HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinions on Martin Havlat

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2005, 12:00 AM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Opinions on Martin Havlat

What is the general concensus on Martin Havlat in Senatorland? Everytime I see him play (particularly against Toronto) he strikes me as the most dangerous Ottawa forward with his combination of amazing speed and stickhandling and dekes. But he always seems to get to fancy and often fails to finish. Is finishing a weakness with him usually? What kind of production is expected of him by you guys?

Old
10-11-2005, 12:12 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

There is a camp of very ardent Havlat supporters and a camp of cynics.

I'm firmly within the latter camp.

Of the Senator star right wingers to release in the off-season, he was top on my list. Hossa wanted too much money, Havlat was put in the driver's seat as a result. My beef? His work ethic was inconsistent. He'd occasionally lose his cool and take stupid penalties, or get himself suspended. His playoff performance was uninspired and generally invisible. He may have been a beneficiary of playing against weaker opposing lines, though his linemates could be unskilled.

That being said, here are my objective points on this season's performance, so far:

1. Havlat is re-energized by the crackdown on obstruction. He always was a faster skater than Hossa, however he never got the opportunity to show it. Hossa's strength was more of an asset in the last season as opposed to this one. (Hossa IS still very fast however)

2. Havlat's performance as a PKer is a revelation of sorts, in that he produces at least one good scoring opportunity killing penalties a game. Hopefully the team won't neglect their defensive responsibilities trying to get him the puck. Our PK wasn't great tonight but it was hardly Havlat's fault as far as I could tell. It certainly makes the PK more fun to watch.

3. Havlat is playing more responsibly defensively and is finishing his checks. He has a palpable chemistry with Schaefer which is good to see since the only other offensive chemistry is Heatley and Spezza. Secondary scoring is going to be key for this team and he has a big responsibility. So far in the regular season, he has been dangerous on every shift.

4. Havlat's finish may be a bit off, but as a finisher he was always regarded more highly than Hossa, who created endless scoring opportunities for himself and failed to score. Havlat was more seen as a Simon Gagne type who as an opportunist, would sneak in and net some quick goals.

5. HOWEVER, this season, he is creating a lot more offense himself, and doing some nifty playmaking with Schaefer. I'm very impressed with this improved aspect of his game.

CONCLUSION:

Even though his point totals aren't up there yet, I'm much more impressed with his contribution to the team compared with last year. He has demonstrated a much more complete game. I'm guessing the puck will start to go in for him, and I do predict a short-handed hat-trick for him at some point this season. He's looked THAT good killing penalties.

Old
10-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
What is the general concensus on Martin Havlat in Senatorland? Everytime I see him play (particularly against Toronto) he strikes me as the most dangerous Ottawa forward with his combination of amazing speed and stickhandling and dekes. But he always seems to get to fancy and often fails to finish. Is finishing a weakness with him usually? What kind of production is expected of him by you guys?
I think you pretty much nailed it. He has a great wrister, but prefers to deke it seems. Hes definitely a ppg from my point of view, but could be much more with the right linemates and icetime. Right now, hes not even on the first pp, so hes earning every point he gets.

Old
10-11-2005, 12:18 AM
NCSENSFAN

Too many beers to read Nyquils post, too long.

Havlet is great on the PK, have not noticed him at even strength, not on the ppm but then again the pp has been only two or three people.

To be as strong as we are right now with out Marty is just great, he will blow up and we will just get better.

Old
10-11-2005, 09:23 AM
hank_scorpio

question for sens fans about havlat

i picked him very high in our fantasy draft and predicted he would be amongst the league leaders in point this season...after watching the game last night it looks like he's skating on the 3rd line...??? am i right?

what's the deal here? he's a franchise winger and he put up a point-per-game last season with some unbelievable goals scored.

is he on the outs with the new coach or what? any insight would be appreciated...i may need to seek an alternative to him for my fantasy team...

Old
10-11-2005, 09:37 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

There's another thread on this.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=180471

It's like 3 posts down.

Old
10-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
He was always a better offensive player than Hossa. IMO, the second best finisher on Ottawa after seeing the way Heatley buries everything.

Simply put I am one of his biggest fans...he really needs a solid center to play with. He ends up having to do it all by himself because nobody can keep up.

Old
10-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Mr.Brownov*

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Brownov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
There is a camp of very ardent Havlat supporters and a camp of cynics.

I'm firmly within the latter camp.

Of the Senator star right wingers to release in the off-season, he was top on my list. Hossa wanted too much money, Havlat was put in the driver's seat as a result. My beef? His work ethic was inconsistent. He'd occasionally lose his cool and take stupid penalties, or get himself suspended. His playoff performance was uninspired and generally invisible. He may have been a beneficiary of playing against weaker opposing lines, though his linemates could be unskilled.

That being said, here are my objective points on this season's performance, so far:

1. Havlat is re-energized by the crackdown on obstruction. He always was a faster skater than Hossa, however he never got the opportunity to show it. Hossa's strength was more of an asset in the last season as opposed to this one. (Hossa IS still very fast however)

2. Havlat's performance as a PKer is a revelation of sorts, in that he produces at least one good scoring opportunity killing penalties a game. Hopefully the team won't neglect their defensive responsibilities trying to get him the puck. Our PK wasn't great tonight but it was hardly Havlat's fault as far as I could tell. It certainly makes the PK more fun to watch.

3. Havlat is playing more responsibly defensively and is finishing his checks. He has a palpable chemistry with Schaefer which is good to see since the only other offensive chemistry is Heatley and Spezza. Secondary scoring is going to be key for this team and he has a big responsibility. So far in the regular season, he has been dangerous on every shift.

