HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sami Salo

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2005, 09:23 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Sami Salo

It's really nice to see this guy excel in Vancouver. He was a solid defenseman in Ottawa who could never stay healthy and was stuck behind others on the depth chart. He's just continued to get better in Vancouver and has looked awesome from what I've seen. A nice little 9th round gem for the Sens whose worked out. It also looks like he's figured out how to hit the net with his bomb.

What does everyone think of him right now?

PS: Everyone loves Schaefer in Ottawa and this trade just worked out for both teams.

Old
10-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Knucklez

vCash: 500
I think popular opinion is that he's been our best defenceman so far this season.

He just scored on the PP.

Old
10-16-2005, 09:27 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

has been our best overall dman over the course of the season so far IMO.

But I think he's getting overplayed... he's a solid 20-22 min/night dman... a solid #3 guy... he's been getting a lot more than that, and even played 30 minutes one night.

Salo IMO is a poor man's Ohlund overall... solid at both ends, can play the shutdown role, can play the PP, and is as consistent as they come.... while Ohlund is a #1 guy, Salo is best in a #3 role.

Old
10-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
Salo IMO is a poor man's Ohlund overall... solid at both ends, can play the shutdown role, can play the PP, and is as consistent as they come.... while Ohlund is a #1 guy, Salo is best in a #3 role.
I think this is a perfect description of Salo. I also think Salo is being overplayed at this time, but that's understandable as Ohlund and Jovo have yet to shake off all the rust it seems.

The best part about Salo is his salary though. $1.5 mil for the next two seasons is an absolute steal!

Old
10-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Russian_fanatic

Salo is playing god like right now, and currently playing like a #1 defenseman.

Old
10-16-2005, 09:45 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Nothin' beats the Finnish MacInnis!

Old
10-17-2005, 12:02 AM
Thalia

They were just feeding him too much politics in Ottawa and not enough seafood.

Old
10-17-2005, 12:12 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
Salo is playing god like right now, and currently playing like a #1 defenseman.
IDDQD!

Old
10-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Vman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzilla44
Nothin' beats the Finnish MacInnis!
lol, I think it was CuJo who called him the "Finnish MacInnis" after Salo shot a cannon goal that beat him in the season opener.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:18 AM
Greg7

I'm starting to be convinced that Salo isn't in fact a #3 defenseman, but a #2. Are there really 60 defensemen in the league better than he is? The way he's playing right now, I would say not. If he keeps this up, I have no problem at all continuing to play him 25 minutes a night providing this won't be overworking to the point of increased risk of injury.

Old
10-17-2005, 02:31 AM
Dana Murzyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO

But I think he's getting overplayed... he's a solid 20-22 min/night dman... a solid #3 guy... he's been getting a lot more than that, and even played 30 minutes one night.
This seems to be a common perception among posters, but I don't get it. Is the feeling that he tails off towards the ends of games?

I say if he's playing well, give him the 25+ minutes.

Old
10-17-2005, 02:46 AM
bure94

We're blessed right now that our top 4 guys are absolutely rock solid.

Ohlund is just slowly ramping up from a bad back.

Salo has really stepped up his game.

Allen is blossoming into the #4 overall defenseman pick and so solid.

Jovo is, well, Jovo. Skates like the wind but he'll always have defensive hiccups.

Baumer is doing his job on the #5 role. McCarthy needs to step it up.

We should just roll all three pairs and dont' lean on one guy too much, keep them all fresh till the post season then ride our top four to glory !

Old
10-17-2005, 03:04 AM
Shack

Send a message via MSN to Shack
I think these new rules has helped alot of Salo's play.

He was rock solid when playing with national team in Germany (don't remember the year). I remember when he scored goals like last night. He has huuuuge shot and now he has time to use it on PP.

Öhlund, Jovo, Salo. Canucks has nothing to worry about if these guys stay healthy.

