HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton-Pittsburgh Trade Idea/Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2003, 08:06 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
Edmonton-Pittsburgh Trade Idea/Proposal

I figure Mario Lemieux would love to have a young talented scorer on his team that makes a reasonable rate. Comrie, would be a good fit there I think. It's not like he's asking for a huge amount of money. Lowe is only offering a 10% raise on his base salary which is 1.2 Million. Comrie would sign almost for sure for 2 million per year.

Pittsburgh has the stud defensemen prospects that Edmonton is definitely looking for. I'm wondering what people would think about this

To Edmonton

Ryan Whitney or Brooks Orpik
Pit's 2nd round pick 2004 (would be like a late first rounder)
Kris Beech

To Pittsburgh

Mike Comrie
2nd round pick 2004

Old
10-08-2003, 08:08 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I figure Mario Lemieux would love to have a young talented scorer on his team that makes a reasonable rate. Comrie, would be a good fit there I think. It's not like he's asking for a huge amount of money. Lowe is only offering a 10% raise on his base salary which is 1.2 Million. Comrie would sign almost for sure for 2 million per year.

Pittsburgh has the stud defensemen prospects that Edmonton is definitely looking for. I'm wondering what people would think about this

To Edmonton

Ryan Whitney or Brooks Orpik
Pit's 2nd round pick 2004 (would be like a late first rounder)
Kris Beech

To Pittsburgh

Mike Comrie
2nd round pick 2004
Comrie is a good young player, but that is an alwful lot of return to expect.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:14 PM
Ozy_Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Comrie is a good young player, but that is an alwful lot of return to expect.
I wouldn't say so Darth. I'd say Comrie is atleast worth a 1st round pick, and that's what Ryan Whitney exactly is. Plus, Edmonton is throwing in a 2nd, so I think this is actually almost fair, except that Beech needs to be changed to something a little less.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:18 PM
RedRumNJD

Not a bad proposal, but Edmonton is asking a little much. Besides, just because Lowe isn't willing to pay Comrie, that doesn't mean Comrie doesn't want more money. What I mean is, if Comrie ever ended up in Pittsburgh, he would soon price himself out of Pittsburgh and leave for another team. It would not be a wise investment on the part of the Pens. I also think Beech still has potential to be a first-line-caliber player, though some of my fellow Pens fans are starting to throw in the towel on him. Try:

To Pit: Comrie

To Edm: Ryan Whitney + 2nd Rounder, 2004

Seems more realistic to me. I'm not saying I want Comrie, but I think that proposal is a little more fair. Thoughts?

Old
10-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
I wouldn't say so Darth. I'd say Comrie is atleast worth a 1st round pick, and that's what Ryan Whitney exactly is. Plus, Edmonton is throwing in a 2nd, so I think this is actually almost fair, except that Beech needs to be changed to something a little less.
Whitney was a top 5 pick.
Comrie isn't worth a top 5 pick.
At the very least I would trade him straight up. No need to add anything.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
Disagree. I think Ryan Whitney is too high level a prospect. On the other hand, if it was Brooks Orpik, I think it would be closer to fair.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:41 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Disagree. I think Ryan Whitney is too high level a prospect. On the other hand, if it was Brooks Orpik, I think it would be closer to fair.
As an Oilers fan, I'd rather have Orpik than Whitney.. despite their relative draft positions, I think Orpik will turn out to be a much better NHL player than Whitney. Likewise, I'm starting to question Beech as a potential top-6 forward.. I know he's still young but he hasn't shown me too much as of yet.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:41 PM
Alex Kovalev

Id rather keep Whitney and Orpik, and then draft a forward this year who should be better then Comrie one day.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:42 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
I'll go out on a limb and disagree. I believe the complete opposite.

When drafed, Ryan Whitney was considered a higher rated prospect than Brooks Orpik, but Orpik's physical and defensive game have matured enough that the Penguins entrust him more than Whitney.

