HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Post-Game Review OTT-MTL Oct.11

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Pangu

vCash: 500
I felt that the refs were not calling it very well in the Leafs game either. I can definitly forsee the return of the old NHL. Very disappointing if you ask me.

Old
10-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Skrymir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borky
Who got the three stars and the hardest-working Sen from the Team 1200? I missed it.
*1 Alfredsson
*2 Chara
*3 Koivu

*4 Vermette

Old
10-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Borky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrymir
*1 Alfredsson
*2 Chara
*3 Koivu

*4 Vermette
Thanks ... I thought nobody liked me.

Old
10-11-2005, 10:31 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Anyone else think that our shifts are still too long?

Especially against a team like Montreal?

Old
10-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Skrymir

As for Pothier... I agree I wish there was a better alternative than to ice him every night, but I don't see it happening until a) he gets hurt or b) we bring in another rh shot on the blue line (as it stands other than pothier the only RH dman in Ottawa or bingo is Ward). As much as it sucks if you have no RH dmen your options on the PP are really limited.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:13 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Eaves got to play with Alfie? That's definately surprising. Good for him to have a good game.

I knew Vermette would step up if given a shot.

Emery keeps impressing. He had a great preseason and obviously has confidence.

I missed the game, but nice to come back from work and see a win.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:32 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Chara's Fight:

At the time, the rational part of my mind way saying, "Chara, don't go in the box for 5 minutes", while the emotional part of my mind was saying, "Let's get something going. The new Assistant Captain steps up!"

Afterwards, I couldn't help but think about the big goal he scored in Game 6 of the playoffs last year when he took the game into his own hands.

Do you think his fight was a bit of a turning point in the game? I thought Ottawa played better afterwards, but I'm not exactly sure in terms of the timing in the 2nd.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
Chara's Fight:

At the time, the rational part of my mind way saying, "Chara, don't go in the box for 5 minutes", while the emotional part of my mind was saying, "Let's get something going. The new Assistant Captain steps up!"

Afterwards, I couldn't help but think about the big goal he scored in Game 6 of the playoffs last year when he took the game into his own hands.

Do you think his fight was a bit of a turning point in the game? I thought Ottawa played better afterwards, but I'm not exactly sure in terms of the timing in the 2nd.
Don't think the fight was that big of a deal either way. I think if Chara fights it should be with Joe Thorton or Iginla or someone that is a star player not a crappy goon. It would suck to break your hand on a player's head who averages less than 5 min. a game. But I guess he can do what he wants. I like to watch a fight but generally I think they are usually pretty stupid and pointless in the game. Pretty much the only real punch in the fight was after the Montreal player was tied up by the linnesman and all those Montreal fans complaining about that had a point.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:49 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup2006sensrule
I think if Chara fights it should be with Joe Thorton or Iginla or someone that is a star player not a crappy goon.
There aren't too many good players in Chara's weight and size class.

Old
10-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
There aren't too many good players in Chara's weight and size class.
Good point that is why he shouldn't fight unless it is really important to do it. I guess I see fighting as pretty much redundant, especially if it is goon vs goon fighting just for the sake of fighting.

If someone runs Alfie than Chara should fight whomever but if there is not a huge compelling reason to fight then I wish he wouldn't.

I can't see anyone wanting to fight Chara because he just fights so different than anyone else. When he was lining up to fight he has one hand in a fist and the other hand open, just ready for some ragdolling action!

Old
10-11-2005, 11:56 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
I can't see anyone wanting to fight Chara because he just fights so different than anyone else. When he was lining up to fight he has one hand in a fist and the other hand open, just ready for some ragdolling action!
I agree that he shouldn't fight as he's much too valuable on the ice. Emery can really throw 'em but who wants a goalie with a broken hand?

Still, I can't say I mind seeing him go at it now and then, even with the risk.

He reminds me too much of Zangief in that old game, Street Fighter 2.

Old
10-12-2005, 01:09 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
http://media.putfile.com/CharaIvanans

Are those Ivanans teeth you see flying after Chara sucker punches him? Because if so, that's freakin awesome.

