HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Eklund signs with Sportsnet

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2005, 05:10 PM
DaveMatthew

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Game
God, Code from hockey nations.com is so much better than Eklund. Hope TSN signs the guy. Code worked for Eklund and give him his rumors.
Riiiiiight... The guy who said that Ottawa was going to trade Martin Havlat to the Rangers for Balej and Prucha.

Old
10-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Juni

odds on Eklund having been a Sportsnet employee all along?

Old
10-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Da Game

Send a message via AIM to Da Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach
Riiiiiight... The guy who said that Ottawa was going to trade Martin Havlat to the Rangers for Balej and Prucha.
No. The guy who said that Hossa would be traded, and was. He's also the guy who called about 85% of the NHL signings this summer.

There's a reason why Code has a better following than Eklund.

Old
10-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Steve Latin*

As much as I dislike Eklund, he was right on the money about a lot of transactions this summer. Of course, if you keep throwing darts, you're likely to hit a bullseye once in a while. Ultimately, it's up to the reader to determine if the false-negative to false-positive ratio is worthwhile.

Old
10-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Da Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Latin
As much as I dislike Eklund, he was right on the money about a lot of transactions this summer. Of course, if you keep throwing darts, you're likely to hit a bullseye once in a while. Ultimately, it's up to the reader to determine if the false-negative to false-positive ratio is worthwhile.
I don't really have any ill will towards both Code or Eklund. They did work together this summer, and I enjoyed them both, but Code is much better to listen to.

Old
10-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
HF has removed Eklund from being Censored.
Wow , now that's funny !

Old
10-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Latin
Thank you. Kovalev was going to Montreal....and Pittsburgh...and the Rangers....and Washington....and the Islanders....and so on - in fact, Kovalev was en route to Pittsburgh to sign at one point. Pronger was going to be traded to Atlanta in 24 hours. Then he was going to Anaheim. Then he was going to Florida. Selanne was going to St. Louis, Atlanta, Nashville, the Rangers, Philadelphia, Washington, Montreal, ...... and so on. Joseph was going to Pittsburgh and Toronto, and was about to sign with Pittsburgh twice IIRC.

As you said, if I were to say that next year some free agent was going to go to a different team every day, eventually I'd get it right and then could take credit for it. Yeah, he got a bunch right - and he got those players wrong *A LOT* of times before he was ever right.

Old
10-11-2005, 05:32 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjardus Greidanus
NHL2Night was cancelled long before the move to OLN.
Well, it wasn't run during the lockout, obviously. I'm fairly confident that it would have returned had ESPN picked up their option.
Nope. Back in Mar '04 ESPN announce that NHL2Night was being discontinued. Lockout or not, there would have been no NHL2Night last season.

http://www.ericmcerlain.com/offwingo...ves/003107.php

Quote:
March 31, 2004
NHL2Night No More

It was first mentioned as an aside in the Los Angeles Times' TV-Radio column (registration required), and confirmed at the close of the latest ESPN.com column by John Buccigross: this season will be the last for ESPN 2's NHL2Night highlights show.
Unfortuantely, the direct link to Buccigrosses column:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nhl/columns...ohn&id=1771507

requires ESPN Insider registration and $$$'s and the usually reliable bugmenot doesn't seem to work.

Old
10-11-2005, 06:01 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
It took him months to say that. If you're gonna defend him, and that's fine, get the facts straight.
It took him months eh? Funny - I thought it was pretty clear in his URL which he has used since the beginning..

You know the one that is titled.... hockeyRUMORS.blogspot.com

I suggest you take your own advice.

Old
10-11-2005, 06:15 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch
Eklund is to accuracy what Joseph Goebbels was to news
ouch

Old
10-11-2005, 06:15 PM
flyercide

i don't get all this eklund hate either.. he's been just as good if not better than any of the other bloggers; spectors, fourthperiod etc. rumors are just that rumors. i know eklund has lot of contacts. go to his website... lot of people have attached themselves to it. go ahead and knock it & them as some of you have already but truth is as far as bloggers go eklund has been right about a lot. including the latest kovalchuk signing. its not like everything he reports is going to happen.. its just rumors talks between so and so giving us some info we might not have had otherwise which is interesting stuff. morganti considered the best radio hockey announcer in this area gets tons of stuff wrong doesnt reduce his credibility of a hocky insider though. he still talks to lot of hockey personas etc. anyways grats Eklund! i read your site daily & enjoy it.

