HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official GameThread: Ottawa Senators vs. New York Islanders (7 PM)

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Tom Liodice

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Official GameThread: Ottawa Senators vs. New York Islanders (7 PM)

http://newyorkislanders.com/gameday/pregame.html

Rivals Return (7:00 PM)
Ottawa Senators vs. New York Islanders

(Nov. 3) Much earlier than the team hoped for, the Islanders' 2002-03 season ended in the playoffs at the hands of the Ottawa Senators in five games. The Isles convincing grabbed Game 1 in a shutout in Ottawa, but the Sens took the next four - including a critical overtime Game 3 at the Coliseum that swung the series in Jacque Martin's squad's favor.
http://newyorkislanders.com/gameday/insider.html

The Insider: The Book On The Senators
Ottawa Senators vs. New York Islanders

(Nov. 3) The early season has seen much of the same hockey seen last season in Ottawa as the potent Senators offense has built up the kind of leads their solid defense have protected easily. With no real additions to the line-up, their success has been a testament to consistency.

Known for their skilled Europeans, they've begun to phase in a North American element to their attack, with late-season acquisition Bryan Smolinski re-upping this summer and wunderkind Jason Spezza taking a bigger role in his second NHL role. They've also dealt with injuries this season, as big contributors Mike Fisher (elbow injury) and Anton Volchenkov (concussion) are both out of commission.
http://newyorkislanders.com/gameday/scoop.html

The Scoop: Ottawa Senators

(Nov. 3) The Ottawa Senators come back to Long Island for the first time since last spring and the playoffs in which they ousted the Isles in five games. The Sens are looking to snap a two-game winless streak. In five road games this season, Ottawa is 3-2-0 while going 2-1-1 on home ice.
Well there ya go. I figured I might as well post the GameThread now because I probably won't be heard from at all during the day. Probably because it's my 20th birthday today. :p But I will try my best to give everyone the after-period updates for tonight. This, like the game against New Jersey, will be a testament to the Isles system and to their season. It's well chronicled that the Isles don't play well against Ottawa, but you never know...

~TL

Old
11-02-2003, 11:09 PM
Jones23

Ugh!...Ottawa...we know what usually happens! :mad:

Hopefully their due and carry last games performance and surprise us all.

Doubtful...I'll say Ottawa 5-2

Old
11-03-2003, 12:44 AM

The Senators have dominated the series with the Islanders no matter the location, but have gone 17 straight games (13-0-4) without a loss at Nassau Coliseum. The streak was extended to 17 when Ottawa won both games played on Long Island in the Eastern Conference quarterfinals last season. New York's last home win against Ottawa was a 5-4 victory on Jan. 6, 1996.

And I've been there for just about all those home losses vs. Ottowa and it's tough to take. Devs, Caps and Ottowa have the Isles number. 17 games at home without a win vs. Sens is unbelievable. One of these years this ridiculous streak has to end. Hope it's tonight but won't bet on it.

Happy Birthday Tom! My name is Tom too. Only I'm twice your age.

Enjoy your day and maybe the law of averages will kick in and the Isles will give you a present. Maybe not.

When you blow out your candles on the cake, you know what to wish for!!

Old
11-03-2003, 05:36 AM
NYIsles1*

Good job on the gamethread Tom.

Happy Birthday

Hopefully capped by an Isles win?

Old
11-03-2003, 06:01 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Tom happy birthday

I'm hoping the Isles special teams will be the difference tonight.Isles pk is playing really well and will need to hold the Sens pp in check.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:04 AM
Other Dave

Don't know if this will improve your morale at all, but the Sens have been playing mediocre hockey lately, losing 3-2 against Florida (playing their second game in two nights) and scrounging a 1-all tie against Buffalo.

Both these teams played a stifling trap game against Ottawa, with some success. In one memorable sequence Thursday, Florida iced the puck five times in a row against the Sens. It really seemed to take the wind out of Ottawa's sails.