Old
10-12-2005, 01:35 AM
FTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo
http://media.putfile.com/CharaIvanans

Are those Ivanans teeth you see flying after Chara sucker punches him? Because if so, that's freakin awesome.
Awesome wouldn't be the word I would use....I felt bad for the guy as I watched the replay.

Can you imagine loosing a couple of teeth because of a sucker-punch?

Old
10-12-2005, 05:13 AM
Random Ryan*

Send a message via MSN to Random Ryan*
It was disappointing at the start..but what they lacked early, they made up in goals.

Old
10-12-2005, 06:30 AM
kyle747

shoulda thought of that before he tried to go high on alfie against the glass and injure him. Anyone who tries to do that this year is going to be wearing his head for a hat !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTK
Awesome wouldn't be the word I would use....I felt bad for the guy as I watched the replay.

Can you imagine loosing a couple of teeth because of a sucker-punch?

Old
10-12-2005, 07:45 AM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Anyone else think that our shifts are still too long?

Especially against a team like Montreal?
Yuppers. Especially Spezz.

Old
10-12-2005, 07:53 AM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Yes. That was the impression I had while watching the game.
Quote:
I think if Chara fights it should be with Joe Thorton or Iginla or someone that is a star player not a crappy goon. It would suck to break your hand on a player's head who averages less than 5 min. a game.
Two points. Ivanans (sp?) and Chara were on the ice so it was more of a reaction that a decision. Secondly, this is exactly the time of year that you want Chara to fight. If he hurts himself he'd still be back in lots of time for the playoffs. Setting the tone for the year is much more important than having all our players healthy from October to December.

Old
10-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Bileur

I have to agree about Pothier I freaking hate him. I don even want him on the PP might as well give the spot to Mez and let him develop a better game there. Pothier is a major liability.

Old
10-12-2005, 01:15 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
If Chara has to send the message that you don't mess with our captain, then I'm all for it. That's why he's got an 'A' on his jersey.

Old
10-12-2005, 01:17 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
If Chara has to send the message that you don't mess with our captain, then I'm all for it. That's why he's got an 'A' on his jersey.
Yeah, considering Ottawa was known as a team that would allow opposing teams to take liberties with their top players, it's good to see a bit of a no-tolerance policy from the get-go.

This is part and parcel of Murray's "toughness and offense" philosophy.

Old
10-12-2005, 01:47 PM
FTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747
shoulda thought of that before he tried to go high on alfie against the glass and injure him. Anyone who tries to do that this year is going to be wearing his head for a hat !!
I guess you missed the point...it's great to protect your captain, but to injure a player on a cheap shot is not. If he had broken Ivanans' jaw in a clean fight, that would be perfect.

As a Sens fan I just wish he had taken him out cleanly

Old
10-12-2005, 02:07 PM
kolider

Quote:
Yeah, considering Ottawa was known as a team that would allow opposing teams to take liberties with their top players, it's good to see a bit of a no-tolerance policy from the get-go.

This is part and parcel of Murray's "toughness and offense" philosophy.
I'm willing to bet nobody will push us around with Chara, Neil and McGrattan playing every game.

Old
10-12-2005, 02:47 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolider
I'm willing to bet nobody will push us around with Chara, Neil and McGrattan playing every game.
I wonder if McGrattan will ride the pine or the bus back to Bingo once Varada comes back.

I think McGrattan deserves an "A for effort" in that he hasn't made any major blunders and has done everything asked of him on the big team so far this year, including screening Theodore on Chara's goal against Montreal.

Old
10-12-2005, 03:04 PM
kyle747

Your not getting the message. Dirty is better than clean. dirty wins. dirty is good, we tried clean and we lost every time.
Now if you mess with our captain , we will wear your groin strings for suspenders !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTK
I guess you missed the point...it's great to protect your captain, but to injure a player on a cheap shot is not. If he had broken Ivanans' jaw in a clean fight, that would be perfect.

As a Sens fan I just wish he had taken him out cleanly

Old
10-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
I wonder if McGrattan will ride the pine or the bus back to Bingo once Varada comes back....
And then call him up every time the Sens play the leafs...NOW that would send a message!

Closed Thread