HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Muckler lays down gauntlet with Havlat

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2003, 08:42 AM
SensGod

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Muckler lays down gauntlet with Havlat

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...89&hubName=nhl

Havlat has till 7:30pm tomorrow to sign or he will sit the whole year.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:58 AM
south-sentral

The sens would still do well without him, Havlat is not the team, Granted, the guy is one of the most exciting players to watch and rounds off the best right side in hockey. Havlat is worth more than 1.9 million dollars but fighting for a couple of thousand dollars is petty considering he has a GOOD chance at glory.

I hope Muckler's tactic works.

Down with Walsh.!!!

Old
10-08-2003, 12:03 PM
Epoch

I agree with Muckler on this one. How can Havlat expect to get that much with the labor stoppage happening in less that a year?

Old
10-08-2003, 12:05 PM
MVP

Walsh is such an idiot.

Quote:
"If they want a counter-offer offer from us right now, then our not-so-serious offer is $10 million, $11 million, $12 million and $13 million," Walsh told the Ottawa Citizen.

Old
10-08-2003, 12:11 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Hope Muckler ''strategie'' fail . He play with fire and for only 500K .... How much Smolinsky had ?

Old
10-08-2003, 12:34 PM
Blackjack

you mean Brian Smolinski the unrestricted free agent?

Ottawa is talented enough to succeed without Havlat, and I'm glad they have the balls to do this.

Old
10-08-2003, 12:40 PM
mrhockey123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Hope Muckler ''strategie'' fail . He play with fire and for only 500K .... How much Smolinsky had ?
This is all about principal and not about a few K's

All these players lke Comrie and Gaborik and Havlat are holding out waiting for massive paydays well the GMs are saying enough is enough. I do not want to turn this into yet another CBA debate thread, but FINALY the owners are starting to see that by just rolling overa nd paying these guys, is exactly how we got into this huge mess we're in now!

THe thing is none of these guys have any leverage. Sure theyre huge talents and their teams can not survive without them. I think Gaborik figured into 50 percent of all of Min's offense last year so that would be a huge blow. Comrie makes a huge impact for the oilers too, but I think the entire city is willing to deal with not having him around if he wants to cry over a few hundred thousand dollars especially given the fact that he got a total plum of a deal by holding Lowe over barrel with that stupid loophole to UFA

Old
10-08-2003, 12:42 PM
mrhockey123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack
you mean Brian Smolinski the unrestricted free agent?

Ottawa is talented enough to succeed without Havlat, and I'm glad they have the balls to do this.

obviously this is exactly what i just wrote in my post (we must have been writing at the same time.)

An UFA has LEVERAGE. He can sign wherever. But an RFA is stuck to his team unless some other team is dumb enough to spend a truckload of cash and lock up a player right before the CBA ends especially given the fact that the signing team would have to surrender draft picks - how foolhearty would that be!

Old
10-08-2003, 02:00 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey123

obviously this is exactly what i just wrote in my post (we must have been writing at the same time.)

An UFA has LEVERAGE. He can sign wherever. But an RFA is stuck to his team unless some other team is dumb enough to spend a truckload of cash and lock up a player right before the CBA ends especially given the fact that the signing team would have to surrender draft picks - how foolhearty would that be!
Your post made me think about something. Let's say a rival organization(let's take a random team : the leafs ) want to cheapshot the sens they could make a $2,836,589/year offer for 3 years. They would only have to cough up two 1st and a 2nd. Which is not that big of a price to pay for Havlat. Or the sens would equal the offer which would defeat their purpose of signing to a lower salary. Either way the leafs would win. Thoughts ?

Old
10-08-2003, 02:03 PM
SensGod

Apparently the standing offer from the Sens is 1.35 million for one year. Let's see how this ball rolls.

Old
10-08-2003, 02:06 PM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
Your post made me think about something. Let's say a rival organization(let's take a random team : the leafs ) want to cheapshot the sens they could make a $2,836,589/year offer for 3 years. They would only have to cough up two 1st and a 2nd. Which is not that big of a price to pay for Havlat. Or the sens would equal the offer which would defeat their purpose of signing to a lower salary. Either way the leafs would win. Thoughts ?
Booooooooooooo!

Don't the Sens have the opportunity to match that...but in Canadian funds and the NHL picks up the difference????

Old
10-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Booooooooooooo!

