HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What's going on with Kiprusoff?

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2005, 11:07 AM
hockeytown9321

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute

The Flames simply have not adapted to being the hunted yet. Everyone is gunning for them, and they havent quite figured out that outworking their opposition wont be as easy as it was last year, because teams are smart enough not to take us lightly anymore. Until that gets corrected, Kiprusoff will be in for some long nights, as he is being hung out to dry on a regular basis.
There is also the possibilty that they're not good enough to win when no one takes them lightly.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:08 AM
hockeytown9321

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
I think your problem lies with that statement. Calgary was only a top team for a couple of months. This is the same team that only made the playoffs by 5 points last season and missed them by 17 points the season before. No matter how you slice it, the pieces fell together for them when it counted. Following this, they were then predicted by the majority of analysts and fans to not only with their division, but also the conference. It's as if we learnt nothing from Anaheim and Carolina. I'm not saying that Calgary is a bad team that got lucky, but a team needs to earn their way to elite status with consistent performance. Far too much has been expected of the Flames. They're a better team than their record indicates, but they should not be "assumed" to be an elite team yet.
Well said.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:10 AM
hockeytown9321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
[*]Drive - goes hand in hand with the above, this team almost needs a psychologist. After you get up so high as the Stanley Cup Finals... what now?
I don't know, 16 playoff wins instead of 15?

Old
10-11-2005, 11:18 AM
hockeytown9321

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytor4
as long as the refs keep calling the game the way they are now the flames are done. if they play like they did in their last yr of playoffs they woild be sitting in the penalty box all night. they can,t play that style any more and really don,t have enough talant on their team to compete.
I totally agree, but I doubt that the game will be called like this in January or the playoffs. That said, if they don't start winning soon, they're going be digging themselves out of a hole the rest of the year and will struggle to make the playoffs.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:19 AM
FLYLine24*

Kipper is KILLING me in my fantasy league.....

Old
10-11-2005, 11:27 AM
blitzkriegs

Maybe the fact that Kiprusoff has NEVER been a regular season starter before?

Maybe the fact that Kiprusoff played 38 games as a Flame that can now be considered a HOT streak since the previous year he 5-14 w/3.25 as a Shark?

Maybe his playoff performance in helping a 6th seed to the Finals was nothing short of Jiggy and Boucher...

Maybe this team was somehow annointed contender status while undervaluing a goaltender that still had played 85 total NHL games and was never annointed a teams #1 goalie...

Old
10-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Resolute

I find it interesting that most of the piling on in this thread is coming from the fans of the teams we knocked out last season.

I suppose this is to be expected when fans pitifully jealous of what we did last season, and angry over what we did to them last season get a chance to say "I told you so."

A very good point was made. If 39 games (+ playoffs, + world cup + season in Europe) is not enough to judge a player, dont you think it is a tad hypocritical to be making judgements on four games?

For all your strutting around like peacocks (lacking the feathers to impress anyone), you better hope that come the end of the year, you arent proven to look like fools again.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
I suppose this is to be expected when fans pitifully jealous of what we did last season, and angry over what we did to them last season get a chance to say "I told you so."
Right because lord knows Wings fans, whose team has won the Stanley Cup three times in the last decade, have so much to be jealous about with regards to the Flames and their cinderella finals appearance. For some teams, just getting there isn't enough to be worth bragging about.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:59 AM
kingbrath

vCash: 984
Quote:
Exactly.

At least this team finally started showing some intensity and interest in the third period tonight. 220 minutes of hockey too late.

Two days off to recover, reload, refocus (or just focus), and then to come home for a homestand vs the Stars and some weak opposition. Hopefully the real Flames will show up for our home opener.

Since when were the Stars weak opposition???

Old
10-11-2005, 12:00 PM
theotis77

Quote:
That comes from someone who looks at the boxscore and not the games. Kipper kept the Sharks in almost every game he played in 02-03
Are you kidding me?? I watched all but 4 or so games in that season. Were you watching the same team in 02-03? The whole team was playing terrible, but Kipper was NOT keeping them in the games. He was just as bad as the team in front of him.

Old
10-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrath
Since when did I say they were?

I said we were at home vs the Stars and some weak opposition. I seperated Dallas out for a reason.

Old
10-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Right because lord knows Wings fans, whose team has won the Stanley Cup three times in the last decade, have so much to be jealous about with regards to the Flames and their cinderella finals appearance. For some teams, just getting there isn't enough to be worth bragging about.
But not getting there seems to be worth crying about.

Old
10-11-2005, 12:06 PM
supreme_reverend

Calgarys defence is having some trouble now that they can't hook and hold like they did the last season.

Old
10-11-2005, 12:10 PM
struckmatch

No more clutching and grabbing = Not many Flames victories.

