HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Crosby or Ovechkin???

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2005, 01:42 PM
SML

vCash: 500
Crosby or Ovechkin???

I know it's too early to tell, but I just watched the Rangers play the Caps and Ovechkin is GOOD. Whatever "it" is, he definitely has it. He seems to be less hyped than Crosby, who also, from all reports has been very good. Who do you think is the favorite for the Calder (if not these two, then who?) and if you were starting a team, which would you take and why? I have a feeling that neither one will be the wrong choice, it would be like trying to pick between Gretzky and Lemieux, you're getting a heck of a player either way, but I'm just curious as to people's opinions, particularly those who have watched multiple games from either or both. Any weaknesses early on?? Thanks in advance... SML

Old
10-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
I know it's too early to tell, but I just watched the Rangers play the Caps and Ovechkin is GOOD. Whatever "it" is, he definitely has it. He seems to be less hyped than Crosby, who also, from all reports has been very good. Who do you think is the favorite for the Calder (if not these two, then who?) and if you were starting a team, which would you take and why? I have a feeling that neither one will be the wrong choice, it would be like trying to pick between Gretzky and Lemieux, you're getting a heck of a player either way, but I'm just curious as to people's opinions, particularly those who have watched multiple games from either or both. Any weaknesses early on?? Thanks in advance... SML
Ovechkin is the favourite, but it's close, and of course there is a lot of other guys who could win it also.

If I was starting a team I would take Sid, but Ovechkin looks like he would be a pretty solid guy to build around also.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:10 PM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
I am not surprised that Ovechkin looks better right now. After all, he is two years older than Sidney Crosby.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Steveorama

If I had to win a game tonight, I would take Ovechkin.
If I want to win a cup in two-three years, I take Crosby. He will be better than Alex.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Lionel Hutz

send this thread to the boneyard.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:17 PM
espo*

it's too early to tell IMO.When you watch them play and see what both players bring to the table as hockey players and then you factor in rate of development factors such as age of the two players it's hard to make a definite call this early.Both are really young and still going to get a lot better.We won't be able to make a more reliable call until about 2-3 years i think.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:36 PM
felixd

As of right now, I think AO is a player I would rather have on my team because he seems a little more well-rounded than Sidney at the moment. Sidney also looks like he tries to do too much sometimes and just ends up basically deking himself out. We'll see in a few years though.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:39 PM
kingsfan25

Ovechkin will be better this year. Not sure about a few years down the road. Crosby definitely has more leadership potential, tho, which could make him a better choice to build around. Based on what I've seen, Ovechkin has somewhat of an attitude problem

Old
10-11-2005, 02:50 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Crosby now... and Crosby later...

Old
10-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Jaded-Fan

*grabs the pop corn to watch*

Old
10-11-2005, 02:59 PM
revolverjgw

Either of them right now, doesn't really matter, I've seen nothing to suggest one is markedly ahead of the other (even with Crosby lacking pro experience). And Crosby later because of a slightly higher upside, better attitude, more marketability, is a center, I'm a homer, etc.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Smileypen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Based on what I've seen, Ovechkin has somewhat of an attitude problem
I'm curious what you've seen that makes you say that.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Jacob

I think after week one I've been more impressed by Ovechkin. But as previously mentioned, that's to be expected considering the age difference.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:36 PM
wilka91*

both surprised me

I thought Crosby wouldn't be able to get ANY points cuz he's too young and small, and I also thought that Ovechkin would fail in the NHL because it's so different from the RSL

Old
10-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Pens1566

What's the over/under on the number of posts in this thread before it gets locked?

I'm guessing 125.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:40 PM
zman

Neither of them. I'd take Vanek instead.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:43 PM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
Ovenchicken! I want a player who can score goals!

Old
10-11-2005, 03:45 PM
MM425

Its a tough, tough call. I honesly think Ovechkin is more gifted and has better upside, but Crosby is showing just how complete of a player he is.

I honestly think that these two will turn into the new Lemieux/Gretzky. One a more talented player, the other more of a leader and complete player.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:48 PM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
Ovenchicken reminds me of Jagr and Crosby reminds me of Francis mixed with... someone who can score a little.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure Fan
Ovenchicken! I want a player who can score goals!
Crosby:
110 goals in 114 GP the last 2 years
http://en.rbkhockey.com/players/crosby/statistics.php

AO:
26 goals in 90 GP the last two years
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...3?pid=00063735

Old
10-11-2005, 03:53 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Crosby has been so over-hyped by the "new NHL" that they should be ashamed of themselves. They should have promoted that it is the year of the rookies, where two years worth are starting to play, headed by Crosby and last years #1. But, as usual, Bettman, that loutish little worm, never sees the bigger picture, and instead sucks some guy dry under the weight of their own lockout.

Crosby, Vorbs, Ovechkin, Nilsson, Parise....youth is served. Rookies, 2nd year players, and the NEW NHL players like: Svatos, Hunter, Ryder, etc should have been all included and given facetime b/c Crosby will take time to grow into the hype.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:57 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
Both are going to be good.... regarding the Calder, Vanek is my darkhorse pick.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:57 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileypen
I'm curious what you've seen that makes you say that.
Didn't catch the WJC's did you?

I think it's too early to decide who is going to be better this year. I'd take Sid the Kid for the "future" debate though.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:59 PM
espo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Ovechkin will be better this year. Not sure about a few years down the road. Crosby definitely has more leadership potential, tho, which could make him a better choice to build around. Based on what I've seen, Ovechkin has somewhat of an attitude problem
I'm not sure.Ovechkin looks to have leadership potential to me.I've really liked what i've seen of the guy,how he is willing and able to make the plays,take/give hits to help the team and come up big when his team needs it most.Add in the fact that he passed up a sweet RSL contract to play in the nhl and any "no leadership potential" talk seems unwarranted to me.He looks to be a total package to me,great all around player that a franchise can build around. Washington will be HIS team very soon and i think he's up to the task.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:59 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
Crosby:
110 goals in 114 GP the last 2 years
http://en.rbkhockey.com/players/crosby/statistics.php

AO:
26 goals in 90 GP the last two years
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...3?pid=00063735
You can't compare the Q to the Russian League.

Closed Thread