HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Thomas Steen

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2005, 01:28 AM
silver_made*

vCash: 500
Thomas Steen

Anyone (particularly Jets fans) care to reminisce?

Pretty good two-way forward. Aside from being only the 2nd Jet to have his number retired (Bo.Hull), did he receive enough recognition? Is he underrated for his generation? Is he generally underappreciated? Did you find him to be just useless? Why did the Jets hold on to him so long (14 seasons)?

Do share your thoughts.

Last edited by silver_made*: 10-12-2005 at 06:51 AM.
Old
10-12-2005, 07:24 AM
brianscot

Thomas Steen was a solid second line center.

Unfortunately, having two seasons scoring over 80 points didnt win you much publicity during the big 80s, especially when the number one center on your team --- Dale Hawerchuk --- got tonsssss of publicity.

It also didnt help that Winnipeg isnt a huge media center ala New York or Montreal.

Or that the best second line center in the game (Mark Messier) plays in your division.

With so many high scoring centers in the era, it was hard for legit number two's to get their due, unless you were Dale Hunter, and often got noticed for the wrong reasons.

Old
10-12-2005, 09:59 PM
God Bless Canada

I was always a big Thomas Steen fan. He'll go down as one of my favourite Europeans ever. He could kill you in so many ways. He was a smart stickhandler and passer, but also a strong defensive player. A good leader, too. One of the first Europeans to be named a team captain. Wasn't afraid to get physical. (Just ask Steve Yzerman). I see some of Thomas in his son, although I don't think his son will be near the player that Thomas is.

Old
10-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Lowetide

Steen was a fine player imo. Terrific passer, unselfish and he could make plays in tight spots. iirc he started getting injured around 30 and it put a hole in his career stats but he was a heckuva player.

Old
10-13-2005, 12:51 PM
jamiebez

Perhaps my favorite player of all time. Underappreciated everywhere but in Winnipeg, for a lot of the reasons mentioned above. The biggest thing for me is that he played behind Hawerchuk in a day when your 1st line C got a lot more ice time than we're accustomed to today. By the time Dale was traded, his back injuries prevented him from really stealing the show.

They kept him for so long because he wanted to stay and I think they realized his contributions wouldn't be recognized in a trade. He genuinely loved the city and probably could have joined the team in Phoenix but decided to retire a Jet after the 1994/95 season (when it looked like they were moving to Minneapolis).

Consumate quiet leader, played hard every shift and never complained. Good forechecker, real good passer. And a scrapper, to boot. I remember him fighting Russ Courtnall in a heck of a tilt (at least for two non-fighters).

A sad day for Jets fans when he retired.

Old
10-15-2005, 10:13 PM
silver_made*

Out of curiosity, who is THEE Jet to Winnipeg fans?

Hawerchuk?
Bo.Hull?
Numminen?
or
Steen?

I know this is a bit of a slap in Teppo's face, but anything as a member of Phoenix does not count. This is strictly Jets history, not Jets/Coyotes franchise history.

Old
10-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Lowetide

I'm not a Jets fan, but I know a bunch of them and their eyes glaze over and they get a little crazy when they talk about Hawerchuk.

Old
10-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Tomas Steen was the player I think Jan Bulis could become if he ever puts everything together.

Closed Thread