Kiprusoff is a career backup who overachieved. I said this all of last year when he was on his "hot streak", and I said it all summer long as well, that he will play down to his backup goaltender potential.

Old
10-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrath
he's taking his jab at the Oilers

Old
10-11-2005, 12:11 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
I find it interesting that most of the piling on in this thread is coming from the fans of the teams we knocked out last season.

And...what exactly did CAL do last season that has fans pitifully jealous of CAL?

Reach Game 7 of the finals and LOSE? Were fans jealous of VAN's 94 SC run? or ANA's SC run? or BUF's SC run? or CAR's SC run?

Old
10-11-2005, 12:12 PM
supreme_reverend

Quote:
Since when did I say they were?

I said we were at home vs the Stars and some weak opposition. I seperated Dallas out for a reason.
And remember buddy you got the Oil coming and there far from weak.

Old
10-11-2005, 12:13 PM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme_reverend
Calgarys defence is having some trouble now that they can't hook and hold like they did the last season.
everyone already knows that, unless your talking to a Flames fan.

Old
10-11-2005, 12:16 PM
bure94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilism
Belfour is also struggling badly. How come no one is talkin about that? Leave Kiprusoff alone.
Leafs weren't being overhyped.

Everybody knew the Leafs would suck this season.

And the Leafs aren't being blown out of the water like the 'el ultimato defensio flames'.

The Flames will be just nuked if they play a fast skating team like Edmonton or Dallas. Working hard won't get you anywhere when your defense is caught flat footed as Mondano blows right by Hamrlik or whatever pylon you have in the backend.

Old
10-11-2005, 12:22 PM
supreme_reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund
everyone already knows that, unless your talking to a Flames fan.

Old
10-11-2005, 12:23 PM
bure94

Quote:

A very good point was made. If 39 games (+ playoffs, + world cup + season in Europe) is not enough to judge a player, dont you think it is a tad hypocritical to be making judgements on four games?

For all your strutting around like peacocks (lacking the feathers to impress anyone), you better hope that come the end of the year, you arent proven to look like fools again.
Jealous of a cinderella run ?

Old
10-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bure94
Leafs weren't being overhyped.

Everybody knew the Leafs would suck this season.

And the Leafs aren't being blown out of the water like the 'el ultimato defensio flames'.

The Flames will be just nuked if they play a fast skating team like Edmonton or Dallas. Working hard won't get you anywhere when your defense is caught flat footed as Mondano blows right by Hamrlik or whatever pylon you have in the backend.
Modano is one scary player when on his game. I can see him lighting up quite a few teams this season. Hopefully not the Oilers again.

Old
10-11-2005, 12:29 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

one season does not a career make. Maybe Kips isn't as fantastic as everyone thinks. Or, he needs to adjust. Kind of early to freak-out. Calgary, despite the fantastic playoff run, is a young team, and even with the changes they made..they are still only learning how to win. If you all expected them to dominate, well, wake up and smell the Maplenut Crunch...it's a new NHL, new rules, new peeps, and nothing is assured. And Calgary just may not be a dominator, albiet, they are certainly a playoff contender.

Old
10-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFixer
The whole team was playing terrible, but Kipper was NOT keeping them in the games. He was just as bad as the team in front of him.
Darryl Sutter thought otherwise...enough to make him his starter when he moved to Calgary.

Edit: Forgot to mention that not just Sutter but also Brian Burke was willing to offer a 2nd round pick for Kipper when even us Kipper supporters (who were few and far between) thought he would net the Sharks at most a 5th round pick. Guess he thought otherwise as well.

Last edited by Patty Ice: 10-11-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old
10-11-2005, 12:43 PM
SJeasy

When the Sharks traded Kipper, Toskala was an unknown to all but the Sharks. SJ assessed all three and found Kipper to be third. The assessment was that all were close to each other. Kipper was judged to be less good positionally, but would compensate with a little more athleticisim than Nabby. Toskala has a little more as well. Nabby's concentration is a little better than both and his positioning is better. However, even Nabby can be off positionally as seen in the first two Calgary playoff games of 03-04. It took Strelow watching video to convince Nabby to modify his play for the subsequent 4 games. SJ works an integrated system between D and goal; the part of this where Nabby excels is not giving up rebounds. Kipper was short in this area as well. To play with Kipper the D has to be more aware and quick to clear the puck. With Nabby, the rebound issue is not as dramatic.

All three goalies will probably miss Strelow who has major health concerns.

In addition to all of the above, Sutter has made substantial changes to Calgary's roster. IMO, the new players will are adjusting to his system including an aggressive backcheck and substantial involvement of the forwards playing defense to turn this around. Kipper is neither as bad as the numbers show now nor as good as the 03-04 run.

Closed Thread