HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Muckler is on the radio right now.

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2003, 05:39 AM
SensGod

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Muckler is on the radio right now.

10:30...http://www.team1200.com

I'll post anything interesting here...

Old
10-09-2003, 05:51 AM
SensGod

- The Sens are willing to negociate.

- Muckler wants a response by 7pm tonight, they want movement in the negociation because they haven't seen any movement to date...if this doesn't happen, they will pull their current offer off the table.

- The contract negociations are at a stand still and it's a waste of time to negociate with them currently. The "issue" is with the agents, they are not being cooperative.

- Marty is asking to be paid based on his potential...not what he's done.

- Sens have offered 1 and 2 year contracts.

- Muckler isn't willing to take a double hit financially for paying for his potential now and when he does have arbitration rights to pay him for what he's done in the past.

- He just wants the compensation to be fare and based on what he does NOW. Not what he'll do in 2-5 years.

That's essentially all they said about Havlat.

Old
10-09-2003, 06:03 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
- The Sens are willing to negociate.

- Muckler wants a response by 7pm tonight, they want movement in the negociation because they haven't seen any movement to date...if this doesn't happen, they will pull their current offer off the table.

- The contract negociations are at a stand still and it's a waste of time to negociate with them currently. The "issue" is with the agents, they are not being cooperative.

- Marty is asking to be paid based on his potential...not what he's done.

- Sens have offered 1 and 2 year contracts.

- Muckler isn't willing to take a double hit financially for paying for his potential now and when he does have arbitration rights to pay him for what he's done in the past.

- He just wants the compensation to be fare and based on what he does NOW. Not what he'll do in 2-5 years.

That's essentially all they said about Havlat.
Interesting comments. It does sound like he's almost daring Havlat to dump his agents. Muckler makes a lot of good arguments, but saying that he's trying to compensate Havlat based on what he's accomplished so far will get him in trouble. That line of thinking opens up the door to comparisons against other players who have been in better bargaining positions.

I'm still suprised that the Sens haven't expressed any interesting in locking Havlat up for longer than 2 years to give up his arbitration rights as well.

Just checked TSN's site, and it looks like things have gotten worse:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=56580

Havlat's going home. Things are officially ugly at this point.

Old
10-09-2003, 06:07 AM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
Interesting comments. It does sound like he's almost daring Havlat to dump his agents. Muckler makes a lot of good arguments, but saying that he's trying to compensate Havlat based on what he's accomplished so far will get him in trouble. That line of thinking opens up the door to comparisons against other players who have been in better bargaining positions.

I'm still suprised that the Sens haven't expressed any interesting in locking Havlat up for longer than 2 years to give up his arbitration rights as well.

niiiiiiiiiiiiice...isn't that just great...

Old
10-09-2003, 07:33 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

maybe they will let him stew for a few weeks, then give him a pro-rated 1 year contract somewhere closer to his demand price.
That way he gets his asking price, but ottawa isn't on the hook for the whole deal, just 75-80% of it.
Its all a sad state of affairs.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:23 AM
Observer

vCash:
Quote:

Havlat's production is nowhere near Hossa's and he's asking for $1.95 million. That's only $100,000 less than Hossa's salary of $2.05 million for this year. If that wouldn't be paying for potential, I don't know what would be.

Havlat doesn't want to be locked in for longer than it takes to get him arbitration rights.

I'd say it's time for the Sens to proceed on the assumption that Havlat won't be with them this year. He makes the team better, but they can win without him if they have to. Time to focus on the ice now and what they have.

I'll miss seeing Havlat play, but I support the Sens in this.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:27 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer
Havlat doesn't want to be locked in for longer than it takes to get him arbitration rights.
We don't know that. Havlat was asking for 2 years, the Sens were offering one. Neither sides has mentioned anything longer than 2 years, from the information we have.

Havlat may not be as good as Hossa was (arguable), but I wouldn't mind having him locked up to the same deal. The Hossa deal is considered to be one of the best bargains in the NHL, especially since if we signed him to a 2 year deal last time, he would have had arbitration rights this summer.

Old
10-09-2003, 08:36 AM
Observer

vCash:
Quote:
We don't know that. Havlat was asking for 2 years, the Sens were offering one. Neither sides has mentioned anything longer than 2 years, from the information we have.

Havlat may not be as good as Hossa was (arguable), but I wouldn't mind having him locked up to the same deal. The Hossa deal is considered to be one of the best bargains in the NHL, especially since if we signed him to a 2 year deal last time, he would have had arbitration rights this summer.
I don't disagree, but Havlat knows the Sens got Hossa at a bargain... he's not falling for the same thing (and therein lies the problem because that's become the Sens' salary structure). The Sens do have a 2 year deal on the table. I'll have to dig it up. It's somewhere in the proximity of $3 million for 2 years. Havlat didn't like it.

When I find it, I'll post it.

The point right now is not that Havlat isn't as good as Hossa... he might turn out to be better - who knows? The point is that last year, Hoss made $2.05 million and got 45 goals and enough assists to bump him over 80 points. Havlat is nowhere near getting those kinds of numbers RIGHT NOW. Thus, paying him like he is getting those numbers is paying for pure potential.

Edit: It's actually a $2.85 million for 2-year deal that was offered.

http://slam.ca/Slam031009/nhl_ott1-sun.html

Closed Thread