HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What's going on with Kiprusoff?

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Brad*

vCash: 500
Early season struggles. It's not all that surprising when you look at the size of their expectations, and the amount of new players they have, it will probably take them a little while to get going. Considering how they finished last season and their playoff run, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt...for now. If it comes two or three months in to the season, perhaps we'll have to consider the possibility that they just caught a good break, and got hot at the right time, and were never really as good as some predicted.

Personally, I don't believe they're are the best team in the West by a long shot. However, I do believe they are a very good team, and one that is certainly playoff bound; thought I do feel their expectations were set too high by many. Perhaps their early season struggles will bring that hype down a notch.

Old
10-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Stephen

Their Cinderella run ended back in June 2004..

Seriously, the Flames/Kipper are good, but they're due to crashland like other upstarts like Anaheim and Carolina before them.

Old
10-11-2005, 01:35 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedTea
He never said anything about Toskala and Nabby.
You're new so I'll let it slide.

10-11-2005, 01:51 AM
IcedTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice
You're new so I'll let it slide.
Why don't you educate me as to why Toskala and Nabby have to be playing outstanding in order for him to comment on Kipper's play thus far then?

Old
10-11-2005, 01:52 AM
Phanuthier*

I'll give it a shot (yes, I have a different response them the ever-so-witty "cinderella" comebacks)
  • The Flames are getting outworked. Everybody knows the Flames "identity" and key to winning is coming out and outplaying the other team - out hitting, out skating, out chancing, ect ect. They arn't doing that anymore, and they need to do that to be successful.
  • Drive - goes hand in hand with the above, this team almost needs a psychologist. After you get up so high as the Stanley Cup Finals... what now? Where do you go from there? How can you get up for a NHL regular season game after coming off such a journey like the Stanley Cup Finals? THIS was the failure that falled Anahaim, Carolina, ect IMO and I thought they'd be ok with Darryl Sutter, a vet NHL coach, Stanley Cup vets like Stephane Yelle, and pickups like Darren McCarty - that they'd have the "character" of a winner. Instead, they look like an unmotivated crew. What do they need to fix that? Who knows, I'd say a giant kick in the *** to make them grateful for every single NHL game they play. Sutter tried giving them a kick by inserting a fireball of a player in Eric Nystrom, but that didn't seem to work. Unfortunatly, the solution in the past has always been to fire the coach, but I don't think that's an option. My other option is to make a huge change, and yes I know it sounds like a "sky is falling" post, but I've said this before and I'll say it again, I wouldn't mind seeing Iginla moved for some depth if the trade is there; but, I don't think the trade is there. How else will they get a kick in the butt? Maybe a firy ol' vet to kick some *** in the dressing room, ala what Warraner did last year?
  • Defense - the other greatest thing about this team is defense, obviously. And the problem with the defense is twofold, (1) They're missing their top defenseman Robyn Regehr, and (2) The defense looks lost in the new rules. I'm not overly panicked, because I know there is an adjustment period for the defenseman to learn what they can and cannot do. You look at the games the Flames have been blownout in, and you see guys like Svatos being allowed to drive to the net unchecked and unchallenged - THIS is the result of the new rules, and especially affects a team that relies so heavily on strong team defense. I believe this problem will be self fixed with time as the Flames defensmean learn what they can and cannot do, and feel more comfertable knowing what their limits are and still do their job. Until then, you'll continue seeing the Flames defense hesitating and letting their man go, the biggest problem in the past 4 games IMO.
  • Kiprusoff - I didn't watch todays game, but in the past 3 games, Kiprusoff has actually been probably their best player. The Kiprusoff so far this year is the same Kiprusoff we saw last year, he just doesn't have his defense doing their job, and is getting left out to dry.

Lastly, I would like to mention that this is NOT a team that will go out and win a regular season championship. They are a team built for the playoffs, and if they get there, I still expect them to do some serious damage. Alot of poolies might be dissapointed to hear this, but don't expect them to do anything great in the regular season. But come playoffs... they're gold.

