HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Crosby or Ovechkin???

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Pens1566

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
Not all of em'.

I gotta say, watching the game last night Crosby was your best player. His vision and work in the corners @ 18 is scary. If I thought he had a better shooting arsenal I'd say he's a lock to win an Art Ross or two or three.

Maybe this thread won't get locked after all.

Old
10-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongster5
i see that all you guys forgot bout parise. he's been playing extreemly well and probably better than crosby and ovechkin combined at the moment. if he gets on elias's line when he comes back , watch out
No one forgot about him. This thread doesn't concern him (notice the title???).

Old
10-11-2005, 05:38 PM
hongster5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566
No one forgot about him. This thread doesn't concern him (notice the title???).
you might want to read the first post again

Old
10-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool
Jagr
jagr turned into an absolute beast and one of the best offensive players of all time, but he wasn't this good at 18.

Old
10-11-2005, 05:40 PM
hongster5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
Who do you think is the favorite for the Calder (if not these two, then who?)
just to prove my point

Old
10-11-2005, 05:42 PM
hongster5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
jagr turned into an absolute beast and one of the best offensive players of all time, but he wasn't this good at 18.
jagr is one of the better players in hte nhl but he's way overrated, not as good as you say

Old
10-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
i see that all you guys forgot bout parise. he's been playing extreemly well and probably better than crosby and ovechkin combined at the moment. if he gets on elias's line when he comes back , watch out
To tell you the truth, I really don't get a **** about Parise. If you feel the need to talk about him, start your own thread, don't hijack another.

And FWIW, New Jersey can suck my juicy Polish sausage... kielbasa is what I'm saying...

Last edited by Steve Latin: 10-11-2005 at 05:49 PM.
Old
10-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
jagr is one of the better players in hte nhl but he's way overrated, not as good as you say
did you watch hockey during the '90s?

Old
10-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Overrated, no. Lazy and sometimes unmotivated, yes.

Old
10-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Don't know too many people that would be willing to go along with Parise being "better than crosby and ovechkin combined at the moment".

Old
10-11-2005, 05:50 PM
SwOOsh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter
So one incident fueled by passion, testosterone, incompetence of a coaching staff, and heckling crowds and a then- 19-year old is labeled for life?

Wow, I guess you never made stupid mistakes as a teenager? I know I did and I’m rather glad I was given the chance to redeem myself before being labeled a problem or having an attitude.

Since his arrival in Washington, Ovechkin has been nothing but the consummate teammate, nary a sign of an “attitude” to speak of. He has been engaged in numerous interviews with local radio/television stations (not just practice pre/post game), often without his interpreter; he credits his teammates of each of his goals; he demonstrates an enthusiasm for the sport that has been lacking; he thanks his parents/brothers for introducing him to hockey (he dedicated his first NHL goal to his deceased brother); and he is gracious to fans.

Yep, sure sounds like he has an attitude problem to me.
Would that be like refusing to put on the Penguins jersey, the team that drafted you on draft day, and being forever remembered for it?

Old
10-11-2005, 05:51 PM
PatrickRoy

After watching both I'd have to say I am greedy and would want them both.
But after only 4/5 games it is hard to tell just who will prove to be what.
But it should be fun to watch.

Old
10-11-2005, 06:01 PM
hongster5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Latin
To tell you the truth, I really don't get a **** about Parise. If you feel the need to talk about him, start your own thread, don't hijack another.

And FWIW, New Jersey can suck my juicy Polish sausage... kielbasa is what I'm saying...
whens the last time your polish sausage won the stanley?

Old
10-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Haha. Wasn't that long ago.

