HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundquist

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Garden_Variety

vCash: 500
Lundquist

Another good game by Lundquist between the pipes. I wonder what will happen when Weekes comes back from the groin injury? Does he automatically become the #1? I would assume so even though Henrik has played well.

Old
10-15-2005, 11:53 PM
Levitate

renney has already made comments to the effect that weekes will still be the #1. I think that's fine, no reason to rush lundqvist into the #1 spot after just a few games. he's gonna have some bad games here and there and there's less pressure on him to share duties with weekes right now

Old
10-15-2005, 11:55 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
renney has already made comments to the effect that weekes will still be the #1. I think that's fine, no reason to rush lundqvist into the #1 spot after just a few games. he's gonna have some bad games here and there and there's less pressure on him to share duties with weekes right now
I think thats BS. Even if Weekes is the number one, let Lundqvist go. You don't take a guy out after two games like these. Thats cleary just hurting your team. Maybe Lundqvist is just hot right now. You don't remove him for someone who can't top what he's doing.

Old
10-15-2005, 11:56 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

It's too bad he should've had a shutout today and probably on Thursday too. I really like what I see from him except for the rebounds. He's very fundamentally sound, a lot shots just seem to hit him, even the high ones. He also seems to have lightning quick reflexes, especially with his feet. He probably has some of the quickest legs in the NHL, it's very nice to see. I'm not sure we'll see some of the acrobatic saves that Richter or our rival Brodeur make but that doesn't seem to be his game.

Old
10-16-2005, 12:00 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
I love how happy he was after the game tonight. I just saw the encore, and he was so happy, taking a lap around the Garden almost after the win, it's really great to see.

Old
10-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
I think thats BS. Even if Weekes is the number one, let Lundqvist go. You don't take a guy out after two games like these. Thats cleary just hurting your team. Maybe Lundqvist is just hot right now. You don't remove him for someone who can't top what he's doing.
well yeah i don't think they should just shelve lundqvist when weekes comes back...but i don't think they need to start him in every game until he has a bad one. i'd like to see it settle into a closer 50-50 split or something

Old
10-16-2005, 12:03 AM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
when they interviewed rucchin after the game, he said how much confidence the team has when lundqvist is in net, so i say keep him there a few more games then when weekes is healthy make it a competition and if you keep winning, then you keep playing but if you lose the other guy plays. this way they will always be on top of their game and we will get the best out of them every night

Old
10-16-2005, 12:16 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR fan 2
when they interviewed rucchin after the game, he said how much confidence the team has when lundqvist is in net, so i say keep him there a few more games then when weekes is healthy make it a competition and if you keep winning, then you keep playing but if you lose the other guy plays. this way they will always be on top of their game and we will get the best out of them every night
I loved the Rucchin interview. I found it great when he said at the end "we really got his confidence up in the third period". I like how despite the win he noticed that the third period team defense wasn't very good and mentioned it. He sounded like a coach. (Kind of like Renney after a nice 4-1 win against the Devils still mentioned that we didn't have a good second period).

Old
10-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I noticed that from Renney last night, too, and I agree, it's a great thing. I think that Rangers teams of the past would have taken the win and been happy. This coach seems to have the opinion that the players need to work all the time, and if they do, the wins will come.

Old
10-16-2005, 12:32 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
well I hope weekes is healthy soon so they could send Montoya back down instead of have him sitting on the bench.

Old
10-16-2005, 12:39 AM
chiefshockey23

you cant decide if lunqvist is the new #1 starter on two great games he has played. if anything lundqvist would get to play more games and would possibly split games till end of the year depending on rangers situation if they make playoffs or not if there not in contetnion i think give lundqvist the #1 job. but thats not going to happen cause the rangers will make the playoffs.

Old
10-16-2005, 12:52 AM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefshockey23
you cant decide if lunqvist is the new #1 starter on two great games he has played. if anything lundqvist would get to play more games and would possibly split games till end of the year depending on rangers situation if they make playoffs or not if there not in contetnion i think give lundqvist the #1 job. but thats not going to happen cause the rangers will make the playoffs.

i think they should do what they did with richter and vanbiesbrouck that one year and switch off every game
or like i said in another thread, to play who ever is winning/playing well and when they faulter put the other guy in

Old
10-16-2005, 01:18 AM
pld459666

I somewhat agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers

the first game that Weekes is back Lundqvist should still start as a matter of respect and appreciation for what he's done.

That being said, Weekes is the #1 and until both are healthy and one out plays the other it should stay that way.

Henrik still has to face not only the talented teams, but the teams with talent and a system that supports that. I would say that the Devils are one of those teams but they have not yet found their game in these new rules.

The #1 job is his (Henrik's that is) it's just a matter time and there's no reason to rush it now.

Old
10-16-2005, 01:37 AM
Forever Blue

Ride the hot hand.

Old
10-16-2005, 03:26 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
I really like what I see from him except for the rebounds.
Lundqvuist was money tonight, but this is very evident in especially in person at the game.

Old
10-16-2005, 03:37 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Honestly, I don't see the comments about the rebounds. Anything up high - his torso is like a vacuum cleaner, it gets sucked right in. Seriously, my opinion is that he's actually extremely skilled at eating up shots. Now on low shots, yes - the puck does bounce off, but he's using his pads to direct them into the corners, which is very, very smart.

I will admit that on some of the tough flurries in the third he gave up a couple of rebounds even on high shots, but that was classic stand-on-your-head goaltending - your D is turned around and the other team has a burst of life and you're just doing everything you can to keep the puck out of the net.

Granted, tonight was the first regular season game I've seen, but counting that and the preseason, I was really shocked to read all the posts about bad rebounds. Any thoughts that can help me understand where these comments are coming from?

