HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Vermette?

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Johnny Danger

vCash: 500
Vermette?

is he still on the team?

thx

Old
10-06-2003, 09:27 AM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
is he still on the team?

thx
The cuts will be made tomorrow if I'm not mistaken. My bet is that he will hang on to a spot until Fisher and Havlat are figured out. Vermette is an incredible skater, is a nice little playmaker and seems to fit the Sens system. My personal feelings, anyways.

<a href="http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam031006/nhl_ott1-sun.html">Sun article - Oct. 6/03</a>

"Still, the decision will come down to Payer, Vermette or Hamel. While Hamel had a strong camp, it'll likely be Vermette who is given the opportunity to show what he can do until Havlat is signed and returns to the fold."

Brucey seems to think he'll stick around, and you know if he says so it's true. Seriously though, I'll have to agree with him this time.

Old
10-06-2003, 09:40 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
My "hunch" is that Varada will be brought back over to the RW until Havlat signs and let Antoine play the left side.

Where exactly I don't know...but I'm sure that he'll see some action if he sticks around. Won't be a Calder candidate by any stretch of the imagination, but I wouldn't be surprised if Vermette sticks around until Havlat's agent get his head out of his derriere and get's Havlat signed.

Old
10-07-2003, 05:38 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

As we await final cuts today, I suspect that Vermette will be sent to Binghamton. I don't think it would be in his best interest to play on the 4th line when he could be playing 1st line minutes in Bingo (see Spezza debate last year). It appears the lines will be as follows:

Schaefer-Bonk-Hossa
White-Spezza-Alfredsson
Schastlivy-Smolinski-Varada
?-Van Allen-Neil

at least until Fisher comes back and Havlat signs. So it is my hunch that Vermette will be sent down and someone like Denis Hamel will take the 4th line LW spot (or Jody Hull)

Old
10-07-2003, 08:26 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
As we await final cuts today, I suspect that Vermette will be sent to Binghamton. I don't think it would be in his best interest to play on the 4th line when he could be playing 1st line minutes in Bingo (see Spezza debate last year). It appears the lines will be as follows:

Schaefer-Bonk-Hossa
White-Spezza-Alfredsson
Schastlivy-Smolinski-Varada
?-Van Allen-Neil

at least until Fisher comes back and Havlat signs. So it is my hunch that Vermette will be sent down and someone like Denis Hamel will take the 4th line LW spot (or Jody Hull)

Maybe I'm wrong...he hasn't been cut yet. So far, Vauclair, Emery, Giroux, Kelly, Corso, Payer and Langfeld have been cut...Hull, Hamel and Vermette have not...more to come by 3pm.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:40 AM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
Maybe I'm wrong...he hasn't been cut yet. So far, Vauclair, Emery, Giroux, Kelly, Corso, Payer and Langfeld have been cut...Hull, Hamel and Vermette have not...more to come by 3pm.

Team 1200 played an interview of Jacques Martin from today(around 12:30) where he confirmed that Vermette has made the team.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
Team 1200 played an interview of Jacques Martin from today(around 12:30) where he confirmed that Vermette has made the team.
Awesome. I miss Team 1200 here in the evil city of toronto.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:49 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
Sorry...must have missed that. Vermette and Hull have made the team and Denis Hamel and Dennis Bonvie were sent to Bingo:

Final Roster:

C - Radek Bonk
C - Jason Spezza
C - Bryan Smolinski
C - Shaun Van Allen
LW - Peter Schaefer
LW - Petr Schastlivy
LW - Todd White
LW - Antoine Vermette
LW - Jody Hull
RW - Marian Hossa
RW - Daniel Alfredsson
RW - Vaclav Varada
RW - Chris Neil
C - Mike Fisher (INJURED)
D - Wade Redden
D - Zdeno Chara
D - Chris Phillips
D - Karel Rachunek
D - Anton Volchenkov
D - Curtis Leschyshyn
D - Brian Pothier
D - Shane Hnidy
G - Patrick Lalime
G - Martin Prusek

Let's hope Marty signs soon so we get a full lineup!
GO SENS GO!

Old
10-07-2003, 08:53 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
it's not like the sens to keep a rookie around when he's only going to get 3rd or 4th line minutes.
hopefully if he is kept up, he'll get some icetime

Old
10-07-2003, 09:10 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
it's not like the sens to keep a rookie around when he's only going to get 3rd or 4th line minutes.
hopefully if he is kept up, he'll get some icetime
I disagree, they did it with Havlat, and last year with Spezza. I guess the rationale is that with Havlat being signed soon, Vermette will get a few games of NHL experience. If he proves he's ready he'll get to stay with the club - if he doesn't he'll go back to playing Bingo!

Old
10-07-2003, 09:20 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
I disagree, they did it with Havlat, and last year with Spezza. I guess the rationale is that with Havlat being signed soon, Vermette will get a few games of NHL experience. If he proves he's ready he'll get to stay with the club - if he doesn't he'll go back to playing Bingo!
speeza is a terrible example. he played in the AHL half the season. if they plan to let Vermette get his fet wet with a half the season in the NHL and the other half in the aHL, that would be fine imo. i just don't want to see him play 8minutes a night with great regularity

Old
10-07-2003, 10:09 AM
yintin

Why was Giroux sent down when he outplayed Vermette?

All I heard from Jacques was how great this kid is.

Does Jody Hull have compromising pictures of Jacques or something?

Old
10-07-2003, 10:32 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by yintin

Vermette's is the more talented of the two. I didn't see enough of the camp to say who played better, but I expect that the comments of praise for Giroux are indicative how much he exceeded the expectations on they had for him. It doesn't mean that he outplayed Vermette, who had much higher expectations coming in.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:22 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by yintin

I think you have to take the larger view here.

Giroux's a player whose stock is rising, and that's tremendous (I've liked Giroux since his QMJHL days). But he's also a #213 overall pick who has only two years of AHL experience under his belt (one of which saw him benched in the playoffs) and who has never scored more than 35pts.

Compare this with Vermette, who was a 2nd round pick, played top line in his first season in the AHL, had one fewer goal than Giroux's entire point output last year, won the AHL rookie of the year, and brings not only scoring but speed and defensive ability to your team.

Giroux's training camp was impressive, and should hold him in good stead. But Vermette has been pushing for this spot for a while, and deserves his chance.

The one that I do find bizarre is Jody Hull. Given that he was supposedly to serve as a player-coach in Binghamton, I can't really explain why, given that he's injured and can't play anyways, he hasn't been sent to Binghamton to start apprenticing under John Paddock. I have to agree with your 'pictures of Martin' idea... I used to pull my hair out watching Jody Hull take shifts with Hossa last year and botch prime scoring chances left, right and centre. Martin has some sort of strange affinity for certain players that is truly undying.

Old
10-09-2003, 11:52 AM
sensfan18

SensGod, I love the Avatar, had a snarl on all day because of havlat but that made my day.

Old
10-09-2003, 11:55 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan18
SensGod, I love the Avatar, had a snarl on all day because of havlat but that made my day.
I aim to please!

Wait for the one I'm unveiling when the Leafs and Sens play next

Closed Thread