HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

backyard rinks (jiffy rink?)

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2005, 10:48 AM
dylan

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to dylan
backyard rinks (jiffy rink?)

hey, i plan on building a backyard rink using these jiffy bags. has anyone used these before and have any tips on connecting them to create a bigger ice surface with a smooth transition?

http://gateway.canadiantire.ca/drive...5524441903363_

thanks.

Old
12-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Puckboy

I can not tell by the picture but if it is the PVC pipes that snap together stay away. You need a very, and I mean very flat yard. I had about a 3" pitch over 50 feet and still had problems where the ice was thin. If you are going to do it do it right and buy some wood and heavy plastic. Set it up so that you can easily break it down and store it. It will cost more, but in the long run you will save and have a much better rink. My 2 cents

Old
12-02-2005, 04:29 PM
dylan

nope, no pipes. you're suppose to hold the corners down with 8 inches of snow then pour water on it to create a slush. im not understanding how putting these bags side by side will create a level sheet of ice...i guess i should just try it and see how it works.

any idea on paint to use on ice without melting holes in the ice? spray paint work?

Old
12-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Leaf_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
nope, no pipes. you're suppose to hold the corners down with 8 inches of snow then pour water on it to create a slush. im not understanding how putting these bags side by side will create a level sheet of ice...i guess i should just try it and see how it works.

any idea on paint to use on ice without melting holes in the ice? spray paint work?
Do it like they do in all rinks, spray paint on the plastic then freeze the ice over it

Old
12-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
can you buy them at canadian tire?

my neighbour use to use pool lining

Old
12-02-2005, 08:10 PM
dylan

yup, i bought 6 of them from canadian tire to form a 20 x 60 rink. i think i might want to go a little wider though. 20ft is kind of narrow. my pool is only 18 x 36...way too small.

if anyone lives in southwest ontario feel free to come out every sunday hopefuly starting on x mas eve.

Old
12-03-2005, 11:39 AM
FLYLine24*

Your going to Skate on bags?

Old
12-04-2005, 09:54 PM
dylan

you peel the top off the bag when the water freezes.

Old
12-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
what do they cost?

Old
12-07-2005, 10:53 AM
dylan

24.99 canadian forr 1

Old
12-09-2005, 06:32 PM
anteeksi

Send a message via Yahoo to anteeksi
hope your yard is completely level..never had any success with jiffy rinks.

Old
12-18-2005, 09:33 PM
dylan

yeah the jiffy rinks were horrible. i ended up just buying wood and plastic and its turned out fine.

Old
12-18-2005, 11:57 PM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by anteeksi
hope your yard is completely level..never had any success with jiffy rinks.
Indeed, they're a waste of money if your yard isn't completely level. All the water will go to one side of the plastic and the ice won't form properly.

Old
12-19-2005, 03:44 AM
Millions Livio

I bought one of those plastic liner rinks. It has the form on the ends and you level it with snow.

Says it'lls work on anything that's not on a huge hill, put put snow on the one side to level it. Made sense and my backyard was pretty level. Buy it, set it up, pack snow against it, fill it was water and it was all evened out. Somehow come out the next morning (this was last winter and it was about -3 degrees out) and all the ice is to the right side. The ice was perfect on the right side, but the left has next to no ice on it, was like a little thing sheet that'd break if you walked on it. The rink was rather big and I couldn't build a platform for it due to too much snow, alot of the stores were closed, and it was cold and snowing like hell. Just waited for it to thaw and took it back.

We've got an outdoor rink almost no one uses about five minutes away that's of very good size, so I'll stick with that.

Old
12-19-2005, 04:07 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millions Livio
I bought one of those plastic liner rinks. It has the form on the ends and you level it with snow.

Says it'lls work on anything that's not on a huge hill, put put snow on the one side to level it. Made sense and my backyard was pretty level. Buy it, set it up, pack snow against it, fill it was water and it was all evened out. Somehow come out the next morning (this was last winter and it was about -3 degrees out) and all the ice is to the right side. The ice was perfect on the right side, but the left has next to no ice on it, was like a little thing sheet that'd break if you walked on it. The rink was rather big and I couldn't build a platform for it due to too much snow, alot of the stores were closed, and it was cold and snowing like hell. Just waited for it to thaw and took it back.

We've got an outdoor rink almost no one uses about five minutes away that's of very good size, so I'll stick with that.

I think theres some kind of unwritten rule that once you are more than 10 years into adulthood, you shouldn't be on an outdoor rink....unless you can still pass for quite young(In the cold, often no problem)

Closed Thread