double digits in a couple games.

Old
10-10-2005, 11:21 PM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
I think Calgary will bounce back but I find this stat funny. In 39 games last year Kipper allowed 65 goals, in 4 games so far this year he let in 20 goals.

I know his defense has left him out to dry, I think a few of the heart players left Calgary with the cup run.
18 goals. One was an empty netter, one was against Sauve.

Old
10-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute
18 goals. One was an empty netter, one was against Sauve.
oh...thats kills my fun a little. He will bounce back as will the Flames.

Old
10-10-2005, 11:24 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Calgary is stuck with Kipper contract

Old
10-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Oilerfan120582

Quote:
I'll add another "exactly" to your post. The Flames are now realizing what it is like when teams bring their 'A' game against you every night. They had success in 03/04 by working their butts off, and they had better start doing that again if they want to turn their season around.

Old
10-10-2005, 11:27 PM
sehnsucht

he's being hung out to dry by a defence too scared to play defence in case they might take a penalty (which they proceed to do anyways) and a forward corp too lazy to wipe their own *****

Quote:
Their Defense Is The Greatest!!!!!11 Prepare To Be Phaneufed!!!!!!1111
Phaneuf's been the only good Flames defenceman...scored a goal tonight and actually tried to get his team going by destroying Laaksonen. Take that how you will

why they're sucking right now:
a) special teams. 8 percent PP and 52 percent penalty kill. oh yeah
b) not trying. Remove head from ***, please
c) bad passing. Seriously, can't make a pass without someone bobbling it.

Old
10-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
PS, Kipper is killing two of my fantasy teams
baha, same..

I took him friggin high too!

Old
10-10-2005, 11:32 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner
baha, same..

I took him friggin high too!
ya know, at the moment, all goalies are killing fantasy teams

Old
10-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehnsucht
he's being hung out to dry by a defence too scared to play defence in case they might take a penalty (which they proceed to do anyways) and a forward corp too lazy to wipe their own *****

Phaneuf's been the only good Flames defenceman...scored a goal tonight and actually tried to get his team going by destroying Laaksonen. Take that how you will

why they're sucking right now:
a) special teams. 8 percent PP and 52 percent penalty kill. oh yeah
b) not trying. Remove head from ***, please
c) bad passing. Seriously, can't make a pass without someone bobbling it.
Exactly.

At least this team finally started showing some intensity and interest in the third period tonight. 220 minutes of hockey too late.

Two days off to recover, reload, refocus (or just focus), and then to come home for a homestand vs the Stars and some weak opposition. Hopefully the real Flames will show up for our home opener.

Old
10-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Hold the Pickles

It's still early people. Though I think Kipper will be a very good goalie, he will not be the 2nd coming of Roy like so many were thinking. Kipper has simply returned from the clouds and unfortunately, its happening while his team isnt playing so great in front of him.

Old
10-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpetri2000
ya know, at the moment, all goalies are killing fantasy teams
Thats why the only goaltender I drafted in my yahoo league was Pascal Leclaire in the last round Now I have Toivonen and Lundqvist....if one gets off to a good start with a GAA at 2 or better then I sit them for the rest of the week and steal GAA and sv% points in head to head.

Old
10-10-2005, 11:40 PM
sehnsucht

I love how they've came on in every 3rd period of the blowout losses. It's ridiculous, you get Warrener or Iginla saying in the papers the next day "oh blah blah need a 60 minute effort instead of just a 20" and everyone talking about how Sutter is motivating them with yelling but then they go out and do it again. The team being a late period team and Iginla being a slow starter is only funny when you're not expecting to win.

I know it's only the 4th game but I'm worried the team is doing what SJ did to Sutter, tune out to his motivational tactics of intimidation. What else is there to explain the complete lack of work ethic? It's not like we lost our hardest workers, either. Yelle and Phaneuf are the hardest working Flames and it shows. McCarty cancels out Gelinas, Mcammond's not an impact worker like Donovan is, Conroy was a good soundbite but invisible half the time, Langkow is 10 times the player he is. Oliwa is the worst guy they lost. Need Simon to step up and be the sparkplug he was.

Old
10-10-2005, 11:44 PM
IcedTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
Thats why the only goaltender I drafted in my yahoo league was Pascal Leclaire in the last round Now I have Toivonen and Lundqvist....if one gets off to a good start with a GAA at 2 or better then I sit them for the rest of the week and steal GAA and sv% points in head to head.
That is why Yahoo has a minimum starts option. It should be set to three or something, so if you have less than three starts you automatically forfeit all the goaltending categories.

Of course, I can't blame you for taking advantage of this if the league commish was dumb enough to leave it set to 0 or 1.

Old
10-10-2005, 11:46 PM
bure94

Calgary is a bottom dwelling team.

They had a one year flash, one - hit wonder goalie, and back into the western conf. depths they go.

Last season was a result of the Flames team playing way, way over their heads and Kipper playing the best hockey he will ever in his life. Flames fans deluded themselves into thinking their team was different than the previous cinderella's. The Flames team is a team that should be in the 8-11 spot in the west. If you thought otherwise you were nuts.

I can hear the screams of agony from T@T and splatman now .. hehe.

Old
10-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
now the entire hockey world knows what everyone in San Jose already knew...Kipper is a superior back up/so-so starter at best.
I understand where this post is coming from. How frustrating was it when nobody would listen to the people that knew Kipper was playing over his head. But I think youre a bit off here. Kipper is a Good Starter (but NOT exceptional,at least yet) and absolutely crappy as a backup.

Old
10-10-2005, 11:49 PM
LyleOdelein

Calgary's lack of success so far can be attributed to one thing.... the loss of Oliwa!!! j/k

On a serious note. I'm not shocked that Kipper's been disappointing. He's really only had a half of a good season as a #1 in his career. There have been other goalies that have had full years of great success, than have fallen off the planet. Add to this that everything from equipment, shot angles, to number of chances and quality of chances have all changed to the chagrin of goalies and it's not surprising to see Kipper having a hard time.

Old
10-10-2005, 11:51 PM
sehnsucht

have any of you actually watched all four games or just looked at the GAA? The Flames D is letting guy after guy just drive to the front of the net. They're letting forwards have free reign in the corners. They're playing lazy and listless. Kiprusoff is the only thing keeping these games from ballooning past 10 goals. He makes key save after save only having to face another 5-3 with Datsyuk or Tanguay being let in straight at him. The abysmal Flames team right now has nothing to do with Kiprusoff. The only area of the team I'm not worried about is the goaltending.

Old
10-10-2005, 11:53 PM
FlamesAllTheWay

Garbage special teams and a lack of effort until the third period is what's killing us. Nothing's really clicking right now and our defence, which is supposed to be our strength, is performing at an AHL level. Not to mention Regehr is hurt.

But, it's only game 4 of the season so there's still lots of time left to get it together. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later though...

Old
10-10-2005, 11:55 PM
CCF
This is the year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
PS, Kipper is killing two of my fantasy teams
Try having Thibault on the IR, Biron not starting, leaving you only with Khabibulin....he's done well.........

Old
10-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
now the entire hockey world knows what everyone in San Jose already knew...Kipper is a superior back up/so-so starter at best.
Sure buddy. Kinda like how Toskala or Nabby are puttin on clinics.

10-11-2005, 12:06 AM
IcedTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice
Sure buddy. Kinda like how Toskala or Nabby are puttin on clinics.
He never said anything about Toskala and Nabby.

Closed Thread