HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers-Panthers 10/17 on OLN

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2005, 06:21 AM
gdflynn1*

vCash: 500
OLN carried via Center Ice on Cablevision?

Does anyone know if, as a Cablevision subscriber, you purchase Center Ice, does the OLN game feed come with the Package? I have heard it does.

Thanks in advance.

Old
10-17-2005, 06:26 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdflynn1
Does anyone know if, as a Cablevision subscriber, you purchase Center Ice, does the OLN game feed come with the Package? I have heard it does.

Thanks in advance.
NO.The OLN feed is not part of Center Ice.It's that way for all Center Ice viewers.It doesn't matter if they get Center Ice from digital cable,DIRECTV or the Dish Network.OLN or bust

Old
10-17-2005, 06:30 AM
gdflynn1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
NO.The OLN feed is not part of Center Ice.It's that way for all Center Ice viewers.It doesn't matter if they get Center Ice from digital cable,DIRECTV or the Dish Network.OLN or bust
I pulled this off of Center ICE website:
"Q: WHAT IS NHL® CENTER ICE®?
A: NHL® CENTER ICE® is a digital subscription programming package of NHL regular season games that are played outside your local viewing area. The hockey games included in NHL® CENTER ICE® are in addition to those available on OLN, NBC, HDNet and your in-market networks (such as a regional sports network and/or over-the-air station)."

Not true for cablevision subs?

Old
10-17-2005, 07:01 AM
Dropkick Alex

Good Luck from a Cats fan

Old
10-17-2005, 08:09 AM
gdflynn1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Alex
Good Luck from a Cats fan
Hope you at least get to watch it...

Old
10-17-2005, 08:17 AM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Hope you at least get to watch it...
Living in Buffalo, I'm hoping MSG will be nice and let the game be aired but I doubt it.

Old
10-17-2005, 08:18 AM
gdflynn1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Alex
Living in Buffalo, I'm hoping MSG will be nice and let the game be aired but I doubt it.
Hopefully, someone will be able to confirm or deny this:

I pulled this off of Center ICE website:
"Q: WHAT IS NHL® CENTER ICE®?
A: NHL® CENTER ICE® is a digital subscription programming package of NHL regular season games that are played outside your local viewing area. The hockey games included in NHL® CENTER ICE® are in addition to those available on OLN, NBC, HDNet and your in-market networks (such as a regional sports network and/or over-the-air station)."

Not true for cablevision subs?

_-- i may have to break down and go with CenterIce should this br true.

Old
10-17-2005, 08:40 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

What are you asking here?The Center Ice games are in addition to the games on OLN,NBC,MSG and FSNY.To watch the games on OLN,you need OLN.It's pretty simple.Or if you have the HDNET,you don't need OLN

Old
10-17-2005, 09:28 AM
Ola

Is OLN available at all in NY or is it available but costs extra?

Old
10-17-2005, 09:38 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Is OLN available at all in NY or is it available but costs extra?
Yes, OLN is available on most cable systems. I get it on Time Warner Cable in Manhattan. It's mostly Cablevision customers who are getting screwed here.

Old
10-17-2005, 09:38 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Comcast paid a huge premium to the NHL to carry national broadcasts of hockey, which at first seems pretty silly. The success of this contract for Comcast relies on the assumption that Cablevision will eventually bow to Comcasts wishes and abosrb the costs to carry OLN, giving the channel a wide viewership to compete with ESPN. The NHL/Bettman never had any exlusive deal with ESPN because for the most part ESPN2 was carried over most cable providers. Basically, the NHL/Bettman auctioned off some of its most prized hockey markets / fans to make an extra buck, which, in my opinion could hurt the popularity of the sport in the longrun.

I love how poorly run/marketed the sport is on a national level- it seems all the franchises do an excellent job of selling the sport on a local level only to get no support from the NHL to actually get non-hockey markets watching the sport, which would hugely help teams in TV revenues. Everyone can spew all the BS about how hockey will never be popular and its an only a northern sport, but the sad part is the sport's popularity is an alltime high in the south and at an all time low in the north. When you can sell a sport like NASCAR and make it so successful in the northern states, the NHL really has no excuse.