Old
10-11-2005, 06:35 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

to be honest, i was expecting a little under a PPG for each player, but what they have shown me (with higher scoring) is that they may both put up 90-100 pts (go ahead and laugh, but i am an optimistic person). I think the top scorer will score 120+ (and for future reference, im saying spezza). Im very excited with how hard they have both played. I think that they have been the best skaters for their teams for every game they have played! At such young ages too! The way they have physically dominated the opposition is IMPRESSIVE! Ovechkin has been hitting anything that moves, and Crosby has been the best player in the league in the corners! He is SO strong on that puck. In all, i think crosby is better and will be better, but i am very excited to see it all unfold. how lucky we are!

Old
10-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
..... both combined huh?

Old
10-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
I know it's too early to tell, but I just watched the Rangers play the Caps and Ovechkin is GOOD. Whatever "it" is, he definitely has it. He seems to be less hyped than Crosby, who also, from all reports has been very good. Who do you think is the favorite for the Calder (if not these two, then who?) and if you were starting a team, which would you take and why? I have a feeling that neither one will be the wrong choice, it would be like trying to pick between Gretzky and Lemieux, you're getting a heck of a player either way, but I'm just curious as to people's opinions, particularly those who have watched multiple games from either or both. Any weaknesses early on?? Thanks in advance... SML
I think it will be like a Kovalchuk vs. Spezza question. They will both be excellent hockey players it is just a matter of what you prefer.

Old
10-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Before you were born.

Old
10-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
..... both combined huh?
hongster5 has a habit of posting that "so and so is better than x and y combined". Especially when it comes to devils players.

Old
10-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Noone has forgotten Parise. We are all hockey people and well aware that he is playing better than both Ovechkin and Crosby combined. And yes if he gets on Elias's line we will probably all be cowering in fear...

So we have already conceded the Calder to Parise. But the question remains "who will be second?", and it could be very close.

Old
10-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Smileypen

I'll tell you what I know about Alex Ovechkin.

I met him at the 2004 Draft in Raleigh. The Caps threw a shindig to welcome the new kids to the fold and invited a busload of Caps fans who attended the Draft. We got the chance to hang out with the owners, the management team, some front office staff and all the draft picks.

Alex was very humble. He was thrilled to be there, and quite gracious. His lifelong dream was to play in the NHL and he's living that dream now. He barely understood what people said to him, but he understood and appreciated their intentions. He felt welcomed. He took time to say hello to every single fan in the room, and tried his best to answer questions and converse with us.

No attitude problems at all are apparent in his play or his personality. He's a team player above all else. He was taught by his father (a former pro soccer player) that if you score a lot of goals and your team loses, then it's a hollow personal victory. If you do what you can to help your team win, that's all that matters. I'm paraphrasing, of course, but the sentiment is unmistakeable. He's not here for personal glory or awards. He wants to win the Stanley Cup and he will do whatever it takes to get his team there.

He's got the speed, the strength, the natural talent, and the instincts to be a future hall of famer. He's a gentleman and a genuinely good soul. I will watch his career with great enthusiasm.

Old
10-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Ovechkin will be better this year. Not sure about a few years down the road. Crosby definitely has more leadership potential, tho, which could make him a better choice to build around. Based on what I've seen, Ovechkin has somewhat of an attitude problem
Please explain

Old
10-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Steve Latin*

I'm a Penguins fan but a big AO fan as well. I don't know why people are so hung up on "picking" either him or Crosby. IMHO it's great to have 2 very dynamic young players in the league.

Old
10-11-2005, 07:56 PM
19nazzy

Ovechkin now. Crosby later.

Old
10-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Gillam_09

Send a message via MSN to Gillam_09
I agree that Crosby will Probably develop Into A better Player, but at the Pace Ovechkin Is on now, He could very well take the Light away from Crosby. he has shown me he is for real, because after Canada shut him down in the Championship game, i wasnt so sure on him, But after seeing his Great Preseason and his awesome start to the season, im really becoming a Fan of him. He hits, he scores, and the games i watched it seems like hes really trying 2 improve every aspect of His Game. Off the Topic, Im more impressed with Rostislav Olesz Then either. this Guy is for real

Closed Thread