HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tuomo Ruutu

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2003, 08:09 PM
outKast*

vCash: 500
Tuomo Ruutu

Man, this kid is the real deal. I just saw the Chicago game and everything that was said about him is true. He's an amazing playmaker and his skill level for his age is unbelievable. He made a few rookie mistakes but overall he played great. His on ice vision and hockey sense is what sets him apart from the other players. I would be so happy if Tuomo and Ales got to play together. They would make an unreal firstline for years to come.

Do you think Chicago would go for

Comrie + something

for

Ruutu

If you're excited about Hemsky, wait til you see how good Ruutu is. I definitey think that Ruutu a clear cut candidate for the Calder this year. Did any of you get to see him play too? i hope im not overating him too much but hey thats my honest opinion.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:19 PM
Cerebral

There is almost NO way that Chicago will trade away Ruutu. He is the player that Smith is building the club around and will quite likely end up being an extremely strong two-way forward a la Forsberg. The only way I could see the moving him is in a case of extreme overpaying by another GM, like Comrie + Brewer..

Old
10-08-2003, 08:19 PM
FacelessButcher

Chicago has sucked ass for so many years I really think it would just be in their best interests to do no trades what so ever except a careful little bit of nit-picking. Cause all their high draft picks r coming up ands if they can keep signing them they will be a pretty good team.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:21 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
There is almost NO way that Chicago will trade away Ruutu. He is the player that Smith is building the club around and will quite likely end up being an extremely strong two-way forward a la Forsberg. The only way I could see the moving him is in a case of extreme overpaying by another GM, like Comrie + Brewer..
yeah that's what i thought. I wouldnt want to overpay for him though. If we pull off a Comrie for Ruutu then LOWE is a genius. hahaha

Old
10-08-2003, 08:25 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Yep, he's a great kid - but His scoring potential is up there though - he'll be a GREAT first liner who's gritty, good defensively, and puts up first line numbers (but will never be among league leaders, lMO)

Old
10-08-2003, 08:25 PM
Mizral

I totally agree!

I saw Ruutu play one full game so far, & clips of tonights game as well as hilites from SM-Liiga, and the first thing I said to myself is: Wow, this kid is exactly like Forsberg.

Ruutu has absolutely tremendous upside. He has the potential to be a Peter Forsberg-esque type of player out there. I do not know if he'll ever be quite as a prolific scorer (I see Ruutu as more of a 70-80 point man, rather than a 90 - 100 point man), but he plays with even more sandpaper than Forsberg. And one real interesting thing about Ruutu - he is a HELL of an open ice hitter.

In a way, Ruutu plays, actually, more like Mike Peca.

They say he's an incredible leader, too.

(PS: If you think he's great, check out Kari Lehtonen. Talking to Finnish fans, Lehtonen was THE dominant player in the Finnish league, even moreso than Ruutu & others)

Old
10-08-2003, 08:29 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
(PS: If you think he's great, check out Kari Lehtonen. Talking to Finnish fans, Lehtonen was THE dominant player in the Finnish league, even moreso than Ruutu & others)
I'm starting to get scared of Finland.. they're going to have one hell of a national team in a few years when Ruutu and company grow up a bit!

Old
10-08-2003, 08:30 PM
oildrop

Did Lehtonen make the Opening Day Roster for Atlanta?

Old
10-08-2003, 08:31 PM
outKast*

Yeah but can Finland match Canada? We have Luongo, M-A Fleury, Horton, Staal, Jackman etc. haha just teasing.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
No. The Thrashers website lists him as "In the System", so I think he's in the AHL.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
No, I'm pretty sure he got sent to the Chicago Wolves (AHL affilliate). However, Chicago looks (to me at least) to be the best AHL team next year. While I consider the AHL a better league than the Finnish top league, Lehtonen I believe will absolutely dominate there. I believe he will outplay even the best of the AHL (Emery, for instance [whom by the way I believe is very, very underraetd]).

