HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Frolov?

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2005, 01:40 PM
chuckie

vCash: 500
Frolov?

Honestly I thought frolov would come flying out of the gate after that season in russia, but I haven't heard much from him.I haven't seen any king games, just hightlights. How has he looked and who is he playing with ? Is AM actually playing him on the PP this year or is he misusing him again thanks...........

Old
10-12-2005, 01:45 PM
KingKong99

He's playing a lot in all situations. He's looked ok on the whole. Not great really, but he's definitley got the skills - just has to play at high level more consistently. He'll be good for 25-30 goals this year and 60 points I'd say...

Old
10-12-2005, 02:35 PM
kingbrath

vCash: 984
he'll catch on as soon as Andy quits ****ing with the lines.

Old
10-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Fripp

He looked just fine last night. Made some good passes, went to the net, and was the usual beast down low protecting the puck and making life hard on the other team's defensemen.

Old
10-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
I think he will be great once he gets in sync with Demitra. If they continue to play together, I think they will be huge.

Frolov had 18:50 in ice time last night. He's getting the #1 line ice time, regardless of what AM calls his line. He's also getting a good amount of PP time.

Old
10-12-2005, 06:49 PM
PACaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo
I think he will be great once he gets in sync with Demitra. If they continue to play together, I think they will be huge.

Frolov had 18:50 in ice time last night. He's getting the #1 line ice time, regardless of what AM calls his line. He's also getting a good amount of PP time.
I agree, I think he will be great with Demitra and Conroy. Pavol will team with Frolov to be great in the offensive zone where Conroy is no slouch either but CC will do a lot of the defensive dirty work. I agree that Pavol and Alex haven't quite built up their chemistry yet but there have been some flashes of what is hopefully to come.

Old
10-12-2005, 08:53 PM
ILuvLA

Agree with the comments about playing with Pavol, etc. Last night he stuck to the puck very well, and once that line gels more, it should be great. Even though he's not lit the lamp yet, Frolov has been contributing.

Old
10-13-2005, 12:25 AM
guzmania

Someone should show Alex where the front of the net is and on the way show him the center of the ice, like between the circles. If there is one gripe I have it is with the perimeter play of the whole team with a very few exceptions. I could care less if he holds the puck for 30 seconds, (without a shot, in a place on the ice where shooting is pointless). 5 large $ means "put the puck in the net", you can't do that from the corner. In truth Mike C played a much more intense game.

Old
10-13-2005, 03:56 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

The chemistry between he and Demitra is definitely NOT there yet. The run into eachother at least once a shift in the offensive zone. Hopefully that will change somehow; whether is be new linemates or time.

Agree with Guz as well. It's looking like his year in Russia wasn't great for his NHL game. Fro's seemed very passive when he has the puck. He wants to protect it all day long a wait for the perfect play, but as the old saying goes "get the puck on net, and good things will happen"

10-13-2005, 02:34 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

i see frolov getting stronger as the season progresses

Old
10-14-2005, 02:42 AM
jeffreyaa

He looked invisible out there tonight vs Detroit. I do think he'll get back to the level he should be at, but he did nothing in this game. I wonder if he still has the flu...

Old
10-14-2005, 03:18 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyaa
He looked invisible out there tonight vs Detroit. I do think he'll get back to the level he should be at, but he did nothing in this game. I wonder if he still has the flu...

That may be a good observation. There was on shot of him, midway through the first where the camera panned in on him and he was huffing and puffing like he smoke a pack of Camels just before the game; and it wasn't as though he was at the end of a double shift.

Old
10-14-2005, 11:58 AM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
i see frolov getting stronger as the season progresses
I hope your right. He is my secret weapon in my hockey pool. I am pretty sure I am the only one who got him. I think him and Demitra are going to be a good combo after another month.

Old
10-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyaa
I wonder if he still has the flu...
I was wondering the same thing.

Old
10-14-2005, 01:44 PM
zeppelin97

I think frolov is definately having trouble adjusting to a quicker NHL, particularly down low. He excelled at a slower clutch grab pace where he had time to make decisions, now he doesn't have any time to think. Whats worse is frolov seems to still have trouble sometimes with the one-timer.

