HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What's going on with Kiprusoff?

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2005, 05:04 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gman83
So why do so many people think they'll be great in Calgary?
I don't know maybe something to do with Iginla

Old
10-11-2005, 05:17 AM
the_gman83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG
Anyone remember Roman Turek?
Now that you mention it, Kiprusoff's career has a lot in common with Turek's. Both were backups who were playing behind solid starting goalies. They both get traded, and put up sub-2.00 goals against averages in their first years as starters.

Let's hope Kiprusoff's story has a happy ending.

Old
10-11-2005, 05:55 AM
mytor4*

as long as the refs keep calling the game the way they are now the flames are done. if they play like they did in their last yr of playoffs they woild be sitting in the penalty box all night. they can,t play that style any more and really don,t have enough talant on their team to compete.

Old
10-11-2005, 06:17 AM
A_Mack17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
PS, Kipper is killing two of my fantasy teams
I thought I was the only one... so this is what it feels like when doves cry

Old
10-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Pepper

Looking at the nhl.com highlights from the Flames-Avs games, the Flames defense has been absolutely BRUTAL. Also the forwards are not helping them at all. Of the 7 goals max 2 were questionable work by Kipper.

Old
10-11-2005, 08:16 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
And Calgary in general, really?

I know that it's early in the season, but I was one of the ones that predicted Calgary to remain a top team...and I expected Kipper to have a slight backslide, but nothing like three six-goal games in the first week. Can Flames fans provide some insight as to what exactly is going wrong? I watched parts of the Wings game and parts of tonight's game against the Avs and they're getting run all over.

Again, I know it's early in the season...and this isn't mean to be a trolling thread, I'm genuinely shocked\curious.
Calgary was never a top team or even a very good team.

They were a team that got hot who happened to have one of the best players in the world and a goaltender who played over his head.

I'm shocked people are actually sitting there wondering now. Amonte is on the first line for god sakes. Anyone that thought they were cup challengers were just trying to sell papers

Old
10-11-2005, 08:49 AM
theotis77

The new rules just don't fit well with Sutter's defensive system. And as any Sharks fan can tell you, Sutter ain't exactly the best at adapting for changing circumstances. He's got his way, and that's how it is. You can tell the defense is confused out there. They can't clutch and grab around the net, but that's what's been drilled into them, so they end up out of position.

And Kipper? As we saw in 02-03, he really seems to flounder with a bad, demoralized defense in front of him, unlike some goalies who even with a bad team, will still give them a chance to win every night.

The Flames this year are so far looking an awful lot like the Sharks of 02-03.

Old
10-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Alex Selkirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFixer
The new rules just don't fit well with Sutter's defensive system. And as any Sharks fan can tell you, Sutter ain't exactly the best at adapting for changing circumstances. He's got his way, and that's how it is. You can tell the defense is confused out there. They can't clutch and grab around the net, but that's what's been drilled into them, so they end up out of position.
I think the goalie equipment being made smaller had a little effect on Kiprusoff's game as well. He wasn't Garth Snow or J.S. Giguere in net, but I don't think he was small and with no defense adapting to smaller pads is very difficult.

Old
10-11-2005, 09:10 AM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I've seen every Calgary game so far and Kiprusoff has actually played fairly well. The biggest problem with the Flames so far has been defensive zone coverage. I understand that you can't knock a guy over that is standing in front of the net but you can still use your body on him to a degree and take his stick.

A number of Calgary players have failed to realize this (specifically Ference, Montador and Phaneuf to a much lesser degree) and thus Kiprusoff has been hung out to dry. Just watch the clips after many of the games and you'll usually see Ference standing beside the goal scorer with his hands on his head.

I fully expect the Flames to turn it around but I definitely don't think they're a top 3 team in the West like many have predicted. Secondary scoring still appears to be a problem for Calgary and they'll need to rework their lines to spark Iginla and Reinprecht into scoring more.

One more important factor: Special Teams. The Oilers proved last season that excellent 5on5 play will not neccessarily get you into the playoffs if your special teams are struggling. Calgary has been unable to get their powerplay rolling so far and their penalty killing has been just as bad. Getting special teams sorted out will be a big key to winning more games.

The loss of Regehr is certainly an excellent excuse for why the penalty kill has been struggling but there is no reason why the powerplay should be doing so poorly...

No more rodeos on defense. We'll see if it lasts

Old
10-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
The defense is playing just horribly, I attribute it to the larger attacking zones.

Calgary's defense and forwards always played very aggressive and in your face in the defensive zone, which was great last season, but with more space, alot more, and wider lanes have been opening up, you're seeing our defense chasing and out of position ALOT and it is far more prevalent on the penalty kill. Back door plays and give and gos are killing us.

Its hardly the fault of Kipper, when your defense is letting players walk in and get behind them constantly there's not much you can do at this level, the best think about Miikka is that its very hard to rattle him and he should be able to bounce back when we can get our defensive positioning back in order.

Old
10-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
I'd also like to point out one funny thing:

If 39 games weren't enough to tell if Kipper was great or not, why is it that 4 games is enough for the same people to determine that he sucks?

