HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Perreault vs. Robitaille

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2005, 02:45 AM
Stars-Preds

vCash: 500
Perreault vs. Robitaille

Yes this is an old topic since Robitallie is now with the Minnesota Wild ... but I think this will be a developing story as the season goes on to see if Nashville made the right decision.

So far the two players look to be fairly even statistically:

Randy Robitaille: 4 games, 1 goal, 3 assists, 4 points, -1, 61% in faceoff circle
Yannic Perreault: 5 games, 2 goals, 1 assist, 3 points, -2, 65% in faceoff circle

... At this point, I'm going to say Nashville did make the right decision because Perreault should prove more valuable because of his playoff experience and his ability to win faceoffs (lead the NHL in faceoff percentage the last three seasons and Legwand/Johnson have both said he has helped them in the short time he's been in Nashville).

Opinions?

Old
10-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Subaqueous

Quote:
Originally Posted by leg11wand
Yes this is an old topic since Robitallie is now with the Minnesota Wild ... but I think this will be a developing story as the season goes on to see if Nashville made the right decision.

So far the two players look to be fairly even statistically:

Randy Robitaille: 4 games, 1 goal, 3 assists, 4 points, -1, 61% in faceoff circle
Yannic Perreault: 5 games, 2 goals, 1 assist, 3 points, -2, 65% in faceoff circle

... At this point, I'm going to say Nashville did make the right decision because Perreault should prove more valuable because of his playoff experience and his ability to win faceoffs (lead the NHL in faceoff percentage the last three seasons and Legwand/Johnson have both said he has helped them in the short time he's been in Nashville).

Opinions?
I have to be honest, I liked Randy alot and would have liked to see him stick around. That being said though, you're probably right about Perreault... he is probably a little more valuable in the faceoff circle and he should definitely be more valuable if the Preds go to the playoffs.

Old
10-16-2005, 11:44 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
With Perreault, I think it is important that we now go out and pick up a center in the UFA market next year. He'll be 35 by the time the playoffs roll around and I'm not sure he is an option for next year.

While I love his faceoff ability and he's got good puck skills, I really do think he holds back his linemates at times. He balances that out by creating scoring chances with his faceoffs, but I'd rather have a good faceoff man with skilll that can skate than a great faceoff man with skills that can't skate.

After this season, we are going to have some extra forwards. Adam Hall might be on the outside looking in as well as one of our top 4 wingers. And if Hartnell takes the next step, we might have even more pushing and shoving for roster spots. I think we can use the excess talent to attempt to grab a center/Dman and pick the other up in a UFA market.

Old
10-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
With Perreault, I think it is important that we now go out and pick up a center in the UFA market next year. He'll be 35 by the time the playoffs roll around and I'm not sure he is an option for next year.

While I love his faceoff ability and he's got good puck skills, I really do think he holds back his linemates at times. He balances that out by creating scoring chances with his faceoffs, but I'd rather have a good faceoff man with skilll that can skate than a great faceoff man with skills that can't skate.

After this season, we are going to have some extra forwards. Adam Hall might be on the outside looking in as well as one of our top 4 wingers. And if Hartnell takes the next step, we might have even more pushing and shoving for roster spots. I think we can use the excess talent to attempt to grab a center/Dman and pick the other up in a UFA market.
If Steve Rucchin was an UFA, he would be an interesting possibility, but he would still be a stop gap. Still he has decent speed, good faceoff skills, and he is a former captain that knows how to play defense.

10-16-2005, 12:41 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I think we can use the excess talent to attempt to grab a center/Dman and pick the other up in a UFA market.
How many more dmen do you think we need?

Old
10-16-2005, 12:53 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
If Steve Rucchin was an UFA, he would be an interesting possibility, but he would still be a stop gap. Still he has decent speed, good faceoff skills, and he is a former captain that knows how to play defense.
A guy like Chris Drury intrigues me as well as Jason Arnott. Arnott Just turned 31 (and is in the last year of his deal) and Drury just turned 29 (I think he has two years left on his deal), so UFA might be nearby for both.

With the way Drury has struggled in Buffalo to start off the season, I think he could be had fairly cheap especially giving his price tag. Of course, I don't see us adding his salary right now. Maybe towards the deadline.