Old
10-11-2005, 01:58 AM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehnsucht
he's being hung out to dry by a defence too scared to play defence in case they might take a penalty (which they proceed to do anyways) and a forward corp too lazy to wipe their own *****

Phaneuf's been the only good Flames defenceman...scored a goal tonight and actually tried to get his team going by destroying Laaksonen. Take that how you will

why they're sucking right now:
a) special teams. 8 percent PP and 52 percent penalty kill. oh yeah
b) not trying. Remove head from ***, please
c) bad passing. Seriously, can't make a pass without someone bobbling it.
Quote:
Take that how you will
should have layed out his hits a little earlier. that was his only hit of the game. This kid is averaging 1 hit per game.

Old
10-11-2005, 01:59 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedTea
Why don't you educate me as to why Toskala and Nabby have to be playing outstanding in order for him to comment on Kipper's play thus far then?
Goes back to Sharks fans blaming Kipper for the dismal 02-03 season. Go visit the Sharks forum and see how much ball rubbing of those two goes on. That's why I said that.

Old
10-11-2005, 01:59 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bure94
I can hear the screams of agony from T@T and splatman now .. hehe.
Yes, yes. 4 games into the season, the sky is falling.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:00 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Goes back to Sharks fans blaming Kipper for the dismal 02-03 season. Go visit the Sharks forum and see how much ball rubbing of those two goes on. That's why I said that.
Does that mean one of them is up for trade?

I've always liked that Toskala kid. I actually think out of the 3 (Nabokov, Kiprusoff, Toskala) Toskala might just be the best, and thats not easy feat against two prime Vezina candidates IMO.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:01 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
he just doesn't have his defense doing their job, and is getting left out to dry.
Definitely not a first for him.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:01 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Quote:
Does that mean one of them is up for trade?

I've always liked that Toskala kid. I actually think out of the 3 (Nabokov, Kiprusoff, Toskala) Toskala might just be the best, and thats not easy feat against two prime Vezina candidates IMO.
Gimme Kipper back. Kipper is the best out of those three if you ask me.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:02 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Definitely not a first for him.
Sutter as coach, a defense letting Kiprusoff out to dry... doesn't sound like Anahaim, but something more venomnise...

Old
10-11-2005, 02:08 AM
Cerebral

I've seen every Calgary game so far and Kiprusoff has actually played fairly well. The biggest problem with the Flames so far has been defensive zone coverage. I understand that you can't knock a guy over that is standing in front of the net but you can still use your body on him to a degree and take his stick.

A number of Calgary players have failed to realize this (specifically Ference, Montador and Phaneuf to a much lesser degree) and thus Kiprusoff has been hung out to dry. Just watch the clips after many of the games and you'll usually see Ference standing beside the goal scorer with his hands on his head.

I fully expect the Flames to turn it around but I definitely don't think they're a top 3 team in the West like many have predicted. Secondary scoring still appears to be a problem for Calgary and they'll need to rework their lines to spark Iginla and Reinprecht into scoring more.

One more important factor: Special Teams. The Oilers proved last season that excellent 5on5 play will not neccessarily get you into the playoffs if your special teams are struggling. Calgary has been unable to get their powerplay rolling so far and their penalty killing has been just as bad. Getting special teams sorted out will be a big key to winning more games.

The loss of Regehr is certainly an excellent excuse for why the penalty kill has been struggling but there is no reason why the powerplay should be doing so poorly...

Old
10-11-2005, 02:11 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
One more important factor: Special Teams. The Oilers proved last season that excellent 5on5 play will not neccessarily get you into the playoffs if your special teams are struggling. Calgary has been unable to get their powerplay rolling so far and their penalty killing has been just as bad. Getting special teams sorted out will be a big key to winning more games.

The loss of Regehr is certainly an excellent excuse for why the penalty kill has been struggling but there is no reason why the powerplay should be doing so poorly...
Chemistry. Considering this year's No 1 PP has 4 of the 5 guys being new (Amonte, Langkow, Hamrlik, Phaneuf) its going to take some time. Might as well randomly pick 5 guys (last being Iginla) and throw them together, because none of these 5 guys have ever played together in the NHL.

As a Flames fan, you (well not *you* you) have to be patient. Special teams and the team defense will take some time. That actually doesn't concern me at all.

