HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zach Parise

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
Zach Parise

Oilers traded down and allowed NJ to pick this kid up. I was looking the the Future 15 list and seen him on there. Did the Oilers make a mistake by passing on him? who can he be compared to? someone inform the uninformed.

Old
10-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Slats432

I really don't want to get into this again....here is the full debate on some people liking what the Oilers did and some didn't....(By the way..that whole top 15 list is bogus.)

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=7731

Old
10-08-2003, 01:05 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

thanks

Old
10-08-2003, 01:05 PM
Taco Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Oilers traded down and allowed NJ to pick this kid up. I was looking the the Future 15 list and seen him on there. Did the Oilers make a mistake by passing on him? who can he be compared to? someone inform the uninformed.
Its very possible the oilers made a mistake when passing on him. I think Kevin Lowe's rant/outrage at the smallish players being pushed around in the playoffs may have put Zach out of contention. (He's listed as 5'11, 185) Could just be he felt that he could get more out of a combination of Pouliot and Stortini (it was stortini we got with that extra pick right?)

I don't think we made out too badly with the guys we got, I certainly would be a little more concerned if we picked up another small (albeit talented) forward. Thats something we have enough of.

Old
10-08-2003, 01:08 PM
Taco Grande

Bah, looking at it we got Jacques.. not as happy now.

Old
10-08-2003, 02:30 PM
jofa

Although the Top 15 article was prepared by an ESPN writer (Scott Burnside), it looks like he leaned pretty heavily on Pierre McGuire, who's always had a hard-on for Parise. He was completely losing it on air when nobody was drafting Parise, who he felt was at least a top 10, and was in disbelief that he didn't go until 17th overall. To call him one of the next great ones is getting a little ahead of himself, as the guy hasn't proven anything yet. Its kind of an odd list, as Thornton is more the "present" than the "future", while Tootoo and Parise haven't even shown they can play in the NHL yet.

As for the Parise situation, I think the Oilers should have gone for Parise rather than the Pouliot/Jacques combo they opted for, but I guess we'll only know in time.

Closed Thread