HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So I just got back . . .

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2005, 04:44 PM
You 'Orns!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
So I just got back . . .

from a 3 week trip to Australia, and I got to see the Rangers play finally against the Devils . Needless to say, I'm very happy. As my friend said: "what's going on, the Rangers look like a team!" Hossa was a bit of a shock to see on the ice (even though I did manage to catch that the Rangers had traded Murray for him). GREAT to FINALLY see Prucha!

My thoughts: they played well, but not necessarily any better than Rangers teams that have started well in the last few years. The 3rd and 4th lines look great -- I'm not too worried about there being no enforcer (besides, isn't Peter Worrell in our system now? Or is it Andreas Lilja - old joke). The Garden still sounds eerily quiet, especially for a Rangers/Devils game. I especially liked that Renney did not sound satisfied in the post-game interview. Good sign.

Anyways, we had promised Padawan to keep him updated on Jarkko Immonen, and I had agreed to keep a thread updated on his stats. Did anyone else start one already? Would it be better to run it here or on the Finland board?

Old
10-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
It'd be quite funny if you didnt hear about the trade, heard "Hossa" on our PP and thought.. "NO WAY... MARIAN HOSSA??!?!"

Old
10-14-2005, 05:48 PM
Levitate

i've heard from the people who went to the game, that the garden was pretty loud. it apparently just didn't translate over the TV. can't confirm that though since i didn't go to the game

Old
10-14-2005, 06:10 PM
in the hall

welcome back, yes the new rangers are deffinitely a nice change, even when they lose the effort is something to be happy about

Old
10-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Australia! Awesome ! I want to go. How was it?

Old
10-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
from a 3 week trip to Australia, and I got to see the Rangers play finally against the Devils . Needless to say, I'm very happy. As my friend said: "what's going on, the Rangers look like a team!" Hossa was a bit of a shock to see on the ice (even though I did manage to catch that the Rangers had traded Murray for him). GREAT to FINALLY see Prucha!

My thoughts: they played well, but not necessarily any better than Rangers teams that have started well in the last few years. The 3rd and 4th lines look great -- I'm not too worried about there being no enforcer (besides, isn't Peter Worrell in our system now? Or is it Andreas Lilja - old joke). The Garden still sounds eerily quiet, especially for a Rangers/Devils game. I especially liked that Renney did not sound satisfied in the post-game interview. Good sign.

Anyways, we had promised Padawan to keep him updated on Jarkko Immonen, and I had agreed to keep a thread updated on his stats. Did anyone else start one already? Would it be better to run it here or on the Finland board?
How can you say that? The Rangers have not once looked like this in the last 7 seasons.

Old
10-15-2005, 09:36 AM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large_Farva
How can you say that? The Rangers have not once looked like this in the last 7 seasons.
I don't remember the Rangers playing a great 1st period in atleast 5 years; this team is definetly different than all predicesors and IMO a solid playoff team.

Old
10-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Fletch

I don't know why...

people have been saying the Rangers haven't looked like this in 7 years..there's been spurts of 10+ games, just about in each season, in which the Rangers looked good, actually often dominant. It usually occured before the New Year as this team always seems to slide late in December. To start the season amy be a different story, but for a stretch of 5 games, or even 10 games? I think we can pull that together.

Old
10-15-2005, 10:37 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
people have been saying the Rangers haven't looked like this in 7 years..there's been spurts of 10+ games, just about in each season, in which the Rangers looked good, actually often dominant. It usually occured before the New Year as this team always seems to slide late in December. To start the season amy be a different story, but for a stretch of 5 games, or even 10 games? I think we can pull that together.
Well, I have yet to see a game too, but the impression I'm getting is about the EFFORT, not necessarily domination. I would agree that there have been stretches in each of the previous seasons where the team looked like they could win, but it was usually based on dominant skill plays, where guys like Lindros would get hot and carry the team. Again, I have yet to see a game (maybe some tonight?), but it sounds like for the first time in years we've got a team that goes out and busts it's hump (I should say the team busts it's hump more often than not - no team can show that kind of effort every period for 80 games).

Old
10-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Fletch

There's a different feel...

when we last left off with the Rangers, they sucked. After sucking for a couple months straight, they purged the lineup and continued to suck, albeit with young guys with hope. That was nearly two years ago from its start, and about 18 months ago from its finish. And here we are, with a fresh start, especially with a re-vamped organization from near the top to the bottom, and it feels good.