Whitney definitely still has more potential, but at the moment I feel Orpik is simply a more solid defenseman.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:45 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Comrie is a great young player who scored 30 goals in his first full season in the NHL. He scored 20 goals the next season despite playing a large portion of it with a broken hand.

Whitney was a top 5 pick that is struggling in the NCAA. He's got a long way to go before he even gets close to the NHL.

I think something would without a doubt have to be added.

Old
10-08-2003, 09:00 PM
Croc

Send a message via ICQ to Croc
correction, is a top 5 pick that WAS struggling in NCAA and he was playing injured for the 1st half of the season his play really improved towards the end of the season (from what ive heard/read) . Why would we trade two former 1st rounders for a unsigned under sized centre that we cant even guarantee will play in a pens uniform?

Maybe
Beech
Welch

For
Comrie

Old
10-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croc
Maybe
Beech
Welch

For
Comrie
I can't see Lowe even considering this deal.. neither of these players would help the Oilers at all this season. At the moment, Beech is no better than Reasoner/Horcoff/Stoll at center and likely wouldn't even play for us this season. Welch, though a decent prospect, looks like he still needs some seasoning and would not beat out Ferguson/Luoma/Bergeron for a spot. I think this trade undervalues Comrie by a fair bit.. it would likely take at least one of Whitney/Orpik to spark Lowe's interest in a deal.

Old
10-08-2003, 09:48 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
neither is whitney.. that argument can be made as well

Old
10-08-2003, 10:03 PM
GoRyanMalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box
neither is whitney.. that argument can be made as well
If his value has diminished... then why trade him now? He's on track to have an awesome year.

I think we all know that when you dump salary, you don't get a fair return.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:06 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
i'm not 100% sure on your comment.. i was simply referring to the fact that.. if someone offered him alone on here for a top five pick this year, or last year, or next year.. it'd be thrown out like yesterday's news...

so countering "comrie is worth a first round pick" with "whitney was a top five pick, comrie isn't worth a top five pick".. is not very valid imo.. as neither is whitney...

or i could just not be understanding your post...

Old
10-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Croc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I can't see Lowe even considering this deal.. neither of these players would help the Oilers at all this season. At the moment, Beech is no better than Reasoner/Horcoff/Stoll at center and likely wouldn't even play for us this season. Welch, though a decent prospect, looks like he still needs some seasoning and would not beat out Ferguson/Luoma/Bergeron for a spot. I think this trade undervalues Comrie by a fair bit.. it would likely take at least one of Whitney/Orpik to spark Lowe's interest in a deal.
Neither would your original trade? Whitney is in college no? The only dman we have who would help you out this year is Orpik but i doubt CP would move him for a 5-9 holdout we cant afford. All our other dmen are too injury prone(Rozy, Melichar) too old(Bergevin) or too crap(the rest) maybe Tarnstrom but we'd have to add something else obviously
Hypothetically if we did trade for Comrie and signed him for say 2 mill with the potential to make up to 4 mill through bonuses.(playing with Lemieux its a high possibility). If he and Fluery both had good years we'd just have trade one of the 2 and it dam well wouldnt be Fluery. Comrie aint a good fit in the burgh.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:19 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Neither would your original trade? Comrie aint a good fit in the burgh.
Heh the original trade was not mine.. I do agree with what you said. I just think that the Oilers would need someone like Whitney or Orpik to make the deal at least feasible.. they won't want two young guys that aren't neccessarily better than a lot of the guys they already have. I personally don't think a trade between Pittsburgh and Edmonton is likely at all. However, I am getting sick of people bringing up the "5'9" card.. Comrie has proven he can fight off checks and score at the NHL level! Granted he is small but it shouldn't play as large a factor as many posters are believing it will.. the only situation in which I see it being a big deterrent is if a team already has another top-line center that is small in stature (Ie. Buffalo with Drury, Briere).