Other Dave

Old
11-03-2003, 08:45 AM
Islanders4Cups

Quote:
The Senators have dominated the series with the Islanders no matter the location, but have gone 17 straight games (13-0-4) without a loss at Nassau Coliseum. The streak was extended to 17 when Ottawa won both games played on Long Island in the Eastern Conference quarterfinals last season. New York's last home win against Ottawa was a 5-4 victory on Jan. 6, 1996.

And I've been there for just about all those home losses vs. Ottowa and it's tough to take.
Yeah, Ottawa. I happen to have been at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum for modern day Ottawa's first road win ever (after something like 30+ defeats). Yep, it came against the Islanders that fateful evening and it was a complete embarrassment at the time. Look how far the Sens have come since then.

It would be nice to see Ricky D to turn this little hex around tonight, but it won't be easy.

3-2 Sens!

Old
11-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Top Corner

Here's a Shocker !!

My Head tells me Ottawa 4 - 1 but my gut tells me Isles 2-1

Old
11-03-2003, 11:24 AM
KillToronto

vCash:
Ottawa looked like crap when the Sabres played them the other day. So either they're gonna get thier act together and beat up on you guys or you guys will squeeze out a 3-2 or 4-2 win.

Old
11-03-2003, 12:42 PM

Don't forget - during the telecast tonight on FSNY they're supposed to talk with LaFontaine from the HOF.

Old
11-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Sweet pass by Kvasha to set up Czerkawski for the goal. That line has been amazing. Who'd have thought that Czerkawski would be tied for second in goals right now? I wouldn't have.

Aucoin as well continues to accumulate the points.

Old
11-03-2003, 03:23 PM
vinrock12

wow 4-2 big goal kavasha ...... where are all the mike milbury bashers saying get rid of this guy ?

Old
11-03-2003, 03:44 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
This is the strangest game I've seen all year. Weimer from center ice, Alfredsson floats one in. Not a night for the goalies.

Old
11-03-2003, 04:26 PM
name

Sweet goal by Yashin. *Ding* and into the net it goes.

Old
11-03-2003, 04:42 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Wow, you guys kicked some *ss tonite. Good job. I knew there was a reason for taking Kvasha for my fantasy team .

Old
11-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
I tuned in via internet broadcast. Glad that I did.

Was an entertaining contest. Lots of action, both ways.

Congrats to the Isles on the win.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:25 PM
Islanders4Cups

Solid win with some help from Lalime on the Weimer goal. Kvasha - Yashin - Czerkawski, how about it! 9 goals for Mariusz and 4 for Sergei!

Another solid effort shorthanded even without Blake who hopefully won't be out too long. Ottawa's announcers were keen to point out the Isles agressiveness while down a man. Solid effort by DiPietro.

Ottawa's streak is over. Nice win to put us back into a tie for 1st place!

Dallas is next.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Jones23

Back to back great efforts and this one against one of the leagues best!

Yashin,Kvasha and Czerkawski once again were impressive not only making nice passes and scoring goals but playing physical.

Wiemer played probably his best game of the season and was rewarded for his effort scoring a goal and an assist.

Hunter continues to impress and is playing off the speed of Bates and Blake.Bates was great after the Blake injury.

Aucoin continues to be a monster out there making crisp passes,great pinches and stand up's at the blueline while playing with a very good physical prescence.There's a reason why he plays so much!

DiPietro was outstanding tonight maybe except for the Chara goal.

I'm really starting to like Stirling as it seems he's putting guys in all situations and really giving confidence throughout the team.

Bergenheim I hope is here to stay!...His hit in the first was great!

Old
11-03-2003, 05:37 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrock12
wow 4-2 big goal kavasha ...... where are all the mike milbury bashers saying get rid of this guy ?

It's taken Kvasha 3 yrs since the trade to start coming into his own.

Meanwhile Heatley and Gaborik were stud players from their 1st yr in the league.

Let's hold off on that gm of the yr award.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:39 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
It's taken Kvasha 3 yrs since the trade to start coming into his own.

Meanwhile Heatley and Gaborik were stud players from their 1st yr in the league.