They can't do this for 82 games, and I don't expect them to, and if they didn't I wouldn't immediately call it a failure. I'd still caution a bit because teams are working out the kinks. Some offenses still aren't there. Some defenses still aren't there. Goaltending's shaky here and there. If they're still playing like this (winning or losing, but showing good effort and getting things done), I'll be happy. Like I said, we've been happy in each season, most likely, during the last seven seasons for spurts that were longer than this. They've had a playoff run. They've been in contention (an eigth spot) through the new year several times. We got excited with guys like Johnsson, York, Hlavac, Dvorak, Blackburn, Kloucek, and others at different, sometimes the same, times, all of whom were under 24 and getting significant ice time. We've seen domination and hard work. So this isn't new. It's fresh and exciting though.

Old
10-15-2005, 03:30 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
I don't think its fair, Fletch, to say that this team can only be worse on average from here on out after a good start. The last seven years the team has always started off horribly, and I see a few reasons why they couldn't maintain this play. You have to give the team some credit, right? You said it yourself, some teams are shaky coming off the start ... well don't you think the Rangers have been a little shaky also? I mean, they have way more questions to be answered to start this season compared to the other seasons ... Renney is still working out the kinks, mostly trying to figure who is going to do what for this team. Before, all the questions were answered with players like Bure to Holik to Greg Devries. Now all the answers we have have to come within our org. Now we have to ask is a player like Prucha valuble on a top line? Can Poti qb our defense? Are we giving Kondratiev and Tyutin too much responsibility to early on? When should we make Lundqvist the starting goalie? Are we tough enough to compete?

Fletch -- I don't think you or I or anyone thought this team could be this competitive at any interval at any time this season. The fans, media, etc. all penned the Rangers as finishing dead last.

Sure, there were spurts in which the Rangers played well over the last season... but during these spurts they did not play intense, or work hard, or even were exciting to watch. They simply underachieved a bit less which caused them to win more. You can't mention guys like Kloucek, Hlavac, etc. because they were only here for such a short time compared the years of buying stars and having them play lethargic hockey. We had nothing in the pipeline in terms of prospects which made free agency the only viable option for the team to "get better'.

Old
10-15-2005, 07:30 PM
You 'Orns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large_Farva
I can say this because I remember several times where the Rangers were playing well at the beginning of the season, even leading the league, only to totally colapse by mid-season. Also, it was only one game: the Devils played an anemic game, and the Rangers took advantage in the first period; the other two periods they looked ok, but not that special. The good news is that they didn't look that special to me, but they still ended up scoring as many goals (one) in the last two periods as their opponents.

Watching tonight's game against Atlanta (2nd period just ended as I type), I think they look great. Not mistake free, but really moving their legs and working. Fun to watch!

Old
10-15-2005, 07:38 PM
You 'Orns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
Australia! Awesome ! I want to go. How was it?
Australia was amazing. A really magical place. I went there for a wedding and I took the opportunity to backpack up and down the east Coast. I didn't love Melbourne, Surfers Paradise or Cairns, but I did love Noosa, Sydney and the natural beauty around Cairns (Brisbane seems quite pleasant, too). The best place was Cape Tribulation, where the ancient Daintree Rainforest comes right to the Coral Sea and the Great Barrier Reef -- there is nothing else like it in the world.

3 weeks was waaaaay too short a time to take my trip: I feel like I've seen the trailer to a movie and now I want to see the whole feature. I'm definitely going back soon fo a few months! (If you're from Canada or Europe, by the way, you can get a 1-year work/holiday visa that allows you to take short-term jobs to finance a long vacation in Oz. Americans only get 3 months.)

Old
10-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Fletch

dakose..

not sure where I said this team would not be competitive at any point of the season. I said something about sticking around, which could imply starting off well, but could also imply a lot of stuff. So, in essence, I made no game-by-game predicitions.

Old
10-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
For those saying they have played well in spurts, the most I really remember was up till Thanksgiving or so of 2002-2003.

We were first in the East on Thanksgiving day.

Old
10-15-2005, 11:22 PM
You 'Orns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
For those saying they have played well in spurts, the most I really remember was up till Thanksgiving or so of 2002-2003.

We were first in the East on Thanksgiving day.
True, but that was only "two" seasons ago -- and they looked very good at that time. "Last" year, granted, they were pretty awful throughout, but in most seasons there have been moments of very good play.

I'll agree that there is a big difference between this team and the ones before in that we have a lot of young players working hard, hopefully ones we can expect to be on this team for several seasons to come. That said, for this season at least, we're looking at a similar situation to the previous six or seven: we're starting the season with a bunch of players who are new to the team and to each other and who are still getting used to playing together.

Personally, I'm optimistic that this team will come together as a good platform to build off of, but I'm not expecting great hockey all season long.

Closed Thread