Old
10-17-2005, 04:17 PM
BIG NUCKS

What's IDDQD?
Is Salo outplaying Jovo? I think he is.

Old
10-17-2005, 04:18 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG NUCKS
What's IDDQD?
IDKFA!

Old
10-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
It's really nice to see this guy excel in Vancouver. He was a solid defenseman in Ottawa who could never stay healthy and was stuck behind others on the depth chart. He's just continued to get better in Vancouver and has looked awesome from what I've seen. A nice little 9th round gem for the Sens whose worked out. It also looks like he's figured out how to hit the net with his bomb.

PS: Everyone loves Schaefer in Ottawa and this trade just worked out for both teams.
I was always under the impression that we won on this trade. Most Canucks fans love Salo, and why not? He has been playing very well. And at least I hated Schaeffer. He was greedy.

Old
10-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Impossibles

Quote:

It was a good trade for both teams, but a top 4 defenseman is tougher to find than a 20-25 goal scorer. Ottawa just had a lot of defensive depth at the time.

I don't understand how he could have slipped so late in the draft.

Old
10-18-2005, 11:23 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_LaRue
I was always under the impression that we won on this trade. Most Canucks fans love Salo, and why not? He has been playing very well. And at least I hated Schaeffer. He was greedy.
Schaefer doesn't even make a million a year. I know he held out, but I think it had more to do with the years he was being offered. I think every Sens fan would take Schaefer over Salo because we have more of a need for Schaefer than Salo. But it's nice to see Salo finally develop (And stay healthy) in Vancouver.

Old
10-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Nazzy-19

Salo got a goal and assist tonight putting him 2nd behind McCabe with 8 points.

Old
10-18-2005, 11:41 PM
Kesler Kills Kommies

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
IDKFA!
you misspell IKEA

Old
10-19-2005, 01:47 AM
aftu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver_2010
you misspell IKEA
impulse 9!

Old
10-19-2005, 06:45 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_LaRue
Schaefer wasn't greedy.

His last season here, he earned something like $400 000. As an RFA at the end of the season, the team gave him a qualifying offer of about $450 000. In negotiations, he asked for a 2-year deal at $700 000/year. Which seemed pretty fair at the time, and still does. On a two-year deal, what Burke was offering was barely over the QO.

With training camp approaching, negotiations on a long-term deal were going nowhere, and Schaefer agreed to play for his $450 000 QO. Problem was, per NHL rules that offer expires a month after it was offered, so it was no longer on the table. Burke countered with a one-year deal at $300 000, a large pay cut from what he earned the previous year, and told him to take it or leave it. Schaefer was pissed off, and rightly so. I wouldn't have taken that offer, either. Burke made a nice trade to salvage the situation, but that was absolutely brutal handling of a quality young player. I don't blame Schaefer at all.

Salo looks like a Norris canditate out there right now. It probably won't last, but I don't know if there's a defender in the entire league who's played better to this point. 2nd in points, top-10 in icetime, rock-solid defensively.

Old
10-19-2005, 07:09 PM
F A N

Didn't Burke want Schaeffer to signed a similar deal that Cooke and I believe Sopel signed and Schaeffer felt he was more proven at that time than any of those three and deserved more? He was right of course, Cooke's deal was really horrible from a player's perspective and so was Sopel's until he hit his bonuses.

Old
10-19-2005, 07:56 PM
THE SOVIET*

Send a message via AIM to THE SOVIET* Send a message via Yahoo to THE SOVIET*
Yup it was really a tiff over a couple hundred thousand dollars, oh well, it's worked out well for us even though at the time I was ready to send Burke packing as Scahfer was well worth what he was asking.

Old
10-19-2005, 08:18 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
I think every Sens fan would take Schaefer over Salo because we have more of a need for Schaefer than Salo.
Maybe some of the fans would, but John Muckler sure as hell wouldn't. A top 3 defenceman or a 3rd liner? Tough decision...

Closed Thread