Old
10-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Snap Wilson

It is, as people have posted here, the forwarding of completely unsubstantiated B.S. as a "trusted source," the mimicking of newspaper articles without attribution, the constant self-promotion and shilling for subscriptions to his website, and the fact that he's being paid to write a column when he can't write for ****. I shouldn't blame him, I should blame all the lemmings that spread his crap like wildfire. Without them, we might blissfully have never heard of this guy.

Old
10-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Hawker14

good for eklund.

he obviously gets a reaction, so he's probably a good choice to run a column.

Old
10-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Eklund is very undeserving of getting an actual job with media, but, I think he doesn't get enough credit around here. Yes, he's very unaccurate, but that doesn't mean his sources are bad, or he doesn't have any. Like many have said, he just reports everything he hears. He only has a blog, so what does he have to lose? I think he'll do alot better as an employee for sportsnet, as he can't go around reporting each and everything he hears now.

Still, he's very undeserving of this. I don't know how a media outlet can hire a blogger, but I guess they felt his sources are good enough.

Old
10-11-2005, 06:39 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Good move by Sportsnet, they'll get thousands of more hits daily because of Eklund's column. Good way to boost site ratings, it can only bring in more revenue from ads on the site, if the site gets more hits.

Old
10-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAuldie
Bob Mckenzie commented on Eklund during the lockout and stated he does have a lot of completely credible sources.. the thing with Eklund is that he reports everything he hears.. even just rumours that have no credible backing.
for example HF posters emailing him and saying they were team insiders.

Old
10-11-2005, 06:51 PM
clefty
Crazy in the Coconut

I feel bad for good, honest young journalists who are trying to cut a break in the media game.

This is like Fox Sports Pittsburgh hiring foreczech (Penguins posters will know what I mean).

Old
10-11-2005, 06:59 PM
QuickDynamite

Everytime Eklund is right about 1 trade/signing he is wrong about 5-10 more. The fact that his name and trade rumours are banned from this site sais it all.

I'm betting any knowledgable hockey fan could hit the same ratio of trades/signings this guy does.

Old
10-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Da Game

I said it before. I read Eklund, but this guy Code is way more on the money than Eklund. I don't know if anyone has ever heard of Code, but he worked with Eklund but left because he was just posting every single rumor he heard. I pay for his inside info, and Code is way more on the money.

Old
10-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Da Game

Quote:
I said it before. I read Eklund, but this guy Code is way more on the money than Eklund. I don't know if anyone has ever heard of Code, but he worked with Eklund but left because he was just posting every single rumor he heard. I pay for his inside info, and Code is way more on the money.

But why am I fighting about two people who will most likely end up working for the media. It's good for Hockey.

Old
10-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
I feel bad for good, honest young journalists who are trying to cut a break in the media game.

This is like Fox Sports Pittsburgh hiring foreczech (Penguins posters will know what I mean).

Probably the only reason I ever visit the Pens official boards is to check out what doped up rumor he posts. They're so bad it's commical.

Eklund has, at the very least, been right occasionally. foreczech...

Well Stan, sources say Daniel Day-Lewis is coming out of retirement again to sign with the Penguins to be the team's #1 defenseman for the next 4 years. No word on wether or not he'll be sporting his Gangs of New York beard. To make room for Day-Lewis the Penguins have placed Brooks Orpik on waivers.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
10-11-2005, 10:33 PM
bcrt2000

I guess we can talk about Pelle Eklund now

Old
10-11-2005, 10:42 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Anyone who pays for "inside info" is well...

Old
10-11-2005, 10:45 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
National Enquirer wasn't intrested, I take it?

Old
10-11-2005, 10:49 PM
DJ Spinoza

Oh well. A rumor page is supposed to be interesting, and at the least Eklund will be an interesting read occasionally on sportsnet, with some speculation. There's no point in getting so worked up over it. It's only rumors.

Closed Thread