Look out for this kid. He could be a Vezina winner in the future.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:45 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

IMO Kari is the best goalie prospect. Oulette, Fluery, Dipietro, Miller aren't as good or his potential IMO

Old
10-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
IMO Kari is the best goalie prospect. Oulette, Fluery, Dipietro, Miller aren't as good or his potential IMO
I agree. In fact, I think he's the best prospect - period.

However, there is a real big sleeper..

David LeNeveu. Last year for Cornell in the NCAA, he posted a 1.20 GAA, and lost something like, 1 or 2 games in 20+ games. And he's only 20.

Old
10-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:

David LeNeveu. Last year for Cornell in the NCAA, he posted a 1.20 GAA, and lost something like, 1 or 2 games in 20+ games. And he's only 20.
he couldn't even back up Fluery at the world jrs last year should have JDD there hahaha

Old
10-08-2003, 09:28 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I agree. In fact, I think he's the best prospect - period.

However, there is a real big sleeper..

Ya, he's a good prospect as well - but individual performance (David can credit alot to the team infront of him and vice versa as well). Kari is fantastic - he gives me a .............. Patrick Roy vibe..... I dunno...

Old
10-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

T Ruutu is special, if we wanted him, I think that we would have to sacrifice alot of talent.

Hemsky, Brewer, 3nd rounder or
Comrie, Rita, 1st Rounder or
Salo, Comrie, 3rd rounder or
Comrie, Chimera, 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder or
Smyth, Rita, 1st rounder.

These might seem colassal to you guys, but he is a special player that won't be givin up without a fight. they are building their franchise around this guy and he has the "complete" game that shadows that of P. Foresburg, with great vision and offensive ability.

If you think that this is too much to give up for one player, here is what Philly gave Quebec for Lindros.

1. Ron Hextall, (in his prime)
2. Peter Forsberg,
3. Steve Duchesne,
4. Kerry Huffman,
5. Mike Ricci, (in his prime)
6. Chris Simon,
7. 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993,
8. 1st round selection ( Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994 and
9. and a few million dollars in cash.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:36 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
T Ruutu is special, if we wanted him, I think that we would have to sacrifice alot of talent.

These might seem colassal to you guys, but he is a special player that won't be givin up without a fight. they are building their franchise around this guy and he has the "complete" game that shadows that of P. Foresburg, with great vision and offensive ability.
And that's why it's not worth trading for him, would take way too much.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Might be an unpopular opinion, but if Smith offered Ruutu for Comrie and Brewer I would take that deal and run like a madman.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:00 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Might be an unpopular opinion, but if Smith offered Ruutu for Comrie and Brewer I would take that deal and run like a madman.
No thanks and iat has nothing to do with Ruutu. The Oilers are weak on defense and they can't trade their top defender without getting one in return. Lowe would be criticized and chased out of town if that trade ever happened. Lowe's getting criticized too much as it is.

10-08-2003, 11:16 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
No thanks and iat has nothing to do with Ruutu. The Oilers are weak on defense and they can't trade their top defender without getting one in return. Lowe would be criticized and chased out of town if that trade ever happened. Lowe's getting criticized too much as it is.
I agree.. although Ruutu sure would help our size down the middle problem! Can you imagine a line of Smyth/Isbister - Ruutu - Mikhnov down the road.. that line would be a nightmare to play against for any team! It would almost make me forget about Brewer and Comrie..

Old
10-08-2003, 11:40 PM
choppystride

Quote:

Ruutu is good but let's not get overly excited...

Quote:
If you think that this is too much to give up for one player, here is what Philly gave Quebec for Lindros.

2. Peter Forsberg,
3. Steve Duchesne,
4. Kerry Huffman,
6. Chris Simon,
And I bet Philly fans rue the trade to this day...

Old
10-09-2003, 03:29 AM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
i do any of those trades not involving Hemsky and i run away giggling like a little girl...

hehehe*more giggling cuz i'm just so damned happy hehehehehehehehehe *running and giggling*

Old
10-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
isn''t ruutu's contract loaded with bonuses?

Old
10-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Mizral

Quote:

2. Peter Forsberg,
3. Steve Duchesne,
4. Kerry Huffman,
6. Chris Simon,

Just thought I'd say..

the 'few million dollars' in cash was $15 million.

Closed Thread