With Arnott, he's going to be a UFA at the end of this year right? I think he would certainly be one of our targets. He could be a nice linemate for some of our smaller forwards. In fact, he could be a nice centerman to Kariya or Sullivan.

Both are really solid at faceoffs (Drury has averaged in and around 53.5% over the past few seasons, Arnott has similar stats) and both bring an aspect we could use. Drury has really good speed and can pot goals. Arnott has really good size and can score as well along with his defensive minded nature.

Both of these guys are usually good for 20+ goals and 50+ points year in and year out. They can be had without giving up major assets to acquire (just money in the form of salary possibly) and they can be a longer term solution. Nabbing Drury and signing him to a longer term deal (I think he might be able to be signed for around 2+ mil) and we could keep him as part of our core going forward so that when Suter/Hammer etc. mature, he'll still be a valuable contributor and we'll be ready to compete for the Cup.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 10-16-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old
10-16-2005, 12:59 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr
How many more dmen do you think we need?

Next year, I'm not sure Markov or Eaton will be with the team (I think they are both on the last year of their deals). One could be gone to make room for Weber, but what happens if Markov wants a bunch on the UFA market?

Nabbing that defenseman is a problem I hope we don't have to encounter. I'd love to keep Markov and have Weber replace Eaton next year. Just throwing out the option that they both might not be back.

Old
10-16-2005, 01:26 PM
lstcyr

Don't disagree that Weber will be up next year but I think Markov is gone and Eaton stays. When do you think Klein and Parent come up? (I'd like to see the latter do a year in Milwaukee. It has to help him.)

Old
10-16-2005, 01:45 PM
SmokeyClause

I think Parent will be in the O next year. He can't play in the AHL and I can't see him making our roster out of camp. You're right. I think he'll spend some time in the AHL in two years.

Eaton will be the easiest of the two to keep between him and Markov. But I'd rather keep Markov if I could. But if money is going to be an issue, I'll take Eaton. Markov is better than he is. But he's not 2+ Mil better. My desire to keep Markov stems from the fact that I don't think Weber can step in and replace Markov next year. I think he can replace Eaton if need be.

I think Klein might be ready next year, but I'd like to see him stay in the A one more year. If he's brought up, it will be in a top 6 role. And if Weber is up too, that will mean that 4 of our top 6 will be 23 and under. I just don't think that is a recipe for a success.

If we stagger it, we will be better off. Weber debuts next year. Klein the year after that. And Parent the year after that. But I don't think any of this will happen as I can't see us holding on to both Klein and Parent. I think both could be important trade pieces to upgrade some weak spots on our team.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:09 AM
Stars-Preds

I agree with you Smokey. I think Markov is gone after the season to take more money somewhere else. Weber steps in next season for him. But I think Klein will be trade bait and Parents makes the jump in two to three seasons.

I like the idea of Chris Drury joining this team. He is along the lines of Kariya in that I think he would fit in perfectly here. Obviously he's not near the offensive talent as Paul, but he's won a Stanley Cup and seems to be a good lockerroom guy.

Arnott on the otherhand we should stay away from. He will likely command to many dollars next summer anyway, but he's not the type of player I see fitting in in Nashville. Seeing him play in Dallas every night, everyone here would tell you he is one of the most inconsistent players in the NHL. Great one night (opening night 1 goal, 3 assists) but a non-factor another night (only two points since). He's a very good player but not right for Nashville IMO.

Old
10-17-2005, 06:33 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I disagree. I think Klien and Parent fit the mold Poile wants our blueline to look like.

Suter, Hamhuis and Klien are all strong puck moving two-way guys.

Weber and Parent give us the size we need.

Trading them just means we're looking for someone just like them to fill that void on the team. I also think Franson could be that final guy with size we need to go along with Weber and Parent.

As far as the age thing. I don't worry much about that either especially after watching Hamhuis this year. He's ready now to take the top pairing.

If I was looking to move a defenseman, I'd start with Zidlicky as he has the most value and I believe Hamhuis could fill that role now. In order, Eaton and Markov would be next and Kimmo the last one. I think Weber will replace Markov or Eaton next season and Parent will replace the other in 2 seasons.

Eventually I see our blueline as all draft picks

Hamhuis-Weber
Suter-Parent
Klien-Franson

Youth would be the only weakness on this line. Great speed, size, etc.

Closed Thread