Old
10-17-2005, 10:52 AM
Gamma82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Have you read the contract?Find a single news source which backs up the Comcast position of that monopoly being allowed to blackout their programming under an existing contract.The NHL has the authority to veto any Concast blackout which is why is the first post in this thread I blame Bettman.It's his fault
The NHL has the authority if you read Larry Brooks, if you call OLN they will say that is not the case. They are located in Conn. it's a 203 # call yourself. You can also call the NHL it's a 212 # and they will say it is between Comcast and Cablevision to resolve the dispute.

According to OLN today, so take it with a grain of salt, they have 90+% penetration into homes and only have a problem with 1 cable company, can you guess which one.

You can blame Bettman for choosing the $$'s from OLN against going with ESPN, but you also need to blame the owners for passing the contract and Dolan didn't vote against the agreement between OLN and the NHL.

Old
10-17-2005, 11:09 AM
gdflynn1*

On the phone with Cablevision now..They say the games are being broadcasted.

Am i to believe they have no idea what they are talking abuot?

Old
10-17-2005, 11:23 AM
ct_ranger

you should know by now that their customer service people have no clue

I called OLN, they picked up the phone on two rings. They are blacking it out, I said to the guy, "so we are screwed then", he said "yeah, your screwed". I did not have the heart to get angrywith him.

Their phone is203) 406-2500 if you want to call and tell them what you think of them.

Quote:
On the phone with Cablevision now..They say the games are being broadcasted.

Am i to believe they have no idea what they are talking abuot?

Old
10-17-2005, 11:28 AM
gdflynn1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_ranger
you should know by now that their customer service people have no clue

I called OLN, they picked up the phone on two rings. They are blacking it out, I said to the guy, "so we are screwed then", he said "yeah, your screwed". I did not have the heart to get angrywith him.

Their phone is203) 406-2500 if you want to call and tell them what you think of them.

Clueless isnt the word i Guess (still on hold)...i mean, he started reading off teh number of games i will get by subscribing..

Old
10-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Balej20*

So i guess we wont be watching our game tonight. Thanks to everyone involved in this debacle!!!! MUCH APPRECIATED... THANK YOU FANS!!!!!!!!! Take that **** off the ice already, I'm not buying it.

Old
10-17-2005, 12:02 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jratelle19
feasible (adjective) capable of being done with means at hand and circumstances as they are
i knew i spelled it wrong? i'm an idiot!

Old
10-17-2005, 12:03 PM
gdflynn1*

So, I gave up. After 17 minutes on hold after being re-directed to the "Escalation assistants" (cause why make an unhappy customer wait?) I hung up and called again. This time, my cablevision rep. told me up front - No games right now, sorry.

So, i was 1 for 2. One guy gave me the hard sel. The other, up front and honest.

I will have to chalk it up to clueless-ness...

Old
10-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Melrose_Jr.

I intend to cancel my sports tier subscription tonight during the game. I'm going to work the "I signed up for OLN to watch hockey and haven't seen a game yet" angle and try and get my $4.95 back too.

Is there any point to calling OLN and lodging a complaint?

Old
10-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Is there any point to calling OLN and lodging a complaint?
cant hurt, i'll do it too, and while i'm at it, im calling cabelvision and putting in a complaint,

Old
10-17-2005, 12:30 PM
bathgate

What better way to resell the game in the most important market than to black it out? Nothing like trying to regain loyal patrons and attracting new ones. IF I ran my business with such insensitivity, I'd go bankrupt!

Old
10-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Are OLN blacking out the game in both its broadcasts, or are they going to show the 'replay' which they show later on in the night?

I have Time Warner, but I have another problem: I'll probably be at work . . .

Old
10-17-2005, 12:31 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Are OLN blacking out the game in both its broadcasts, or are they going to show the 'replay' which they show later on in the night?
Does OLN do replays? I thought just our local sport affiliates did that.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
They did for the last game they showed. I just checked their website, and it looks like they will tonight, too.

For all the hoopla about Comcast bringing value to OLN (and their coverage of the Tour de France and America's Cup are both really quite good), they still don't have much to show aside from hunting and fishing shows. The other thing to see is if their website's NHL coverage is as good as it is for the Tour.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
You guys will be able to watch the replay, I think.

Closed Thread