HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cammalleri should have been benched...

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Kingz4life

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Cammalleri should have been benched...

I am a huge supporter of Cammalleri and I was pissed off he was benched 1 game into the season (even though I like AM) but it has helped him become more of a physical player and now he has put it all together. AM layed down the law and Cammalleri has responded!

Old
10-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Osprey

He would've put up the points, anyways. It has nothing to do with the benching that was very premature. What it does have something to do with is AM showing confidence in him, especially by putting him on the powerplay. Nine minutes in one game doesn't prove anything or indicate a problem. Nearly every player has had an off-game. I'm sure AM is all smug right now and thinking as you are that Cammalleri's play is all his doing, but he's wrong. It's ice-time, confidence and powerplay time that Mike is reaping the benefits of.

Old
10-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
He would've put up the points, anyways. It has nothing to do with the benching that was very premature. What it does have something to do with is AM showing confidence in him, especially by putting him on the powerplay. Nine minutes in one game doesn't prove anything or indicate a problem. Nearly every player has had an off-game. I'm sure AM is all smug right now and thinking as you are that Cammalleri's play is all his doing, but he's wrong. It's ice-time, confidence and powerplay time that Mike is reaping the benefits of.
concur all the way

Old
10-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
I was arguing from your side a couple weeks ago, so I understand. But his PHYSICAL game is coming from the benching. I don't think AM benched him because he didn't have a hat-trick in 9 minutes.

Old
10-16-2005, 09:16 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
I still think it odd to pair Cammalleri and Visnovsky on the points on the power play, but then again, seeing Matti Norstrom out there on the second unit confuses me further.

Old
10-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
I was arguing from your side a couple weeks ago, so I understand. But his PHYSICAL game is coming from the benching. I don't think AM benched him because he didn't have a hat-trick in 9 minutes.
I'll agree with you that his slightly physical play is likely because of the benching, but, really, his checks are so soft that they don't help the team much and certainly have nothing to do with his point production. Most of his points (including both from tonight) have come from the powerplay, not physical play. The physicality is nice, but I would expect that he could be taught that without the extreme punishment of scratching.

Old
10-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
I'll agree with you that his slightly physical play is likely because of the benching, but, really, his checks are so soft that they don't help the team much and certainly have nothing to do with his point production. Most of his points (including both from tonight) have come from the powerplay, not physical play. The physicality is nice, but I would expect that he could be taught that without the extreme punishment of scratching.
I always knew Cammalleri would put up tons of points so, I know his physical game doesn't really help his scoring that much but IT DOES help the team.

Old
10-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
I still think it odd to pair Cammalleri and Visnovsky on the points on the power play, but then again, seeing Matti Norstrom out there on the second unit confuses me further.

You know Matti actually has a hard shot. He just doesn't use it all that much.

Old
10-16-2005, 11:21 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
norstrom and miller on the power play...

sorry guys, but that won't get it done...i've been saying it since last summer that the kings need another defenseman...

10-16-2005, 11:25 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:

Well said!

I had posted this exact scenario during that whole tirade on the Cammy issue. Wholaaa.........here it is. The hindsight that some of you have here is classic. This has absolutely nothing to do with AM benching Cammy. Two games of being benched and the guy's career has changed.
Again.........ice time = confidence.....mistakes or no mistakes, the coach has to show his players that he believes in their abilities, and not just the system.

When we sit this guy, we're sitting possible goals and assists. Players can be invisible for 58 minutes, but it's players like these that can change the game at any moment. Great goal tonight, and hopefully it continues.

Old
10-16-2005, 11:25 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont

sorry guys, but that won't get it done...i've been saying it since last summer that the kings need another defenseman...
Agreed!

Old
10-17-2005, 12:15 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont

DT isn't a fool, and I'm sure he's looking for the right guy. In the meantime - the Kings are winning games, so there's no URGENCY, but it'd certainly be welcome. The Rob Blake's of the world (or anything close to him) are not a dime a dozen.

Old
10-17-2005, 12:29 AM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV
DT isn't a fool, and I'm sure he's looking for the right guy. In the meantime - the Kings are winning games, so there's no URGENCY, but it'd certainly be welcome. The Rob Blake's of the world (or anything close to him) are not a dime a dozen.
Concur.

Old
10-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

4 points in 4 games for Cammalleri. I think some of the vets have to start picking it up offensively (JR, Demitra, Luc in particular).