Old
10-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
I would just like to point out that I did indeed say all that everyone said here about the Flames way back in september:

I told you:
1). You cannot replace 8 players and expect instant chemistry
2). That a new system would really hurt the Flames
3). That they did not possess the scoring depth alot of posters here claimed
4). Teams gun for them and Dallas is going to play them hard in their opener

I TOLD YOU SO!!

And I also said the Flames are a playoff team, not a regular season team... but they may not even make the playoffs.

And one last thing... it seems the Iginla roller coaster is on track... great season, poor season, great season, poor season, great season... next please.

But here is the Flames biggest problem, one that Sutter saw right from the get go... Flames are buying into the hype, and it shows. They are the Flames. Teams will just roll over for them. Oh it's only 3-1, we can come back, we're the Flames...

I know it is 4 games, but that is a pretty good indicator. Harder to turn it around when you are losing than when you can still win a couple.

Old
10-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Nihilism

Belfour is also struggling badly. How come no one is talkin about that? Leave Kiprusoff alone.

Old
10-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert
I'd also like to point out one funny thing:

If 39 games weren't enough to tell if Kipper was great or not, why is it that 4 games is enough for the same people to determine that he sucks?
because he had a team that could tackle and hold sticks and prevent the rebound goals that are getting by him in these first 4 games.

You have to admit... 18 goals in 4 games... that is just awful. His GAA is over 5 for a reason. He makes some great saves, but also has been unable to stop the 2nd and 3rd chances.

Old
10-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilism
Belfour is also struggling badly. How come no one is talkin about that? Leave Kiprusoff alone.
Cause Eddy isn't being touted as the next great goalie by the media and his fans. All we heard and read was Flames Iginla Kipper Flames Iginla Kipper Flames Iginla Kipper Flames Iginla Kipper Flames Iginla Kipper Flames Iginla Kipper

It was nausiating!! Reality hurts don't it!

Old
10-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Dogbert*

"Reality" in this case is that the Flames only showed up to play against Columbus.

I don't care about "chemistry" and all that. If you show up to play, and play hard for 60 minutes, you're going to be in the game. They aren't doing that.

Sutter needs to get it in their heads that they aren't going anywhere if they don't show up and play hard.

Old
10-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
"Reality" in this case is that the Flames only showed up to play against Columbus.

I don't care about "chemistry" and all that. If you show up to play, and play hard for 60 minutes, you're going to be in the game. They aren't doing that.

Sutter needs to get it in their heads that they aren't going anywhere if they don't show up and play hard.
Reality is the Flames have come into this season with a different team, and the Flames lost key, key players in the dressing room.

Reality is the Flames are not allowed to play their puck pressure game cause it involves interference.

Reality is Some Flames fans on this board are in denial.

Old
10-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilism
Toronto's defence wasn't thought as top 5 in the league. That's the difference.
Calgary will come around, but I see them around where the Oilers have been for quite sometime now. Pushing for that last spot.

Old
10-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Bucky

Quote:
GAA < 2 = GOOD

GAA > 5 = BAD

There can be lots of reasons a team sucks. Poor puck control by the forwards poor coverage by the defense or poor goaltending but at the end of the day GAA is a Goalie stat and "Kipper" carries the fault the same way he was credited with being a star during Calgarys Cup run.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
You have to admit... 18 goals in 4 games... that is just awful. His GAA is over 5 for a reason. He makes some great saves, but also has been unable to stop the 2nd and 3rd chances.
He shouldn't need to stop the 2nd and 3rd chances, which is why the defense is the main problem.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck
He shouldn't need to stop the 2nd and 3rd chances, which is why the defense is the main problem.
Agreed, then again I was also thought Lydman was Calgary's best defenceman last seson, and followed by Regehr. I was shocked when they traded him.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Dogbert*

Anyways, in two days, the Flames will play their home opener against Dallas.

Hopefully, 19 000 screaming fans wearing red will inspire them to play at their level.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Bucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
Lastly, I would like to mention that this is NOT a team that will go out and win a regular season championship. They are a team built for the playoffs, and if they get there, I still expect them to do some serious damage. Alot of poolies might be dissapointed to hear this, but don't expect them to do anything great in the regular season. But come playoffs... they're gold.
Earth to Phanuthier with the new rules it's a new game! The Flames playoff run wasn't due to an overwheming offence or exceptional special team play they won, as you point out because they out worked the other team. The problem for them is that they can't play the same way under the new rules without getting penalized.

First they must make the playoffs, second they must find a way to play defence without holding or hooking and finally they have to score. So far they haven't shown any sign they can do any of these.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:51 AM
kingpin_19

In the new NHL, at least for the first couple of months, will be based on special teams performance, and as it was said earlier, the Flames special teams are brutal. They're powerplay needs to have players whom are familiar to Iginla for the powerplay to be successful, and the Flames gave up 10 powerplay goals in the last two games. Their penalty kill is, IMO, the biggest flaw on the team. Chemistry is a factor as well.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFixer
And Kipper? As we saw in 02-03, he really seems to flounder with a bad, demoralized defense in front of him, unlike some goalies who even with a bad team, will still give them a chance to win every night.
That comes from someone who looks at the boxscore and not the games. Kipper kept the Sharks in almost every game he played in 02-03 and, from the mouth of Calgary fans, he is doing no less this year. He is not without his faults but he will keep a team in a game.