Old
10-08-2003, 10:23 PM
GoRyanMalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box
i'm not 100% sure on your comment.. i was simply referring to the fact that.. if someone offered him alone on here for a top five pick this year, or last year, or next year.. it'd be thrown out like yesterday's news...

so countering "comrie is worth a first round pick" with "whitney was a top five pick, comrie isn't worth a top five pick".. is not very valid imo.. as neither is whitney...

or i could just not be understanding your post...
ATM, maybe, but I believe Ryan is very capable of regaining his status within the year. His game is still the same, but the numbers weren't there last year. He's descibed as coachable. Chances are, he get's his game all back, probably.

My propasal:

Comrie

for

Morozov and a debatable pick

or

Straka and a later pick

Old
10-08-2003, 10:23 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

i think...

Pittsburgh and Edmonton would make good trading partners.

But i don't think the oilers have a place for kris beech and would be looking for more of an offensive threat.

Maybe a deal based around this could be worked out:

To Edmonton:Surovy/Koltsov (preferably Koltsov because his speed would be deadly in edmonton) and Whitney/Orpik (preferably whoever is more NHL ready.

To Pittsburgh: Mike Comrie and a 4th rounder

Old
10-08-2003, 10:30 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by salostyle

But i don't think the oilers have a place for kris beech and would be looking for more of an offensive threat.

To Edmonton:Surovy/Koltsov (preferably Koltsov because his speed would be deadly in edmonton) and Whitney/Orpik (preferably whoever is more NHL ready.

I think a slightly higher pick would be needed but I like that deal. I heard Mario has a hard-on for Koltsov I think we would have a better chance going after Surovy.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:40 PM
GoRyanMalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
I think a slightly higher pick would be needed but I like that deal. I heard Mario has a hard-on for Koltsov I think we would have a better chance going after Surovy.
Me thinks comrie is hold out for a while. A loooooong while.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:49 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazor
Me thinks comrie is hold out for a while. A loooooong while.
I don't like ur trades from an Edmonton perspective Comrie is farther in development then Morozov(Mr. Injury) at a younger age and a pick would definetly come our way and Straka is waaay to expensive for us. Does not bother me if Comrie holds out for a looooooong while its not like were paying for him

Old
10-08-2003, 10:53 PM
Croc

Quote:
Originally Posted by salostyle

For %!@#$ sake thats even worse now you want one of the two forward prospects we have who are actually showing some signs of development and your giving us a 4th rounder back. Again with the recent siging of Fluery i dont see how the Pens can afford Comrie without dumping Straka. And on top of all that you still want Whitney or Orpik thats laughable. If Whitney is really worth a 2/3 of Mike Comrie to you Oiler fans then id rather keep Whitney.

Old
10-09-2003, 04:09 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Maybe
Beech
Welch

For
Comrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Welch, though a decent prospect, looks like he still needs some seasoning and would not beat out

The funny thing is Welch is probably the Penguins top prospect after M.A. Fleury and very likely could be better than either Whitney or Orpik. Welch might be the most under-rated prospect in the NHL.

Here's an article on Welch. Scroll down to "best player".

http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Arch.../ecac_0205.htm

Old
10-09-2003, 04:48 AM
PensFan68

Quote:
For %!@#$ sake thats even worse now you want one of the two forward prospects we have who are actually showing some signs of development and your giving us a 4th rounder back. Again with the recent siging of Fluery i dont see how the Pens can afford Comrie without dumping Straka. And on top of all that you still want Whitney or Orpik thats laughable. If Whitney is really worth a 2/3 of Mike Comrie to you Oiler fans then id rather keep Whitney.
I totally agree. Surovy is one of the very few pure goal scorers we have, and Koltsov played really well in the preseason. As for Whitney and Orpik, we aren't going to trade them without even seeing them in the NHL.

As I've said many times, a deal between the Oilers and Pens for Comrie isn't going to happen. Yes, I'd love to have him, but I don't think we should take the chance on giving up high prospects for someone that will only be here a year or two.

Closed Thread