Getting outworked does, though...

Old
10-11-2005, 02:18 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Chemistry. Considering this year's No 1 PP has 4 of the 5 guys being new (Amonte, Langkow, Hamrlik, Phaneuf) its going to take some time. Might as well randomly pick 5 guys (last being Iginla) and throw them together, because none of these 5 guys have ever played together in the NHL.

As a Flames fan, you (well not *you* you) have to be patient. Special teams and the team defense will take some time. That actually doesn't concern me at all.

Getting outworked does, though...
Agreed, four games is definitely not a large enough sample to label a team with. Many players seemingly look great on paper together (like in NHL 2006 - you just need a scorer, a playmaker and a grinder!) but don't end up showing any chemistry when they're placed on a line with each other.

I mentioned in the pre-season that Langkow, Amonte and Iginla didn't look great together and I still feel that way. I feel the Flames would be much better served by breaking up the top line and mixing up their top six. Perhaps something like this would work better?

Kobasew-Reinprecht-Iginla
Simon-Langkow-Amonte

Can Kobasew play left wing? Amonte didn't look bad tonight but I definitely feel he'd look a lot better back on his natural right wing.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:19 AM
bure94

After tonights debacle Kipper's GAA is 5.19

Old
10-11-2005, 02:22 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Can Kobasew play left wing? Amonte didn't look bad tonight but I definitely feel he'd look a lot better back on his natural right wing.
Nope, Kobasew can only play RW, and I believe center as well. Amonte had 2 goals tonight, so I'm guessing he's playing alright. As for the No 1 unit and No 2 unit, you have to give them some time to let them gel. If you keep changing the lineup, the guys will never gel.

Saying that, I wouldn't mind seeing Reinprecht/Langkow switched, and having Simon with Iginla against teams like Edmonton to try and take some physical pounding (eg. Pronger) off of Iginla, which Simon would do.

Regarding lineups, the only changes I would have done differently (if I were Sutter) were to keep Clark and not sign Weimer, and keep Lydman and send Phaneuf to the AHL (even though Phaneuf is playing great, injuries happen, and Lydman would be in there with Phaneuf with Regehr out).

Old
10-11-2005, 02:23 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bure94
After tonights debacle Kipper's GAA is 5.19
Man, you've just got all the zingers tonight!

Old
10-11-2005, 02:27 AM
Wisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
Thats why the only goaltender I drafted in my yahoo league was Pascal Leclaire in the last round Now I have Toivonen and Lundqvist....if one gets off to a good start with a GAA at 2 or better then I sit them for the rest of the week and steal GAA and sv% points in head to head.
Don't you need to have three starts so that the goalies counts?

Old
10-11-2005, 04:42 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
I think the main reason is the new rules, that the defense stinks so far, they just can't cross check someone in front of the net to clear the front anymore like the rest of teams, the D was great not letting rebounds get to the other team and giving enough time for Kiprusoff to get back into position

Old
10-11-2005, 04:43 AM
the_gman83

Quote:
Amonte and Langkow played together in Phoenix, and Langkow and Hamrlik played together in Tampa Bay.

Old
10-11-2005, 04:44 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gman83
Amonte and Langkow played together in Phoenix, and Langkow and Hamrlik played together in Tampa Bay.
Amonte and Langkow were terrible in Phoenix

Old
10-11-2005, 04:48 AM
the_gman83

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
Amonte and Langkow were terrible in Phoenix
So why do so many people think they'll be great in Calgary?

Old
10-11-2005, 04:53 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehnsucht
have any of you actually watched all four games or just looked at the GAA? The Flames D is letting guy after guy just drive to the front of the net. They're letting forwards have free reign in the corners. They're playing lazy and listless. Kiprusoff is the only thing keeping these games from ballooning past 10 goals. He makes key save after save only having to face another 5-3 with Datsyuk or Tanguay being let in straight at him. The abysmal Flames team right now has nothing to do with Kiprusoff. The only area of the team I'm not worried about is the goaltending.

tell that to canucks fan.. and tell them to stop blaming on cloutier

Old
10-11-2005, 04:58 AM
ArtG

Anyone remember Roman Turek?

Closed Thread