4. Havlat's finish may be a bit off, but as a finisher he was always regarded more highly than Hossa, who created endless scoring opportunities for himself and failed to score. Havlat was more seen as a Simon Gagne type who as an opportunist, would sneak in and net some quick goals.

5. HOWEVER, this season, he is creating a lot more offense himself, and doing some nifty playmaking with Schaefer. I'm very impressed with this improved aspect of his game.

CONCLUSION:

Even though his point totals aren't up there yet, I'm much more impressed with his contribution to the team compared with last year. He has demonstrated a much more complete game. I'm guessing the puck will start to go in for him, and I do predict a short-handed hat-trick for him at some point this season. He's looked THAT good killing penalties.
Awesome write up on Marty NyQuil!

I just wanted to add that he can be a dirty pig when he wants. Brilliant player though.

Old
10-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Tookhavlatandtanguay*

Okay then so everyone post in here...

I'm hoping for a mid 70's to 80's point total from his this year.

Old
10-11-2005, 01:53 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

He's not on the #1 PP unit at the moment which is obviously a concern.

He COULD play with Spezza and Heatley, with Dany on LW (much as Alfredsson filled in with them for spells) but it's unlikely to be a regular gig as Murray needs Alfie and Havlat to help provide additional scoring.

Havlat is playing a significant PK shift and is extremely dangerous short-handed.

At this point in time, barring unforeseen circumstances, I don't see him outscoring Spezza or Heatley and will probably compete with Alfie for 70-80 points. Your assessment is pretty good in my opinion.

Ottawa could have 4 forwards with 75 + points this season.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:03 PM
kolider

Havlat is one of those players who can dazzle skaters on the ice, but never finshes. His stickhandling is great, his speed is great, but his shot pretty much sucks.

The new rules are defintley helping him get scoring chances but obviously is inability to finish is showing through. I dotn have stats but im sure hes had a great deal of quality scoring opportunities but never puts it in the net.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:14 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolider
Havlat is one of those players who can dazzle skaters on the ice, but never finshes. His stickhandling is great, his speed is great, but his shot pretty much sucks.

The new rules are defintley helping him get scoring chances but obviously is inability to finish is showing through. I dotn have stats but im sure hes had a great deal of quality scoring opportunities but never puts it in the net.
Last season he was our best finisher in terms of shooting percentage.

-17.7 % was better than all other major offensive players.

(he was 2nd to Rob Ray's 33 % or 1 goal on 3 shots)

Old
10-11-2005, 02:31 PM
PlayItAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolider

Thats an odd assesment of Havlat. I've always thought of him as one of Ottawa's best finishers. His reluctance to shoot is the problem.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:31 PM
kolider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
Last season he was our best finisher in terms of shooting percentage.

-17.7 % was better than all other major offensive players.

(he was 2nd to Rob Ray's 33 % or 1 goal on 3 shots)
ehhhhh...I guess it depends on how high quality the scoring opportunities were then. One thing is for sure. He definitely is not putting them away as he should be so far.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:35 PM
kolider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItAgain
Thats an odd assesment of Havlat. I've always thought of him as one of Ottawa's best finishers. His reluctance to shoot is the problem.
Ive been a Sens fan since inception, Ive seen so many Sens games the last few years and year after year I still recall many opportunities where Havlat couldve or shouldve had a goal if his shot was simply better. I dont know. Watch his actual shot sometimes, tell me if you think its a strong shot. He's not known for his wrist-shot, not his slap-shot either. Snap-shot? Nope. Hes just one of those guys who gets in prime position a lot but never pots the goals that he could.

This guy could easily have been a 40+ goal scorer PRE-lockout. He SHOULD be a 45+ goal scorer in this POST-lockout NHL. But he wont.

I still like him though and am not "knocking" the guy per se. Hes quick, he skates circles around players, hes dangerous. I like that.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:38 PM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItAgain
It depends. Havlat seems to have no slapshot. How many of his goals actually come from more then 10 feet out??? Maybe a quick snapper near the net, but most of his goals come in close on a rush. It makes him dangerous as a sniper going to the net, but his shot is nothing to get excited about. He's got great hands in close while skating to snap it up quickly. Alfredsson and Spezza, when they actually get behind their shots have the cannons in terms of forwards. I really haven't seen it from Heatley (YET!!)

Old
10-11-2005, 02:40 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead
I really haven't seen it from Heatley (YET!!)
Heatley gets so much power out of his shot with such a quick release, it's pretty amazing.

In the 1st, he zinged one off the post short-handed, then did a carbon copy which Neil managed to brush for a goal.

The one aspect where he's looked a bit off is his one-timing from Spezza in the slot, although in many cases he wasn't all alone out there and he was moving as well, making it a bit difficult.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:01 PM
bert

I duno about no one keeping up with him, Schaefer and Havlat have terrific chemistry. I wonder if Alfredsson could play center? He seems so versitile and creative we have never seen him anywhere but the right side or the point on the pp.

Havlat is the most dangerous player on this team, imho. He is the most creative and explosive. He has a better shot then people suggest he just hasnt been barrying it so far this year. I remember one goal against Atlanta in the last nhl season where he let off a very quick hard shot off the post and in to win it. He does have some finishing prolblems but I think thats only because he creates so much. I agree he needs to start barrying his chances. I think Ottawa has three equal lines not one two and three. Murray needs to get him on the first pp.

Old
10-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Tookhavlatandtanguay*

I need Havlat to step up fast.

Closed Thread