Old
10-17-2005, 12:55 AM
jt

I think it's funny that some people can give AM only blame and when his team does well it's in spite of him not because of him.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:12 AM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
4 points in 4 games for Cammalleri. I think some of the vets have to start picking it up offensively (JR, Demitra, Luc in particular).
You can thank Demitra for us winning two or three of our games.... Telling him to step it up?
Should of had penalty shot today was stupid that it was only penalty but did we score on that one?

Old
10-17-2005, 01:21 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Demitra has looked better than the other vets, but I still expect the top paid players to play like they are the top paid players on the team, consistently and every night. I think Demitra can play better and it will improve once his line gets going. I personally think that Demitra plays better when he's centering a line.

And the way JR has been playing recently, maybe JR should be moved to the wing (where Ken Hitchcock had him playing during the playoffs and had planned to use JR as a winger for the upcoming season, had he still been with the Flyers).

Old
10-17-2005, 01:49 AM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
I'm thinking the same thing. We've only really had 1 period of great play out of JR. All other periods he's either been blah or totally non-existent.

10-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
I think it's funny that some people can give AM only blame and when his team does well it's in spite of him not because of him.
I think it's funny that some people can give AM only praise and when his team does poorly, well, it's in spite of him, not because of him.

Old
10-17-2005, 04:03 AM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
Well said!

I had posted this exact scenario during that whole tirade on the Cammy issue. Wholaaa.........here it is. The hindsight that some of you have here is classic. This has absolutely nothing to do with AM benching Cammy. Two games of being benched and the guy's career has changed.
Again.........ice time = confidence.....mistakes or no mistakes, the coach has to show his players that he believes in their abilities, and not just the system.

When we sit this guy, we're sitting possible goals and assists. Players can be invisible for 58 minutes, but it's players like these that can change the game at any moment. Great goal tonight, and hopefully it continues.
Like I said, I am a huge Cammy fan and I know he's going to put up great numbers. But if, benching him made him start doing all the little things better, then it was right

Old
10-17-2005, 07:11 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

This is a classic case of "Which came first? The chicken, or the egg?"

10-17-2005, 12:19 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
This is a classic case of "Which came first? The chicken, or the egg?"
Well, Legion? What's the answer? Don't leave us hangin' here

Old
10-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer
I'm thinking the same thing. We've only really had 1 period of great play out of JR. All other periods he's either been blah or totally non-existent.

I personally don't think JR's 100%. He's not aggressive on the ice at all. Something's wrong with him. Not an excuse, but we've been watching this guy for a long time and he's not playing his game at all.

As far as Cammalleri goes, I loved the goal he scored last night... I've seen him go on streaks, I've also seen him go invisible shortly there after. I just want consistent effort from him each and every night like we get from Dustin Brown. Of course, I want the same from Demitra and Conroy too and haven't felt like we've been getting that from them either.

Let's see how they react to back-to-backs on the road.

The only skaters that have impressed me every night so far are Avery and Brown.

Old
10-17-2005, 02:55 PM
jt

Quote:
I think it's funny that some people can give AM only praise and when his team does poorly, well, it's in spite of him, not because of him.
The difference is that Andy Murray can't lace up skates and MAKE JR play good hockey. He can't jump out on the ice and MAKE Cammy hustle. All he can do is prepare the players as much as possible and try to find ways to motivate them.

I ALWAYS think the players need to shoulder MOST of the responsibility. They deserve MOST of the credit and MOST of the blame when things go right and wrong. THEY are the ones playing the game on the ice not the coaches. The exceptions are when the team is basically full of kids and no real leaders (like the Caps)...then the coach needs to take on LOTS of responsibility. That said, I won't blame Hanlon one bit when the Caps win, oh, 15 games all season because the talent just isn't there. But I won't blame the players either.

I just think it's funny that when players play poorly fans look to blame someone other than the people who are actually on the ice playing. That somehow it's Andy Murray's fault that Luc is old...and JR won't play hard...and Frolov won't shoot...and Visnovsky's back is hurt...and Corvo is Corvo. People who think coaches can have THAT much influence on actually CHANGING the way those players play are delusional.

Old
10-17-2005, 03:43 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash
I personally don't think JR's 100%. He's not aggressive on the ice at all. Something's wrong with him. Not an excuse, but we've been watching this guy for a long time and he's not playing his game at all.
I hope its not because of the hit he took this preseason. I'd hate to lose another one to injury. He has been a vocal leader on the ice (which is something this team is sorely lacking), but everything else has just not been there.

Closed Thread