Old
10-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Look at who Frolov played with last season (03-04) compared to his linemates today.

Early during 03-04, Frolov was on a line with Belanger and Klatt. Klatt eventually was moved to play with Luc and Armstrong, and Frolov was playing with Stumpel and Ziggy whenever they were healthy. After Ziggy went down, numerous wingers rotated on that line, and Stumpel, as usual, was in and out of the lineup because of injuries.

This season Frolov has better linemates, but I think as already mentioned, their styles may clash a bit. There is just way too much passing between the three and not enough shooting. Demitra was most effective offensively when he was centering Keith Tkachuk in St. Louis. They actually had Weight move down to center the second scoring line because of the chemistry between Tkachuk and Demitra.

The Kings should perhaps look into moving Demitra to center to play between Brown and either Roenick on wing or Cammalleri. Conroy is a playmaking center, so it would make sense to have him setting up Frolov and Cammy or JR on the wings.

Leave the line of Avery-Belanger-Kostopoulos together and when Valeri Bure returns, he will add speed playing with Robitaille and Armstrong.

Old
10-14-2005, 05:39 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

i've always felt that Frolov has one of the most ineffective shots....once he develops a nice wrister/snap shot, then we could start talking about 40+ goals...he has excellent balance in a slowed down game, but he seems to skate with his head down in the open ice, which could be a concern

Old
10-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Frolov and Demitra need to start shooting the puck. I don't know how many times already this season I have been shaking my head after seeing them attempt a pass while in a perfect shooting area.

Old
10-14-2005, 09:54 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Problem is that Conroy, Demitra and Frolov are all looking to pass first, shoot second. Get a grinder and a sniper on their line and it should be fine.

Brown-Roenick-Demitra
Frolov-Conroy-Cammalleri

Old
10-15-2005, 12:29 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
He does wonders with the puck in non-scoring areas of the offensive zone. I still see no shot, no speed and I fail to see this superstar King fans want him to be. He looks like he wants to be a center with his inability to shoot the puck but since he never goes to the middle of the ice he is stuck on wing. The new NHL rules may have hurt his game more than anybody on the Kings.

Old
10-15-2005, 01:19 AM
Osprey

Frolov will be fine. His strength is possession and this will become even easier with the new rules, but Frolov has to adjust. I think that he's still playing as though players are draped over him. Once he realizes how much room he has and how little defenders can impede him now, he'll be a monster. The new rules aren't bad for him; it's just that he is a little slow to adapt to them.

Frolov also needs to get on the same page with his other winger. They should develop some set plays where Alex holds onto the puck (his strength) and Pavol gets into position in the slot for the pass. If they try this every time that they're out there, I think that lots of goals will come. Right now, though, it appears that Frolov doesn't know what the plan is. He holds onto the puck, hoping that a bright idea will come to his head, and then either loses the puck or hands it off in the corner in a semi-cycling routine. Make Demitra get open for a shot and tell Frolov to make it his priority to dish the puck to him. Foolproof set plays (other than endless cycling, which is what you do when you don't have any idea what to do) are key to breaking the utter confusion in the offensive zone that I'm seeing from both of the top two lines, IMO.

Old
10-15-2005, 05:28 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

That's not on Frolov. It's on Demitra. He's the one that needs to anticpate what Frolov is going to do and get into position. Hell, at least go to the net.

Old
10-15-2005, 10:43 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo

In my view he is hanging on to the puck way too much.

Old
10-16-2005, 12:26 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzerson
In my view he is hanging on to the puck way too much.
Agreed... he needs to shoot the puck more and stop looking for the perfect play. I really think playing Brown on the top line with him will do wonders for both.

Old
10-16-2005, 01:19 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
I really think playing Brown on the top line with him will do wonders for both.
Aren't they both left-wingers, though? I'd be afraid that moving Brown to right wing would throw him off of his game. He's also the only top-6 that has been good in every game so far, so making him move would seem a little unfair to me. I'd like to see Frolov back on the top line. JR can bang in the corners and Cammalleri is actually fairly good at working in tight spaces.

Last edited by Osprey: 10-16-2005 at 05:29 AM.
Closed Thread