Let's hold off on that gm of the yr award.
different round
different expectation level

agree about holding off on the award

Old
11-03-2003, 05:40 PM
CREW99AW

Great effort from the isles.
back to back wins against quality opponents

Old
11-03-2003, 05:50 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeca
Bergenheim I hope is here to stay!...His hit in the first was great!
His goal where he absolutely undressed Marty Straka was unreal. I was glad to see that one a few times over on NHL Cool Shots.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:06 PM
blitzkriegs

well, nice game...

some 'coliseum' thoughts...

Weimer: actually played well tonight. Sterling is giving him the icetime and he had an impressive game tonight...his goal was very Osgood/Cloutier-esque. you would think it would deflate the other team, but OTT kept on coming...he made a smart non-instigating play in the 2nd. he and Carins both walked about from a potential battle with an OTT player (can't remember)

DP: solid game with some flaws to mention; seems like there is a little bit of confusion with the defense on whether the D should clear the shooting lane to let ricky see the shot or attempt to block it - lead goals 2 and 3; he's gotta be more selective and know the distance on coming out of the net to make a play; Kvasha's penalty in the 3rd was a direct result of Ricky going too far to make a play; gotta love his aggresiveness in the last 2 mins...

Hammer: well, he takes out Ricky and then just skates away from him after the whistle blew...most guys check on their teammate, he never even looked at Ricky eventhough the whistle blew in OTT zone.

Blake: was flat out tackled by carrot top (aka Alfredsson)...has a 'knee sprain' ...

Papineau: his shots and play with the puck are too soft...does not seem confident when he gets the puck. the failed spin-arama??

Yashin: WOW!!! he did not receive an assist in the Kvasha to Chow goal but OTT defended against him breaking down the middle of the ice with Chow playing the unchecked trailer...played a great game...held his own defensively too! his one-timer rocket was a beauty...his parents (who sit in front of me) were elated when he scored...nice location since he has been shooting lasers low and in the corners lately...he has shut up a lot of critics thus far this year....

Hunter: great play to take the shot with the room and angle to get it on net...his stick was perpendicular to the ice for about a month...played well away from the puck too...he's making the most of the ice time he is getting...would like for his line to get the PP time over Peca/Parrish for right now...

Chow: had many chances all night...mostly went high on Lalime...nice trail and finish on Kvasha's pass

Peca: umm...got beat up all night...where's the hitting? the passing? that wrister???? he had plenty of times to make a hit tonight, but shied away again. seems a little two-faced when last year guys were yapping in the media about how some people (yashin) need to pull their weight when they were not scoring, now Peca is invisible on O and does NOT deserve PP time right now - hey MP, pull your weight...on one PK in the 2nd he misplayed the puck that ended up with OTT keeping it in the zone for another minute....got a 'bonus' assist on Bates EN goal...did play very well in final two minutes though.

Kvasha: played like Kvasha of old in the 1st period...was not hustling...2nd/3rd he was driving like the Kvasha of new!!! great steal and play for his goal...Lalime played the backhand pass to chow coming in, but kvasha slide it under his 5-hole as he was moving across the crease...keep it up!!!

overall:

I find myself RARELY screaming for NYI to SHOOT the puck...they do not attempt to make 6-7 passes to get one shot on net like the past two years...OTT tried to pierce the D by passing in b/t them and attempting to split them...most times d collapsed and kept the puck to the outside like they should...

attendance: @ 6:45 PM it was a ghost town...less than 11,000 for game...ticket increase has diminished about 80% of walk-up attendance - where Isles increased attendance past two years...

Old
11-03-2003, 06:30 PM
blitzkriegs

Aucoin was a +4; Kvasha +3; Yashin +2

5-1 record @ NVMC!!!

maybe..just maybe...NYI will get a backpage @ Newsday tomorrow! but i'm sure Camby's 15 points is more important - what a joke waiting to happen...

Old
11-03-2003, 08:09 PM
oilbaron

Noticed on the boxscore that Radek Martinek sat for the latter half of the game... what was the story behind that?

Closed Thread