Don't the Sens have the opportunity to match that...but in Canadian funds and the NHL picks up the difference????
Don't get me wrong. I love the sens and the leafs aren't exactly my favourite team. I'd hate it if something like that happened. Anyway great point about canadian team being able to match with canadian money. I guess it doesn't work after all.

Old
10-08-2003, 02:24 PM
Youreallygotme

thats 1.9 mil a year right? over two years that is too low

Old
10-08-2003, 02:54 PM
flyrfan

Send a message via Yahoo to flyrfan
I hope Havlat signs.

Old
10-08-2003, 03:01 PM
Looger

60 points seems to really be a breking point for players' leverage. havlat had 59 last season, close...

but ottawa is as successful as it is partly because they don't waste money. take the start of last season for example. they dump jani hurme and promote prusek, publicly expressing that money had a lot to do with it, going from 900K to 300K for a backup. not too far away in montreal meanwhile, hackett's making 3.6M as a backup!

Old
10-08-2003, 03:12 PM
loveshack2

Just to clarify, Bob Mackenzie reported tonight on TSN that the offer from the Senators is for 1yr $1.35 million and that the Havlat camp has countered with an offer of 1yr $1.97 million.

Old
10-08-2003, 03:18 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

While I understand Muckler's point and I really hope he wins this one and no team tries to jump in a make an RFA offer sheet, I have never understood the point of going public with this sort of stuff. If Havlat doesn't sign, then what? You've likely cuased a rift big enough for Havlat to hold out for a trade. And if you decide that you would like to change your offer and then Havlat signs, you look foolish becuase you are on the public record saying that he would sit all year. Why not just keep it under wraps and tell the Havlat camp that your offer is the best offer they will get and they can sign it at anytime, but they can sit until they sign? Leave the door open, but keep firm to your stance. why deadline things? It rarely solves the issue, especially in front of the potential labor dispute, and only causes problems.

Old
10-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

If the Sens think that sticking to their guns with regards to the contract terms is the right thing to do then they should do it, but this "sign now or sit for the year" ultimatum stuff is pure nonsense. Why intentionally deprive yourself of a potential asset to make a point that no one cares about to begin with? The Sens will come out looking really stupid if at the trade deadline they feel the need to add another scorer and end up taking on salary and losing players all because they can't take a practical approach to player negotiations.

EDIT: I certainly wouldn't mind seeing my Wings throw an offer at Havlat...

Old
10-08-2003, 03:29 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
EDIT: I certainly wouldn't mind seeing my Wings throw an offer at Havlat...
Another team would place a higher bid and it would eventually turn into a 29-team auction. In the end, Walsh will get his "not-so-serious offer" ($10 million, $11 million, $12 million and $13 million).

Old
10-08-2003, 03:29 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks&flames
thats 1.9 mil a year right? over two years that is too low
This, in my opinion, is what is wrong. At 1.9 mill, it is 4X what he made last year I beleive (I think he made 500K last year, but I can't find it anywhere). So, 4X his salary is too low? People are consumed by what other are making as an example. One bad contract and every similair player will get the same contract. I know this is not the same as the real world, but the fact is if you or me tried this at our jobs, we would be walking the picket lines IMMEDIATELY. Not really sure how to correct it, but something has to be enacted to correct the raises players are getting.

Old
10-08-2003, 03:43 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan
This, in my opinion, is what is wrong. At 1.9 mill, it is 4X what he made last year I beleive (I think he made 500K last year, but I can't find it anywhere).

According to www.hockeyzoneplus.com Havlat made $960K last season.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:01 PM
XX
... Waiting

Which is a friggin bargain

Muckler needs to spend if he wants a competitive team
Besides, Havlat is on my fantasy team, so he better play

Old
10-08-2003, 04:09 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
According to www.hockeyzoneplus.com Havlat made $960K last season.
Thank you. still, 1.9 mill doubles his salary.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:36 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
I've been on the Senators side through most of this, but now they are starting to get ridiculous.

As I said on one Sens board, and what I've been thinking all along, they should at least offer him the league average. I understand they've gotten ahead in the league by spending wisely, but they aren't going to be able to keep everyone as low a salary as possible forever.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:04 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan
Thank you. still, 1.9 mill doubles his salary.
He wasn't offered 1.9/year for 2 years (3.8 in total). He was offered 1.9 for 2 years (1.9 in total) or somewhere pretty close to that. If you ask me that is a lowball offer for one of the most promising young players in the game right now.

Hopefully they will compromise and he will sign a one year deal for 1.5 or so. I hate seeing the most talented players sit out a season.

Closed Thread