And for the love of God, his name is Lundqvist with a V and NO U.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 10-16-2005 at 03:59 AM.
Old
10-16-2005, 04:31 AM
TexMurphy

One of Henke΄s trademarks is actually eating rebounds.

Also I dobut he is on a hot streak atm. From what Ive seen its just his regular game.

Tex

Old
10-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Edge

While Lundqvist is likely a key component of the future, there is simply no need to throw him in now.

There is a very good possibility where if he keeps it up, the number one job is his.

having said that, Weekes still has the inside track. But the better Lunqvist plays, the more he closes the gap.

Old
10-16-2005, 07:51 AM
larsmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMurphy
One of Henke΄s trademarks is actually eating rebounds.

Also I dobut he is on a hot streak atm. From what Ive seen its just his regular game.

Tex
Yeah, I reacted to that too. The best thing with Henke when he played in the SEL was that he NEVER did let any rebounds go. And on the rare occation that he did he directed them into the corners. I guess it can be a part of adapting if he now lets some rebounds go (if they are straight out and not into the corners) to the NHL game since it's a lot quicker. But if that is the case he'll get better at it, probably quite fast aswell.

Henrik is the most talented goaltender I've seen in Sweden during my entire life (not that long though).

Old
10-16-2005, 08:14 AM
shoothepuck

He's hot now. Keep playing him until he has a bad game.

Old
10-16-2005, 09:25 AM
DayWalk3r
YouTube Guru

Here is a nice save he did in the SEL last year.
kind of familiar to the save Caron did 2 days ago.

http://rapidshare.de/files/5286956/F...t_SSK.wmv.html

Old
10-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Let's take a page from the Minnesota Wild's book.

Once Weekes is healthy, neither of them play two games in a row unless they earn a shutout.

Old
10-16-2005, 10:44 AM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Check out these stats:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/1677/gamelog

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2645/gamelog

Weekes
Date ….. Opp …. R …. GS … MIN … W … L … T … E … GA … GAA …. SH … SV … .SV%. … SO
Oct 10 … WAS … .L. … 01 … 059 … 0 … 1 … 0 … 0 … 03 … 3.04 … 28 … 25 … 0.893 … 00
Oct 06 … MON … OTL … 01 … 062 … 0 … 0 … 0 … 0 … 04 … 3.89 … 28 … 24 … 0.857 … 00
Oct 05 … PHI … .W. … 01 … 060 … 1 … 0 … 0 … 0 … 03 … 3.00 … 27 … 24 … 0.889 … 00
Total … … … … … .....03 … 181 … 1 … 1 … 0 … 0 … 10 … 3.32 … 83 … 73 … 0.880 … 00

Lundqvist
Date ….. Opp …. R …. GS … MIN … W … L … T … E … GA … GAA …. SH … SV … .SV%. … SO
Oct 15 … ATL … .W. … 01 … 060 … 1 … 0 … 0 … 0 … 01 … 1.00 … 29 … 28 … 0.966 … 00
Oct 13 … NJD … .W. … 01 … 060 … 1 … 0 … 0 … 0 … 01 … 1.01 … 21 … 20 … 0.952 … 00
Oct 08 … NJD … OTL … 01 … 063 … 0 … 0 … 0 … 0 … 03 … 2.85 … 27 … 24 … 0.889 … 00
Total … … … … … .....03 … 183 … 2 … 0 … 0 … 0 … 05 … 1.64 … 77 … 72 … 0.935 … 00

Why in the world would the Rangers go back to Weekes as soon as he's healthy?
He hasn't cracked a 90% save percentage in any game he's played so far.
Lundqvist was over 95% in two of his three games.

I know it's early and maybe Lundqvist will struggle at times under pressure over time, but why not ride him until he shows signs of trouble?

Lunqvist isn't 18.
He's 23 with a LOT of Swedish Elite League experience (where his Save% was under 90% only one year, when it was 89.9%)

Seems like a no-brainer to me, but I'm not an NHL coach.

Last edited by FanSince2014: 10-16-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old
10-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Jericho

I think the Rangers shouldn't actually name Lunqvist the #1 guy, but should play him like one for the forseeable future. You know what you have in Weekes, a medicore at best guy who's just a stop gap. Lunqvist is a bit of an unknown, but a top prospect. Play him and see what happens. Don't yank him after one bad start, but give him a real chance to play. Unless Lunqvist goes into a funk, give him the majority of starts over Weekes. Best case scenario is what happened with Nabokov and the Sharks many years ago when Steve Shields got hurt.

Old
10-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR fan 2
Basically everone says that about Lundqvist. Its a common thing to say but I've heard it from so many diffrent sources about Lundqvist in diffrent situations, like on the national team and a D comes to the WCH right from the NHL and the 1st thing he says after the game is "it felt great playing infront of Lundqvist". I think the biggest part is that he reads the game really well, when he plays well he is really in the game. Especially in Frφlunda it looked like he never where taken by suprise. Like when a D made a horrible turnover Lundqvist was always prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsmark
Yeah, I reacted to that too. The best thing with Henke when he played in the SEL was that he NEVER did let any rebounds go. And on the rare occation that he did he directed them into the corners. I guess it can be a part of adapting if he now lets some rebounds go (if they are straight out and not into the corners) to the NHL game since it's a lot quicker. But if that is the case he'll get better at it, probably quite fast aswell.

Henrik is the most talented goaltender I've seen in Sweden during my entire life (not that long though).
Yeah he often controlls rebounds really well, but not with his glovehand. He often makes glovesaves where the puck jumps out of the glove.

Closed Thread