HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens Prospects as trade bait?

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2005, 11:54 PM
adrianbarclay

vCash: 500
Pens Prospects as trade bait?

Obviously we have a plethora of talented prospects - probably more than we can handle, and a few NHL roster holes to be filled in the coming seasons.

So who would you use as trade bait amongst this group? I'm sure if we were looking good going into the playoffs that we might use a couple of these guys in order to strengthen up going into the post season.

I think it is inevitable as the Pens move into an era of success on the ice as a priority that some of these guys will go. Personally as a prospect writer, this era of unprecedented prospect wealth will be sadly missed but as I said - inevitable.

Old
10-14-2005, 12:04 AM
DJ Spinoza

I think a guy like Stone could be dangled out there. The Pens have Crosby and Malkin for the top two lines, and I don't think it is out of the question that Talbot could be a third line center for them in the future, maybe even captain material or at least an alternate.

Stone has a good pedigree and would probably be a pretty enticing centerpiece in a trade for something that could help out now.

I would not move Whitney or Welch unless the offer was too good to pass up.

Old
10-14-2005, 12:07 AM
No Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
I think a guy like Stone could be dangled out there. The Pens have Crosby and Malkin for the top two lines, and I don't think it is out of the question that Talbot could be a third line center for them in the future, maybe even captain material or at least an alternate.

Stone has a good pedigree and would probably be a pretty enticing centerpiece in a trade for something that could help out now.

I would not move Whitney or Welch unless the offer was too good to pass up.

I'd have to disagree with you on that one.
Stone is my favorite prospect and I'd be pretty bummed out if we traded him.
I'd consider dangling Salmonson before Stone.

Old
10-14-2005, 12:55 AM
adrianbarclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Allman
I'd have to disagree with you on that one.
Stone is my favorite prospect and I'd be pretty bummed out if we traded him.
I'd consider dangling Salmonson before Stone.
If you like Stone, do you rate him above Talbot? If Talbot stays and becomes third line center, there is only limited opportunities for Stone, Christensen etc. Neither of them would make suitable fourth line centers - actually Stone maybe.

I like Stone too, but he does present good trade value and I'm sure other teams have already eyed him off knowing our depth at his position

Old
10-14-2005, 01:12 AM
No Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianbarclay
If you like Stone, do you rate him above Talbot? If Talbot stays and becomes third line center, there is only limited opportunities for Stone, Christensen etc. Neither of them would make suitable fourth line centers - actually Stone maybe.

I like Stone too, but he does present good trade value and I'm sure other teams have already eyed him off knowing our depth at his position
I really don't know anything about Talbot except for what I've been reading the past couple of years and the few games I've watched him play recently.
It just seems to me that he's alot like John Madden, so I think he'd make an awesome 4th line/energy line center.
I'd love to see our 4 steady centers end up being Crosby, Malkin, Stone, and Talbot and I would gaurentee that would be by far the best group in the NHL in 3 or 4 years.

Old
10-14-2005, 02:22 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

While we do have some holes on our team, and while I would love to see the Pens be legitimate Stanley Cup contenders this year, it would not really be wise to mortgage the future for this season.

As great as it would be for Mario to win the Cup before he retires, it's not going to happen with this team unless we somehow gain 2 top 4 defenseman, play Fleury in goal, and have Edzo coach as if he is Joel Quenville, Lindy Ruff, Patt Burns, or one of the other premier coaches in the NHL.

The only reason why the Pens should considering trading away great young talent for veterans is to further ignite the excitement in the city in the hopes that it will aid them in building a new arena.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the Pens make a great trade for a dman that would make sense for the short and long term, but I really do not think it will happen. Solid, young defensemen are the toughest commodity to find in the NHL, and outside of the players that I would deem untouchable (Fleury, Crosby, Malone, Malkin, Whitney, Welch), we don't really have anyone that is going to land us that kind of player.

The truth is, this team can get better internally. If Whitney was brought up and Fleury was our starting goaltender, we would instantly be a better team. This team is brand new with a ton of new faces, some new to the NHL, many who have never played together before. With time, they will be much improved, at least to the point of being competitive for a playoff spot.

At the same time, we could probably swing a minor deal or two at the deadline that would make us much better, or perhaps shed some salary to help out our payroll for next year so we can make some more moves then. I'd wait a little longer before I start to panic. CP is a shrewed GM.

Next year, Whitney, Welch, Fleury and Malkin should all be regular contributors on this team and play premier roles. Added to star players we have and more experience for our young coach (or even a new one), next year is the year that we will be in a position where we can truly be competitive to make a serious playoff run.

Old
10-14-2005, 03:15 AM
adrianbarclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm
While we do have some holes on our team, and while I would love to see the Pens be legitimate Stanley Cup contenders this year, it would not really be wise to mortgage the future for this season.

As great as it would be for Mario to win the Cup before he retires, it's not going to happen with this team unless we somehow gain 2 top 4 defenseman, play Fleury in goal, and have Edzo coach as if he is Joel Quenville, Lindy Ruff, Patt Burns, or one of the other premier coaches in the NHL.

The only reason why the Pens should considering trading away great young talent for veterans is to further ignite the excitement in the city in the hopes that it will aid them in building a new arena.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the Pens make a great trade for a dman that would make sense for the short and long term, but I really do not think it will happen. Solid, young defensemen are the toughest commodity to find in the NHL, and outside of the players that I would deem untouchable (Fleury, Crosby, Malone, Malkin, Whitney, Welch), we don't really have anyone that is going to land us that kind of player.

The truth is, this team can get better internally. If Whitney was brought up and Fleury was our starting goaltender, we would instantly be a better team. This team is brand new with a ton of new faces, some new to the NHL, many who have never played together before. With time, they will be much improved, at least to the point of being competitive for a playoff spot.

At the same time, we could probably swing a minor deal or two at the deadline that would make us much better, or perhaps shed some salary to help out our payroll for next year so we can make some more moves then. I'd wait a little longer before I start to panic. CP is a shrewed GM.

Next year, Whitney, Welch, Fleury and Malkin should all be regular contributors on this team and play premier roles. Added to star players we have and more experience for our young coach (or even a new one), next year is the year that we will be in a position where we can truly be competitive to make a serious playoff run.
I agree with you about the untouchable players and that this year may not see a huge number of prospects leave the organization.

Even with the internal building program, there are still a number of prospects who will not get a chance with the Pens, but may make an NHL impact elsewhere.

Old
10-14-2005, 09:48 AM
thunder

I disagree with not being willing to trade a value player. If they are keeping everyone with potential to be good, what are they hoping to aquire? Why trade? Trading Armstrong, Chiodo,Ouellet, and Drew Fata is going to get minimal return. The salary cap is going to eventually require "home grown" talent.They aren't going to be able to keep all the stars, or sign all the free agents. What is the cap going to look like w/ Fleury,Crosby,Malkin,Whitney,Welch,Malone in a few yrs? Guess high 20's low 30's. There is always, the homer evaluation, of over value. In my opinion Craig, did a good job preparing for the new NHL. He stacked the Farm with the best quality the Pen's have probably ever had. He brought in players to help w/developing the young players. In the next couple of years, who is going to be left out of the top six,that are here now? Identifing the core players, and developing young players will be key. Trading older players,prospects, or unsignable players for draft picks,young players,stop gap,or replacement (for something that's not in the farm) will need to be done to stay competitive for the long run. I feel, competitive also is the young players that deserve to be in Pgh should be there,Fleury Whitney. How else do they establish competion. As long as it does not deter the players deveopement.

Closed Thread